Running Bear’s July 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
greg, I don’t have a track plan of the current layout. I have the old framework plan without track that I used to build and will work on a new one with current pictures. This is from 2015 and the Rail Pro control system has been sold. It stayed pretty much as is until 3/2021

Tom: I can recognize actual landmarks like Rib Mountain and other details like the pulp yard and sawdust facility on the layout that you shared photos of with the Forum members. Thanks for sharing. -Greg

Good Morning!
Aside from the 2 week long, overly warm pressure cooker we were into earlier, this is turning out to be one of the finest summers I can ever remember. The temps are maintaining in the mid-60's where I like it, and there's only been a bit of rain, usually falling in the evening. The only ruinous events taking place, are all those darned forest fires. Those are devastating; purely sinful.
I would hate to loose the forest where I walk the dog. It so comforting and peaceful in there. 'Sky' is in heaven when I take her in every day:
WtCrtForest_07-20-2021 (1).jpg

Sometimes we get to pick blueberries, but, I believe it was too hot earlier and as a result, it's a bad year for berries.

Guy of the North, again I will say, your photo taking to ME is very helpful. For weathering purposes I could not ask for anything better. Just when you take a picture of the CN staging yard by you there are so many layout elements in the scenery around the trackage to learn from. So, even if you don’t post a picture we are missing you, so stop in and say HI.
Thank you for the very kind words, TomO! No need to worry, I come in for a coffee when I feel the need to socialize and have something worth sharing. I don't take photos of trains every day, and I already have so many of the Whitecourt CN yard, that I'm only going down now if I see something unusual or new.
I'm actually looking to expand my travels to locations outside of Town, like the rail-served glossy paper mill a few miles out. The trouble with that is, it would be the same CN engines and rolling stock. My out of the way area has limits as far as rail action goes.
I do consider flat hood engines coming into town as photo worthy, like this C40-8:
CN 2100_C40-8_07-19-2021 (2).jpg

Anyway, the wife has me building birdbaths right now. So birdbaths are the extent of my modeling at this time. This one under construction is the third bath I've built for her:
BrdBth_07-25-2021.jpg

It's kind of a two tier deal, where one rabbit will pour water to the other rabbit and then down into the bowl. This one is 120v; I'm done with the lack of dependability of solar pumps without battery back-up.
The wife is getting me to build all these fountains, because she is having a love affair with the hummingbird coming into the yard. You can see it in the left corner of this photo:
HumBird_07-25-2021.jpg

The bird likes those red flowers. Don't ask me what they are called; something 'millions'.

Willie - I wanted to mention how very sad I was to read about your younger brother. Reading that hit me deep, as I have experienced similar in my own family history. I never could come up with something comforting or helpful to say about such things; I guess there just are no words. Just wanted you to know how sad I am to hear this news. May your family find a resolution and peace.

Steve - That has gotta be about the finest, most elaborate trestle model I have ever seen. Truly amazing. Thanks for posting.

That's about all I have to say for today. See you soon, and have a good one!

Good morning. Been MIA for a while. Went up into the mountains camping with some friends who have a really nice fifth wheel trailer. With the temperatures at home in the 90's it was a lot cooler up there.

Got back Wednesday evening and it was time to get back to the chores that had been neglected. Did make it over to the club Thursday. Helped the neighbor with a few of his home projects. Poor guy didn't have the proper tools or knowledge for what he wanted to get done. We got most of it done on Friday and finished on Saturday.

The lawn was starting to look like a jungle and I got the front half mowed Saturday and this morning not only got the rest mowed, but had made the trip to town for groceries and did the laundry.

Dakota Love - I used to take the North Coast Limited (or the Hiawatha) to Chicago and then took the South Shore Line into Indiana to visit relatives. I think I enjoyed the train trip, and the food, more than the visit. Here is the North Coast Limited in Livingston just passed the depot where my club is at 5th Street. I wonder if that '59 Impala is the one that I restored.
North%20Coast%20Limited%20at%20Livingston.jpg

Alan - Nice job on that locomotive.

Greg
- Happy to see you're getting around a little better.

Willie - I look forward to seeing your layout photos. Amazing detail work.

Terry - Looking at your photos, it's hard to believe that they are N scale.

Here are some photos from the club last Thursday. The first 2 are of the N scale layout at the club. Alittle blurry as the trains were moving and the light wasn't the best.

thumbnail_20210722_180637.jpg

thumbnail_20210722_142019.jpg

Some more shots of the RDC. There was an incident blocking both main lines so it was nice the be able to just back up and go the other way.

20210722_141646.jpg

20210722_141628.jpg

Here the RDC stopped to let the passengers get a good look at the bears on the pole.

20210722_135709.jpg

Dewey brought his Yellowstone today pulling his ore train. Here it is being overtaken by diesel power.

thumbnail_20210722_135328.jpg

thumbnail_20210722_135909.jpg

Here are some Great Northern FT's that Geoprgehad and was part of the incident. He got busy running his mouth and rear ended Dewey's ore train.

thumbnail_20210722_135321.jpg

thumbnail_20210722_135205.jpg

Gotta go, LATER

When I'm desperate (or for any others reason) I eat a lot of Lindt Dark Chocolate (my favorite brand).

View attachment 130266

Have you tried their 100% ?? In all seriousness, it is quite good. Not like the old baking chocolate from when I was a kid. I got a bar for Christmas or my birthday a year ago and then for Father's Day this year another one. I normally eat the 90% -- 95% (Lindt, or the Sams Choice from Walmart, which is Swiss made and surprisingly good)

Good evening gang!

🙏
Chet, great pics at the club layout!

Willie, We'll keep your brother in our prayers. 🙏🙏🙏

Alan, awesome work on the brass locos!

Christian, I'm sorry things didn't go as planned. Maybe some small industrial layout with lots of switching operations would fit? BTW, there is no excuse needed for chocolate consumption. I consider it one of the food groups.

Speaking of layout planning, I am at a crossroads. SWMBO really doesn't care about usage of the one end of the basement, as long as there is a clear shot to the laundry room. There is also another area on the opposite end of the laundry room that I can use. The problem is access from one area to another and back again. I've thought about punching holes in the walls, but then I have to avoid the appliances (including the water heater and a freezer) I'm gonna try to schedule a visit with a buddy/planning guru in the very near future. Meanwhile its more slow progress on the loco fleet.

Time for shut eye, cya tomorrow!

Good evening Shop Dwellers! It's 79*F and calm under partly cloudy skies here in central MD. To the 10 of you who "clicked the button" on my Friday post, a heartfelt THANKS - though I don't have enough time now to mention names.

I didn't get much time for mrr activity this weekend. I slept until 9:30am on Saturday, then after breakfast I was out on errands to fill up my two gasoline jugs and the car, Home Depot to get a new weed whacker string, and then the supermarket for my semi-weekly food shopping. After lunch it was time to tackle the lawn and then irrigate all of SWMBO's small vegetable gardens. Those activities kept me busy until suppertime. After that I had to track my wife's returning flight to BWI so I could be there to pick her up immediately after her plane landed.

That was my Saturday, today I once again slept in but got up just in time for 10am Mass. Then, since [according to the Archbishop of my diocese] it was Grandparents Day, we both spent the afternoon visiting our 8-month-old grandson, who is just now starting to crawl - yikes! Daughter and SIL better make sure all those cabinets are locked, starirways closed-off, and all small objects (other than his toys) off the floor. So far they appear to be doing a good job staying on top of that...

I did manage to grab ~3 hours of time this afternoon to continue working on my Ford plant building facade. Now I've started putting in all the window frames [~70 altogether] and got the first 15 done. A few of them needed to be trimmed so they could fit in places where two wall panels are joined. Didn't have time to snap any photos, sorry about that!

Willie - I've made up a prayer index card for your brother. A neighbor of mine passed away from that same disease in 2006, and seeing what he went thru made a powerful impression on me! I have reflux, and have been seeing my GI doc for an upper endoscopy every three years to make sure it doesn't morph into Barrett's.

No time for any further conversation, since I'm racing the calendar to get this auto plant done before the end of August and spend the following 7 weeks setting up the trains for the MER 2021 show. This forces me to choose between writing long posts here or work on the Ford plant. Hopefully things will return more to normal once the big event has come and gone.

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Good Morning All,

I did make the St. Paul train show and market. I'll show some pics of my acquisitions tomorrow, as not much time this morning. Also went to the

Hennepin Overland RHS

Whew, doggy! That's some layout!! That trestle bridge alone is worth the time to study! Placard said it was done essentially by one man, and that he won an award for it!

View attachment 130245

--------Steve J

Hey Steve! Glad you enjoyed our club. We definitely have some gems to show off, such as that trestle. (Clothespin Canyon Trestle). Myself and a friend measured it after the open house, that span clocks in at 9' 6" along the deck, or 8'4" as the crow flies. That bridge has sat long, unused, until recently. We can now run trains up to that mountain, although we can't turn around up there yet. Hopefully you can come back when we can actually run reliably up there.

Did you see a really tall, bearded guy? That's me! You may have seen one of my trains, anyway. I had a big ol' NP Z-8 challenger cruising around, and the freight train with three MILW F7's is mine, too.

IMG_20210626_161907903s.jpg IMG_20210724_2229013832.jpg

Dakota Love - I used to take the North Coast Limited (or the Hiawatha) to Chicago and then took the South Shore Line into Indiana to visit relatives. I think I enjoyed the train trip, and the food, more than the visit. Here is the North Coast Limited in Livingston just passed the depot where my club is at 5th Street. I wonder if that '59 Impala is the one that I restored.
View attachment 130277

Nice, Montanan. I'm not a die-hard NP guy by any means (my Z-8 may argue that, though), Milwaukee is my dominant interest, but between that and my desire to model some early BN, NP falls in my lap. Lowey scheme is definitely one of my favorites, but the plain black and yellow NP style is such a simple pleasure as far as paintjobs go.

Your club photos are awesome, by the way!

Funny enough, I traded six C&NW grain hoppers to a guy for one Athearn RTR SD45 in NP paint. Since then about four people in my clubs have been trying to buy it off of me. It's a gorgeous loco. Patching it for BN will sting, but thankfully it's really only a number change.
IMG_20200607_191418584~3.jpg

Morning All,

Partly cloudy and 73° here going for a muggy high of 97° and feels like temps of 104-109° today and most of the week. Temps expected to hit 100°+ by the weekend with feels likes to the 110° range.

Got the bushes planted and finished the landscape box for the kid. Along with getting the yard mowed, I was pretty heat wiped out most of the weekend. I really hat sweating and the older I get, the less I like it. The wife called me on the way home Friday and said I ought to run to KC to visit with mom. 20 minutes later I get a text from my sister that the care home we have mom in is on lockdown due to a positive test in a staff member. After about 24 hours, they announced that no infections were found among the residents and outside visits would be allowed. If there were no positives in the next 2 weeks, then normal visits would resume on the 4th.

Willie: Sorry to hear about your brother. Added him to the prayer list.

Jaz: The mower deck had a torsion spring that was supposed to help level it. Due to the age of the mower, it was damaged and the local dealer can no longer get a replacement. It is a 12 year old mower, so it isn't going to live forever.

Karl: Nice S-10. I never cared for that particular body style. I had a '93 I traded for a minivan for the wife in '98. Kids were small adult size so we needed a bigger vehicle. I still miss that truck. But I like the Colorados more than the 2nd generation S-10s. I like the 2nd generation Colorados less than the first generations as well. Enough so that I bought the 2nd of my first gen Colorados instead of a 2nd gen.

Last edited:
Good Morning All. Clear and 75° with a slight haze. Despite the best intents of the NWS, it did not reach 100° yesterday, topping out at only 96°. That's still under our average for this time of year. Mother Nature will try again today.
Got up yesterday morning and we discovered that the toilets wouldn't flush well. I spent a couple of hours with a bladder getting things to flow again. My problem is an extra long sewer line to the septic tank that is nearly but not quite horizontal with only 8" of drop over 100'. Added to that is that we remodeled our bathrooms in the last few years and the toilets that my wife selected are low-volume flush, and I no longer get the "wooosh" through the line. The old ones provided enough water flow each time to clear the line all the way, mostly. For those not familiar with a bladder, see here. In the process I discovered that my 100' garden hose was actually 115'. I was at the end of the line and didn't know it and ended up adding an extra 200 gallons of water to the tank!
I wish to thank all fellow Coffee Shop patrons for the prayers and well wishes for my brother. The trip to see him yesterday went well. He is physically able to move around well, except for his right arm and he is unable to speak more than a whisper. He is in good spirits and feels that he can beat back this stage four esophageal cancer, but the tumor has not responded to two months of treatment yet. He takes care of himself except for the feeding which a lot of other family members help him with. Two hands are needed, otherwise he could do it himself. A nephew and five nieces and their spouses all live with two blocks and assist with house and yard tasks, while our immediate siblings rotate the feeding schedule. He still lives in our family home that Dad purchased in 1961, and it is the only home that he has ever lived in! I pointed out to my wife that I moved out 51 years ago to go to college, and the exact same furniture is still there in the exact same places as when I left. She pointed out that my parents actually replaced the TV sometime in the late 70's, but he still uses it. She agreed though as she has been going there for nearly 50 years herself.
We went to my daughter's home to pick up the other daughter's dog afterward and ended up going out to eat at my granddaughter's favorite Mexican diner before heading home ourselves. It was a long day for me.

Thanks to all who liked or commented on my layout photos yesterday; Tom, Troy, Sherrel, Steve J, Guy, Tom O, Christian, Karl, Garry, Hughie, Chet, Ken, Rick, Gary, Patrick.

Just a large apple fritter and an OJ this morning Flo. I overate at supper last night.

One of the rare days yesterday that I didn't visit the train shed, so no progress update today.
I did snap a picture of one of the local hummingbirds while it visited the feeder. Not as good as Guy's picture, but these critters are not easily posed. It's just off to the lower right of the feeder.
IMG_6933 (2).JPG

Steve J - Yes that is a rather impressive trestle. I think that Steve (dakota) posted a picture of it a few yeas ago. I'd love to visit that club which is just up the highway (IH35) from me, but is 950 miles away!
Tom O - I have been really lucky with the pool temperature this year. Partly cloudy days and clear nights have kept the temperature between 80° and 84° on all but two days since opening it up around Memorial Day. That will change soon, but despite the air temperature increase, it is supposed to still be somewhat cloudy for a few more days. Contrary to what a lot of people think, air does very little to heat pool water, the sun does it! Air plays a bigger role in allowing cool down though. This applies to outdoor pools only.
Sherrel - That's interesting about the Convair 880.
Christian - Maybe you should have given the chocolates to your wife during negotiations! I never met a woman who could resist them.;)
Chet - Don't you still have that '59 Chevy? By the way, you're no slouch when it comes to details on your layout. Great club pictures once again. I don't remember you ever posting that they had an N scale layout as well.
Karl - Move the laundry room and combine the rest for a bigger area.
Ken - I get the upper endoscopy every time I get a colonoscopy as well. Two for the price of one! Actually Medicare and my insurance supplement pays for it all so I only pay premiums.

Everybody have a great day.

G'morning,

Nice day yesterday and got some decent work done downstairs. I spent some love on the Micro Engineering TOs for my yard. Glued up the head stock extensions and glued up the targets which, if you are not familiar, are two piece potmetal. A true PIA to glue those up, but since I have eleven of them to do - I managed. Sure enough, by the end of the 'run' I had gotten a pretty good technique and system - - - - and will never use that exact skill set ever again! But the learning and figuring and head-scratching is valuable lesssons-learned, and any task mastered will only make me a better modeler, right?

From the train show Saturday, here is the star of my purchases:

20210726_074027.jpg

20210726_074044.jpg

It is an Accurail and is great with metal wheels and Kadee couplers. The only thing I do not like is the bright, shiny wheels - - - any tips on how to tone those down?

Then some 'project' cars:
20210726_074146.jpg

20210726_074237.jpg

20210726_074356.jpg

ANybody know how to get ice bunker hatches for that?

Golf today. One of the guys I knew in the VFW was found dead in his home last week. Was undiscovered for at least a week. Very sad. Will try to reach out to the family and offer my assistance.

Other than that, spent the afternoon with both daughters and oldest girl's BF. We were supposed to go to the Twins game, but was too hot. So we sat inside and enjoyed a couple beers and chit-chatted the afternoon away. This guy is apparently very impressed with me and thinks I am quite an inspiration to him - - - - - - - - wonder why my own sons think the opposite.

Anyway, enjoy the day which is a gift! ------ Steve J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back