Running Bear’s October 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon Everyone.....sunny and a nice day here in Wisconsin with great fall colors. Looks like convertible weather with the forecast at the cabin. The wife wants me to drive the critter and its been a couple of years since I been behind the wheel.

1602089884654.png

Its getting a bit scary with all the new business closings or those in trouble being reported. I'm glad I'm out of the mall business with so may of them in financial trouble. The location I was at is reported to be the last mall to be left in the Milwaukee area with the others in serious trouble.

I have to get down to the train room after lunch to get my mind off current events. I have a small area on the layout that needs some scenery added and that with be a small project that most people will not see. One project is cleaning the layout room as it always seems to collect debris on the carpet tiles.

Anyone know the difference between regular Elmer's White Glue and Elmer's School Glue? They both look the same to me. I have a gallon of the School glue and would like to start using it.

Tomorrow is my last day of being in Covid 19 Quarantine and I can at least get out to do some shopping or a drive by pick up at Walthers. Several of the Milwaukee area hobby shops have curb side pick up service, but I miss walking around a hobby shop and talking to the owner(s).

Willie: Great pictures of your structures and detailing. I like your Gutter's general store, Bar Mills makes great kits and it good to see them on layouts.

Karl: I like that photo of that steamer heading towards the viewer on the tracks. Very realistic.

troyphoto: I had Home Depot cut my fascia from Masonite 4X8 sheets. Each sheet required two passes and I had three sheets. The clerk didn't want to do two cuts per sheets until I showed him the sign next to the saw that more than one cut is an additional $1.00 and then explain that's one cut per sheet!

Lunch time and then down the stairs.

See all later......

Greg

#############

Attachments

• Bachmann 70 Tonners Consist.jpg
    Bachmann 70 Tonners Consist.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 100
Afternoon All,

I did a quick meet with Phil and Jon (and his wife) this morning in a parking lot in Sorrento. It was good seeing everyone even for just 30 minutes. After coming home I placed and glued down the small bushes next to the roadbed and under the large rockface. Jon returned my 2-8-8-2 from his repair so I will give it a spin tomorrow. I'm going to the VA tomorrow morning for a flu shot and I need to speak to their business office.

Thank you for the likes on my photos yesterday.

Willie- Great looking buildings.

Troy- It looks like you're making great progress.

Karl- Great looking coal drag.

Greg- Neat story about your wife. It just goes to prove you never know when you meet someone. Nice layout photo.

Patrick- I learned something new today about glue. I've started using Denatured Alcohol in my ballast/scenery glue. I googled it and it seems the only difference between it and RA is additives to give it a smell (disappears when dry). RA is really hard to find locally and when you do it's $$, on the other hand Denatured Alcohol is fairly cheap in 1 gallon cans and plentiful.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Thanks Willie for the information.

Would you use Elmer's School Glue for model railroading scenery?

Thanks.

Greg
I've seen reported elsewhere that Elmer's School Glue is water-soluble EVEN AFTER it dries. Getting it out of little Billy's clothing on a regular basis and such.

Use their Glue All and avoid "School" Glue unless you want any glue to come loose as soon as you spray your ballast, etc.

Well I finally caught up with this caravan. Man it doesn't take long to get way behind. Had lots going on in the real world that kind a kept me busy. I did get a little train time in, switching out a few cars. Just not a lot to report.
As always some great photos of models and the real deal.

124186505.btfR3tPz.oldengineer.jpg

HUGHIE -- Your funny is exactly what I grew up with ... dad wanted a petroleum engineer ... mom, a doctor!
After I had been with the airline for 23 years - I was home with them for a Christmas and mom asked me very seriously, "When are you going to stop flying and get a real job?"

Hello Shop Dwellers! 70*F and cloudy with a slight breeze where I'm at.

Tuesday was an interesting day. I went to a 6-month checkup appointment with my primary care doc in the morning; blood samples were taken, plus he gave me a "geezer grade" flu shot. Then when he noticed swelling in my left leg, he ordered a doppler test but the first available appt for that was at 4pm. So I went home and remoted-in to work for ~4 hours, then went back and got my doppler image. They found a small clot near the bottom of my left calf, something that is generally treated by pills on an outpatient basis since this type of clot (below the knee) never goes up to the lungs. However, my p.c. doc told the imaging folks to send me to the E/R at the adjacent hospital and he'd call me as soon as I got there (he never did btw...).

So at 5pm I arrived at the E/R, went thru several cycles of waiting, had an IV port installed inside my right elbow (left elbow was still swollen from the morning blood draw). 30 minutes after that I was brought to a room and told to undress and get into a gown - there went my hopes of enjoying the chili supper that MHO was planning. An hour later, the hospitalist came in to check me out; she (along with 3 other medical professionals) expressed surprise at my being there. She gave me a Rx for Eloquis pills and said she'd send me home. Finally at ~9:15pm, a nurse brought in the discharge papers for me to sign and I got home ~10pm. Had supper, but re-heated chili doesn't taste anywhere near as good as when it's fresh from the CrockPot.

Now you know why I didn't leave a post here on Tuesday!

Between yesterday's hospital ordeal and possible side effects of the flu vaccine, I have zero energy right now. I'm trying not to be pist at my doc for that unnecessary sojourn in the E/R, hopefully my med insurance will still cover the visit. Maybe on Thursday I can start doing mrr activities again.

I'm up. I'm up!

Wait, what, Flo?

Oh, never mind the bathrobe, shorts and jelly sandals. Just looking for a beverage this morning. The Dude abides, man.

Supposed to get my ears lowered again today (haircut for those of you outside the US). Definitely feel Dude level shaggy.

In between the excitement of yesterday, I glued more foam down to the layout. Being inspired by HO-Jim and his Pinnacle Creek layout. I'll try to post to my Still Untitled thread about it.

Oh, and I'm debating on names for my branch line.... what do you think sounds best:
Stihl, Untie and Tohld
or
Steel, Unite and Teld

???

https://media1.tenor.com/images/2e00b96d12ea8e79dfb9c711ba264768/tenor.gif?itemid=3467382
tenor.gif

Good Morning all, a quick check in this morning.
Smoke has moved back in, looked to be about 2-3 miles of visibility at best!
Rain forecast for all of southern Oregon, Northern Cancerfornia on Saturday.....WAAAHOOO! No lightning involved!
Great vids & pics of layouts & more!
Everybody have a great day!
Ta Ta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back