Running Bear's March 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
4141 no longer belongs to UP, it was donated permanently to the Bush museum November 9, 2019. It has not run since that time.
He got the info from a friend that works for UP. Found this, talks about how it was to arrive this spring.

Last edited:
Good morning from central Absurdistan! Where the local school board wants to put kids back in school despite a huge spike in student cases, the ex wives are crazy, and the gubmint wants to disarm the cops!
Makes me want to turn off my phone and hibernate in the basement! 🚂🚂🚂

Morning all,

50° and some thunderstorms in the area this morning. Under a Flood Watch through Monday morning as we're expecting 3+ inches of rain through the weekend. Otherwise near seasonal temps. I'll have to watch the basement as I do have a leak around where the water line comes into the house. The first rains of the season usually cause it to leak, but depending on conditions, won't leak again for months. Like the mud has to reseal it against the foundation. I use some paper towels and a 13 gallon trash can. Put the paper towels over the lip of the trashcan, with the long part into the can and push it against the wall. Like a siphon, it draws the water into the can instead of the basement floor. Much cheaper than digging up the foundation wall. Did I mention I was cheap???

Ken: There are days I wish it were someone else's issues as well.... 😄

Karl: My good fortune is that I don't have a crazy ex-wife. Otherwise it's western absurdistan here!

Morning all,

50° and some thunderstorms in the area this morning. Under a Flood Watch through Monday morning as we're expecting 3+ inches of rain through the weekend. Otherwise near seasonal temps. I'll have to watch the basement as I do have a leak around where the water line comes into the house. The first rains of the season usually cause it to leak, but depending on conditions, won't leak again for months. Like the mud has to reseal it against the foundation. I use some paper towels and a 13 gallon trash can. Put the paper towels over the lip of the trashcan, with the long part into the can and push it against the wall. Like a siphon, it draws the water into the can instead of the basement floor. Much cheaper than digging up the foundation wall. Did I mention I was cheap???

Ken: There are days I wish it were someone else's issues as well.... 😄

Karl: My good fortune is that I don't have a crazy ex-wife. Otherwise it's western absurdistan here!

Patrick, not cheap, resourceful ! Actually, there are 2 ex-wives, thank goodness one doesn't talk to me. The other is the mother of 3 of my adult sons. and I try to not talk to her, unless it concerns one of the boys. Sometimes it cannot be avoided. 🥴

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 68° on this fine morning. Slept last night with the bedroom windows open and the ceiling fan on. First time this season. Temperatures still going to stay in the 70's for another five days, before cooling back to the upper 60's on Wednesday. NWS is predicting isolated thunderstorms for today, but the closest ones on the radar are in either Kansas or New Mexico, both over 300 miles away. Spring has definitely arrived in my corner of the world, as the weeping willow tree in the yard has started leafing out.
My granddog was dropped off last night for a vacation in the country with me while my daughter and family along with my wife go to the Texas Gulf Coast for a week on the beach. Did I ever mention that my wife likes the beach? It's her fourth trip in the last nine months, only once with me. Meanwhile today is the grocery/beer trek, delayed from yesterday.
I believe that Murphy has left the SFW estate for now, don't know where he is heading on his way back to Terry's place. A small consolation from the computer failure is that I found 50 pictures that I had failed to delete from the camera. Still bums me out though. I did eventually pass two kidney stones late yesterday, at least they had passed the painful stage Wednesday night. As I posted yesterday, I have to send the new computer back to HP at their expense since it is under warranty. Just waiting for FedEx to bring me the prepaid box.

How about a tall stack of blueberry pancakes and a matching stack of sausage patties this morning Flo. Lots of that great Vermont maple syrup and a tall glass of OJ to go with it.

Thanks for the reactions and comments yesterday, even though I didn't post any photos; Karl, Tom O, Rick, Sherrel, Hughie, Jaz, Patrick, Tom, Ken, Gary S.

I didn't spend a lot of time in the train shed yesterday as I caught up on life and spent 90 minutes on the phone with HP tech support. I did get about another three feet of ballast done on the main line.
Well, since Jaz was showing off her goats and chickens the other day, I thought I would show off mine. No ducks though!
03-12-21 120.JPG

03-12-21 119.JPG

And a few other critters as well.
03-12-21 104.JPG

03-12-21 105.JPG

03-12-21 103.JPG

03-12-21 106.JPG

Tom O - Good for you on the first vaccine shot. It has been a comforting feeling for me, even though I avoided the plague for almost a year before finally being able to get mine.
Troy - Good also for you and your wife with the vaccine. You're the first one that I heard of to get the Pfizer one, wife and I both got Moderna. I'm not sure that it matters really.
Jaz - Say, is that Astra Zeneca vaccine a two dose vaccine? We don't hear much about that one over here in the colonies.
Tom/Terry - I believe that UP 4141 was making its final move from the Little Rock shops to the museum in College Station. Other than Tom's mention, the story has not been carried by any local media yet.
Karl -
...the local school board wants to put kids back in school despite a huge spike in student cases,
Interesting about the spike. The three local school districts nearest me (and most in my county) have had in-classroom learning since September without incident.

So today is National Girl Scout Day. Be sure to buy some cookies. I saw a picture earlier this week of a couple of enterprising young ladies who had set up a stand outside a medicinal pot shop in Oklahoma.
Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend coming up. Remember that Monday is the start of St. Patrick's Week for us Irish descendants.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 68° on this fine morning. Slept last night with the bedroom windows open and the ceiling fan on. First time this season. Temperatures still going to stay in the 70's for another five days, before cooling back to the upper 60's on Wednesday. NWS is predicting isolated thunderstorms for today, but the closest ones on the radar are in either Kansas or New Mexico, both over 300 miles away. Spring has definitely arrived in my corner of the world, as the weeping willow tree in the yard has started leafing out.
My granddog was dropped off last night for a vacation in the country with me while my daughter and family along with my wife go to the Texas Gulf Coast for a week on the beach. Did I ever mention that my wife likes the beach? It's her fourth trip in the last nine months, only once with me. Meanwhile today is the grocery/beer trek, delayed from yesterday.
I believe that Murphy has left the SFW estate for now, don't know where he is heading on his way back to Terry's place. A small consolation from the computer failure is that I found 50 pictures that I had failed to delete from the camera. Still bums me out though. I did eventually pass two kidney stones late yesterday, at least they had passed the painful stage Wednesday night. As I posted yesterday, I have to send the new computer back to HP at their expense since it is under warranty. Just waiting for FedEx to bring me the prepaid box.

How about a tall stack of blueberry pancakes and a matching stack of sausage patties this morning Flo. Lots of that great Vermont maple syrup and a tall glass of OJ to go with it.

Thanks for the reactions and comments yesterday, even though I didn't post any photos; Karl, Tom O, Rick, Sherrel, Hughie, Jaz, Patrick, Tom, Ken, Gary S.
Nice critters Willie, but also, nice junk! This kind of stuff really "makes" a scene, and you can go on doing it as long as you want. Why isn't that snake painted up like a diamondback rattler?

Last edited:
It's cooled off a bit here in SE Wisconsin, but still sunny and nice. Off to the clinic for my first Covid shot today.

Last night I completed the tower roof and installed it. As the manual says You have to take care to make sure it sits level, but also make sure it gets properly centered. There's room for it to move off center if you aren't careful. I have an aged copper Reaper color I'm going to try on the spire/lightning rod and we'll see how it does depicting the greenish film that accumulates on these fixtures in the real world. The rest of the session was spent adding detail to the welding shop walls and installing the doors. Lots to do here yet, but so far so good!

I didn't get too much play time in with the Ultimation sander last night, but I did fix a few loading dock legs, and I'm already sold, or maybe I should say sold again. I find it much easier and more reliable than the True Sander. The default 90 degree feature is also very handy for small pieces and easier to use than the NWSL tool. This thing was expensive, but worth it IMNSHO. if you work with wood or craftsman kits often, it's worth considering.

Main Building Tower Roof.JPG

Welding Shop Detail.JPG

Good morning from So. Central Wisconsin about 80 miles west of EsPeefan, Alan in Milwaukee. Our skies are bright and clear and looking to hit a temperature of 51f degrees.

Alan, glad you also got the vaccine. Those pictures are great.
Willie, my shot was the Pfizer shot. I am not a real fan of adding critters to the layout but have been rethinking that. I do model the Wisconsin landscape even though it is now a freelance RR. The Little People I purchased from miniprints.ca are extremely well detailed. Cows and birds including eagles are a consideration now. I have the pastures and water areas for placement. NO SNAKES though.
Your chicken coop is so cool.
Patrick, not cool to have a leak. That would drive me nuts but definitely I understand not wanting to dig up stuff.

My son called yesterday, I love when he calls as 99% of the time he texts me. He does call his mom though. He is flying in and should be here around dinner depending on winds. His plane doesn’t have the capability to make the trip non stop. His copilot/girlfriend is not coming.

I am re-organizing the work area.

Enjoy your day
TomO
77699615-DB9D-442A-A216-80AE7205DE47.jpeg

My kids' school (small charter school) split the classes in half and has had half the kids in school each day and the other half in a live Zoom session participating in the class. The two halves switch each day so each kid gets half their classes in school and half through live participation through Zoom with the kids who are in school. They've had no Covid issues. They did it that way to just give everyone a little more space to "social distance."

Other schools have been in school (though I think some schools went to a 4 day schedule). Some HS had "outbreaks" periodically where a rise in cases was noticed. Not sure the details, but these are large HS with 3000+ students.

Afternoon fellers. I hope everyone is doing well. With the loss of my Varipulse I fired up my Tech 4 260 again. Man alive i forgot how powerful that thing is! It's no wonder it was my primary throttle for three seperate layouts. That thing just performs. Just to mess around with it i put three of my proto 2000s together. Cranked the throttle on it and it didnt even bat an eye at it. I wish I could put the 260 in a walk around case that's for sure. With that being said I'll be adding some more MRC to the layout hopefully in the next few days. Be back to business tonight. I'll continue the painting of my merchants row kit. It's coming along nicely for a true first time effort. Hopefully get it put together this weekend. Then its road building time. That's all I have for now. I'll post my progress later on the merchants row kit. Its Friday fellers!

Cheap is not always bad especially if it works,
two doses, yes and despite the arguments over it I am okay with it, luckily we live in a village and rarely go near anyone else and despite all the bad press there has been little issues with it,Macron the French president hates us for Brexit,and the fact we have not sunk down a deep hole,he started maligning,it has caused a number of EU countries to moan about despite no figures to back up the claims, several countries now in the EU are struggling to get their citizens to take it, even their governments are wary,and yet their rollout of other vaccines is very low,and the EU have upset Australia stopping an export of 250,000 vaccines to them too,and their cases? Not doing too well,where as despite us having this so called useless vaccine our cases are going well.....hope crossed fingers....another mutation does not ness with our rollout.but yes I will need a second, and they ask you to wait 15 minutes in case of issues,usually I have reactions to drugs but despite the sore arm for 2 days I appear to be fine. I trust my prime minister more than I trust the french president even though on the odd occasion I would like to give him a big slap lol.

rust
640C068E-0509-446F-945E-1BF82C9F3823.jpeg

i can’t photos of the build on this
but I painted the main colour first,
added a little white to each to denote fade
dabbed brown on,
then dab orangey brown on the brown,
then dribble black on the original base colour,
then finally a transparent black dribble, allow to
and a second transparent black dribble,
allow the paint to follow a downward motion as in nature, not painting it.
if you struggle with a paint brush a small syringe has control.

Last edited:
Well Good Afternoon all! Some really nice weather the last few days. Mowed the weeds yesterday in hopes of limiting sticker burrs. Our dogs picks them up like magnets and they are a royal pain to get out of his fur. Made a curbside.
Today I got a little time in the train room. Worked on setting Pinkham's Pallet and Keg. I'm happy with the results.
Pinkham - 4.jpg

Pinkham - 5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back