Running Bear's September 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want a scenic drive that is also a lot of fun with a bike or sports car, try US 129 near Deal's Gap, in the mountains of Western North Carolina.
No fun anymore since they reduced the speed limit from 55 mph to 30 mph! We used to take side trips down there when we used to go to the Bristol Motor Speedway years ago. Both before and after the speed limit change.

Afternoon All,

Started out working on the layout. I got all the leads powered and metered. I was going to start testing after lunch but the wife had other plans and instead we went to BJ's :(. Tomorrow I hope to get everything tested.

TomO- I remember when the gender reveal was when the Dr. told you what your baby's sex was.

Tom- Interesting about the NIKE site. My Dad's first duty station in the Army was the NIKE missile site outside Pittsburgh during the mid 50's.

Guy- Great 1:1 photos.

Toot- Great rail shots and amazing looking Eagle.

Troy- My last layout had a 3% grade (HO) and I had issues at the point I was forced to compress the curve to a 21.5" radius (some larger steamers would always derail). This time I am using 2% and it takes either 15 or 16 feet to have a height of 4 inches. Also remember throwing a curve into the equation makes the loco work harder.

Patrick- I had smoked swordfish years ago and it was delicious.

20200908_150131.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

I'll just leave this here...
Last week, I ordered a new keyboard and cover for my iPad. Both shipped via USPS.
Both are currently wandering the USPS system. The keyboard was last scanned at the facility in Greensboro, and disappeared 5 days ago. The cover made it to the same facility, then was sent to Columbus, Ohio, where it still is.

Patrick. My wife gets car sick easy also

Curt. Thanks for the complement these are beginning to be a lot of fun. Your turn table looks good as well.

Garry. Thanks for the complement I appreciate it

Thanks for all the likes and complements yesterday and today I might get some bench work this evening.

Good morning. It was 40F when I got up at 7:15am. It is now 44F at 9:45AM. Supposed to get up to the high 50s. Yesterday when I got up it was around 66F and got up to 90F during the day. What a difference a day makes.

Nix that high 50s. It is 45F at 5:15pm, overcast, and very windy. Parts of downtown SLC are without power -- we live in the burbs but I had to take my son down there for a community college class he is doing as part of his senior HS year. I almost went through a bunch of traffc signals that were out without realizing it.

Nix that high 50s. It is 45F at 5:15pm, overcast, and very windy. Parts of downtown SLC are without power -- we live in the burbs but I had to take my son down there for a community college class he is doing as part of his senior HS year. I almost went through a bunch of traffc signals that were out without realizing it.
Did you keep score of the ones you went through before you realized? Might be handy to pre-calculate the fines.

I havent posted much here in a while, I plan to be more active.
We got rain today! First descent rain all year. Supposed to get down to the high 30's tonight, it was in high 90's yesterday here too.
I, like many others, appreciate the older Blue box type kits. Been working on these Athearn 55' covered hoppers a couple months off and on.
And as usual, I ended up doing waaay to much to them. When will I ever learn? I looked at the end details and thought hhmm, maybe an air tank here, a triple valve there, and now some piping, well we cant have the bulky walkway got a couple etched kits from Plano, then wow those end grabs sure look clunky after all the other details, then snip and sanded all of them off, then I couldn't find the correct straight grabs (why, why did I start this).
Well after drilling 130, #79 holes on each car, for all the walkway mounts and grab irons, I hand bent the straight grab irons, mounted them and the rest along with the walkway mounts with ACC. Then painted and decaled with Herald King decals. I have not worked very much with those decals, I found them to be robust and just a little thicker than what I was used to, but good decals. I then mixed up some epoxy to glue the walkways, then installed Plano cut bars, Walthers trucks and Reboxx wheels finished the basic models. I am gonna run them a while before I give them a dose of light weathering. Any ways a few images of the Arco hoppers.
DSC00765.JPG

DSC00766.JPG

DSC00769.JPG
DSC00770.JPG

DSC00771.JPG

DSC00768.JPG

Thanks for taking a look.
Tom H
Grand Junction CO

Anyone care to explain to me what-the-hell a transgender party is?
Understand that one of the fires started at a party those people were having?

🤣 😝 🤣 🤣😂😅

Actually it was a gender reveal party that started the fire.........oh my......lmao just in case ya didn't know....it's where those crazies decide to have a party for the "bun in the oven" and have some charade to tell the couple as a whole or significant other what sex their baby is.....?

Evening gents! Took a break and started on one of those projects, you know, the kind that wont bother some but it drives you batty. 1st run Atlas Yellow box engines had 2 issues for me. 1st the handrails are too thick and plastic, easily fixed. Replaced with wire when it was painted. The second is the butt ugly cast on fuel tank. Well a certain GP40 has been on my mind recently for that very reason. And it runs too damn well to let this go, as It runs as well as my later run Atlas's . I recently came across a "donor" frame and a late model plastic tank. A little judicious work with a band saw and the bench grinder , and some JB Weld and viola, a new frame takes shape. I'll try to paint it this weekend and start swapping over running gear. Then the body and rigging a new attachment point. A comparison pic is below.
20200908_210912.jpg

Sherril As others have pointed out, its a gender reveal party, to reveal the gender of the coming baby. NOT to be confused with a paternity party, see Maury Povich, Jerry Springer, etc. !

papoose; ( pa·poose | \ pa-ˈpüs ) noun, A consolation prize for taking a chance on an indian blanket.

L8ter gang!

Did you keep score of the ones you went through before you realized? Might be handy to pre-calculate the fines.

Luckily we don't have "Blitz Boxes" (what I call traffic enforcement cameras due to my time spent in Germany, where "Blitz" == Flash) on the intersections in SLC. I think I only went through one -- one that is on the cross part of a T intersection (3 way intersection). One that I could swear is on-demand only anyway but my son claims it is not. I almost went through another actual 4-way intersection and had to really pay attention. That one was at an intersection that was between two other intersections with working lights. Most of the non-functional lights were in the same are but a few scattered ones were the ones that almost got me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back