Running Bear’s October 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news... but most of us come here to get away from the poly tics and Covid stuff. I've got three tabs open on the browser currently for that. This is my little corner of sanity now. ;)

In other news, I'm looking for something that may exist - but I'm having a difficult time locating. A pass through or arched bridge for N-scale in the 6 to 7 inch range. Found one laser cut. Was hoping for plastic. Any leads?

In other news, stopped at my LHS, and someone brought in a truckload of HO scale Elvis "Love Me Tender" and "Heartbreak Hotel" cars. Yes, you can have a full yard of the King on your HO layout!

View attachment 118033
"but most of us come here to get away from the poly tics and Covid stuff. I've got three tabs open on the browser currently for that".

You are a Tiger for punishment, aren't you!

"but most of us come here to get away from the poly tics and Covid stuff. I've got three tabs open on the browser currently for that".

You are a Tiger for punishment, aren't you!
I've got two degrees in Journalism, and used to teach it at University level.

Yep... Glutton for punishment. Just not to the Tiger King level (yet). ;)

Alan, those are beauties! 🤤 🤤 I haven't really looked at them before, I knew they were kind of spendy though, around the $40.00 ? Somebody is bidding on a Tangent Gen. Amer. 3 dome 6000 gal. car for $80.00. I like'm, but not $80.00 worth......

I wouldn't pay that for that model either, but then I bought mine when they ran them, and paid their going rate of $44.95 per. They are no more expensive than any of the other high quality manufacturers. Tangent, ExactRail, Scale Trains, Intermountain, Athearn Genesis and lets not forget Rapido. That's where the price point is these days for that level of detail. That's also why I only bought two 😁 They'll discount if you buy six or more. They track well, are properly weighted, and are accurate. As for that $80.00 model, that happens with some models. You should see what some out of production Walthers passenger cars bring! I recall when plated Santa Fe 10-6 Palm series sleepers were bringing upwards of $200.00 each. Milwaukee Road great domes and skytop observation cars bring a pretty penny too, if you can find them! Supply and demand.

Good Morning All. Clear and 55° in this part of the USA. No rain in sight for the next ten days, with highs in the upper 80's for at least a week. Not quite as warm as Sherrel's weather out there in the desert, but very pleasant.
1601985309573.png

Off to a late start this morning. Slept in a bit and then spent some time with the wife.
Spent part of the morning yesterday watering transplanted saplings since it hasn't been raining. While out walking, I looked in on the progress of the lake that the new neighbor down the road is putting in. They have been working on it for five days now, after spending ten days bulldozing down a lot of scrub and reclaiming the area. Seems like it may be around 2.5-3 acres in size. It happens to work out that this is a perfect time to build it with no rain to hamper construction.
Water pipe repair made it through the first day without incident. Now I am waiting for everything to dry out before putting the dirt back into the hole in the ground.

A big old stack of blueberry pancakes and a handful of bacon for me this morning Francine. Bring the whole jug of maple syrup over with them.

Thanks to the entire gang for the likes and positive comments regarding yesterday's railfan adventure; Patrick, Jerome, Troy, Lee, Chad, Sherrel, Tom O, Phil, James, Curt, Chet, Karl, Tom, Ken, Justin, Garry, Jerry.

Train shed time was cut short by a visit from a long time neighbor who needed some assistance moving some furniture inside his house. I was still able to do some more assembly of the Bar Mills Insta-Fence, cutting all of the posts, gluing the last two stringers and trimming most of the sprues. I also hit the Linen Mill structure with a coat of dull coat which toned it down a bit. While DPM included a piece of styrene to make an overhang for the dock doors, I decided to make my own. I used a piece of Evergreen corrugated styrene and three support brackets from a Walther's modular wall kit.
09-26-20 004.JPG

Painted it up yesterday but I did not attach it yet. I want to install the window acetate which is easier with no outside details on the structure.
Meanwhile let's continuing with the railfan adventure following those SD40-2's with its manifest freight going around the layout.
Headed from the industrial park into the town of Maultown, that's a piece of the red Dairy Queen roof encroaching on the right.
10-05-20 010.JPG

On the left is another freight waiting on the siding. Then it's past the abandoned barn just on the outskirts of town.
10-05-20 011.JPG

Now we round the corner and head through an unfinished section of layout.
10-05-20 012.JPG

Our final shot is coming out through a small rural town (as yet unnamed) prior to hitting the plywood prairie where the future ethanol processor will be.
10-06-20 002.JPG

Patrick - Bad news about the siding. We had fiberboard siding on our house when it was first built. Eventually I ripped it all off after 28 years and replaced it with an MDF smart siding product. Like yours, the old siding began to slip and the seams separated, and there was general deterioration. While I had it removed, I wrapped the entire house in Tyveck plastic house wrap to further eliminate heat loss.
Troy -
Salon is close the the LHS,
That's convenient. Have fun with that bridge. That's a lot of Elvis cars. Unfortunately, I like to be more prototypical and I would have no interest in them other than as a curiosity.
I did learn a looong time ago not to show off stuff to my wife. It always led to "I didn't know that you could that"; and then something new showed up on the "honey-do" list.
but most of us come here to get away from the poly tics and Covid stuff
I don't mean to lessen your enjoyment of the site, but many of us are in the "older crowd" and this is actually our version of Facebook.
Tom O - I get the Walther's sale flyer/catalog in the mail once a quarter. Easier than looking the prices up! Looking forward to reading of your results with the Mortar Wash.
Sherrel -
WILLIE - I never liked trying to dig in dry clay - much less wet that you cannot shake off of the shovel!
Felix spent over ten minutes washing his shovel with the hose after the water was back on. More time than he spent on himself.
Better stock up on the gloves, masks, hand sanitizer and disinfectant now. Display them prominently.
Alan - A bit before my era, but those tank cars look really good.
Curt - I have tried several methods to tone down the mortar, some of them also took the brick color off the structure. I did try spraying it with an over-coating of dull coat and that has helped to some extent. Not exactly what I wanted, but a lot closer.
Ken - Hope that the leg is nothing too serious.

Today, October 6, is National Plus Size Appreciation Day. So show me some appreciation and buy me another beer.
Everybody have a great day.

Good Morning - It's 58 going to 95 with clear - we were tricked yesterday and the 94 became 97.
We lost more ground on the rainfall - now we are 38 one-hundredths behind normal.

Daughter arrived from D. C. around 2 pm -- we have her standing in the corner. :D

CHET - No Covid test around here = we have become hermits! :confused:

In the bad news department - discovered some evidence of termites in the corner of the front room.
I need to check and see if I can determine the extent of the damage and location. The evidence was a small mound of droppings on top of the carpet. :eek::mad:

Good Morning, Everyone!
I've been away for the last while; busy with the annual invisible elk hunt and trying to complete some client projects before the snow covers me up. Projects coming up in the fall is not unexpected - people like to enjoy the summer and holiday. Then, come the fall, they begin thinking about getting projects done before snow. As a well known area tradesman, I get calls every year right smack dab in the middle of hunting season. At least I can see the dollars, where I can't seem to see the elk.

I am very impressed with the layout and project photos that have been posted. Please know that I am complimenting you all here in these words; Well Done, Everyone!

I'm on the run again, with only a little time to spare (wife's fault, this time). I did get some mail, though, and have increased my mid-sixties vehicle collection dramatically. Here are some photos taken over the last days:
10-05-2020 (1).jpg

10-04-2020 (1).JPG

10-04-2020 (2).JPG

10-04-2020 (3).JPG

All are Oxford, except for the VW. Some need paint, and I would like to weather all my vehicles appropriately.

And, I've began to clear out space in the basement so I can build my layout over the winter. The space will be at least 12'x14' minimum. It all needs to be prepared before I can really get into it. I'm looking forward to the winter project, though.

Gotta go! The wife is hailing!

Good morning.
The “new” work IT company set our passwords to expire today, and didn’t bother telling anybody.
And we can’t change them here, they have to be changed on their end.
And they aren’t answering the phone or emails.

ALAN - I have several Red Caboose and Proto-2 tank car kits.
Are the Tangent cars any more detailed than those?
Yes, quite a bit so, and unlike the Red Caboose kits, the details tend to stay attached! I built a number of those Red Caboose tank car kits. They were state of the art when they came out, but they didn't like to be handled at all! I've never built the Proto tank car kits, but my experience with other proto kits was such that the Tangent details will be finer and more numerous.

Morning all,

I'll have a big stack of what Willie had this morning. Thanks Francine!

In late as I had a PT appointment to figure out why my "good" knee, hip and back are giving me fits. Turns out my pelvis is displaced. The few exercises I was given have already helped and for the first time since I bought it, I'm actually using the lumbar support in the truck. The '09 Colorado was the first year that the LS (mid-range model) was available at no cost in the WT model (ultra base). Only option when I bought it was the automatic transmission. After an hour and a half I still feel better, including the disc bulge in my neck.

I'm alone for possibly the next 2 weeks as when I got in the boss told me my computer tech and his assistant (PT) were exposed to Covid over the weekend. The do facilities maintenance work as well. At least I don't hang with the kids. I am the only IT only person working for the city.

Since some are posting these here's mine:

Ooey Gooey was a worm,
And such a worm was he.
Once upon the railroad track
The train he did not see.

Ooey Gooey!

I know there are other renditions, but this is the way I heard this when I was young.

I decided to upgrade my MacBook to the latest OS (Catalina) because the last upgrade to Mojave was very unstable.

It’s running now, and I’m reminded of a story I heard on NPR this morning. A filmmaker in the UK was incensed about the British Board of Censors. Didn’t’ like how they rated movies and shows. So he submitted a movie called “Paint Drying”

Ten hours of a camera pointed at a wall with wet paint slowly drying.

Due to the rules, everyone on the board of censors had to watch all 10 hours in real time.

First leg of the computer upgrade started at 37 minutes remaining.

Think I’ll use this ipad and go read some of Jim’s Pinnacle line thread. I officially crossed the half-way point last night

Afternoon All,

Started out doing my laundry (everyone does their own here) then started "planting" bushes until I ran out. The new order should be in by Friday The 2 rockfaces are about 30"x3.5" each and the one on the right hand curve is 24"x7". I also realized that I never ordered the PSX-AR to replace the one I canabolized for the TT, so I ordered that since I'm approaching that area of the layout where it was mounted.

The 2 photos are on the back side of the layout and the back right hand curve.

Sherrel- Enjoy having your daughter at home and hopefully it's not termites.

Chet- Beautiful layout photos.

Ken- I hope the injury is minor.

Troy- Someone must love the "King".

Terry- Nice shot of your layout. I don't remember seeing one before. How does the new Zephyr work for you?

Patrick- Smart thinking rolling MRR stuff into things your wife wants. :D

Jerry- Nice looking bridge.

Willie- Very nice layout scene.

Guy- Nice looking vehicles.

20201006_125551.jpg

20201006_125652.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Last edited:
Afternoon all! It's finally turning fall here in Alabama and I am very appreciative of that (I prefer cooler temperatures). Not much going on in the garage today. I've been trying to decide on a track plan for some time now (loop or point to point) and I've been running the trolley and trains around in different temporary configurations (not soldering the rail joiners). I'm happy with this very simple point to point for the time being. After our next move I'll have a lot more room. I'm attempting to make provisions for that now. Waiting on a few more orders to come in then I'll get foam board and cork road bed down before soldering the rail joiners. Then it'll be time for streets, sidewalks, foliage, and completing the structures. Y'all have a great rest of your day!
20201006_140040.jpg
20201006_140122.jpg
20201006_140139.jpg
20201006_140152.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back