Running Bear's September 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the grade % on that? It's too early for maths in my part of my brain.

If my maths are correct, it looks like the grade is about 30 ft, or about 360 inches. With an 8 1/2 inch rise it is 8.5 / 360 = 0.0236111 or a 2.3% grade. (Ballpark)
If grades are a worry it could easily be done with a 5" rise, keeping the grade to less than 1 1/2% and still have enough room to squeak an autorack through .

My BIG question is what the minimum radius is. I like this plan as my space is 13.5 x17 and with minor modifications would fit, but I would like a minimum of 30 inch radius, prefer 36. Well Jerry, what was it??

If my maths are correct, it looks like the grade is about 30 ft, or about 360 inches. With an 8 1/2 inch rise it is 8.5 / 360 = 0.0236111 or a 2.3% grade. (Ballpark)
If grades are a worry it could easily be done with a 5" rise, keeping the grade to less than 1 1/2% and still have enough room to squeak an autorack through .

My BIG question is what the minimum radius is. I like this plan as my space is 13.5 x17 and with minor modifications would fit, but I would like a minimum of 30 inch radius, prefer 36. Well Jerry, what was it??
Pushers solve that problem. 😊

Hi, everyone. - It took me a couple of days to catch up on everyone's posts; reading a bit off and on. Wonderful photos have been posted I'm seeing granaries and boxcars, beautiful layouts and silos. I haven't had much to say, and didn't have any of my own photos to share that were on subject, so I went to work over the last days instead of coming in for a coffee. Preoccupied with building fences and moving sheds, with some paint being applied here and there, just to break it up.

Since it was a day off, I decided to walk outside of town to the large CN staging area. My intensions were to capture photos of rail cars, and lots of them. As it was, I took 198 photos during the walk. Box cars, open hoppers, and tank cars were all there in abundance. Also, there was a trackmobile and a CN contractors mobile transloader to photograph.

If I have time, I will share some of the photos with you over the coming days. It will actually take a bit to sort 198 photos out, but, here is a start. This is the mobile transloader on a trailer. I believe a model might be an interesting addition to the layout:
Transloader1_09-07-2020.jpg

Transloader2_09-07-2020.jpg

There is also some fairly decent artwork in that yard. I believe the wall of a prison cell would make a better palate, though:
BoxcarArt_09-07-2020.jpg

Anyway, I'll try to share more photos over the coming days. Still have 50' of fence to build and one more 8x10 shed to move, though. So, we'll see what happens.

Have a good one, everybody.

Good evening SHop Dwellers! 66*F and dark at my place. Survived the Win10 update, all my 'critical' apps still appear to be functional.

Thanks for all the "likes" and supportive comments on my modified GP40 - Chad, Jerome, Chet, Willie, Tom, Jerry, Guy, Sherrell, Lee, Joe, and Curt. (Sorry if I missed anyone.) Karl, this is the model I will need you to reprogram with your LokProgrammer to make it sound like a [turbo-equipped] GP40. It was originally a GP38-3 when I first received it.

Sherrell - Glad you'll be getting some temperature relief soon...

Today wound up not being quite so "restful" for me. I did spend some time applying Pan Pastel weathering to the geep this morning. Then I decided I should probably mow my lawn while the weather is decent and the grass hasn't had a chance to grow obscenely long like it was when I did it last Thursday. When I was done with that, I had to go over to my daughter's house to run on her treadmill - this is an activity I've just recently re-started after an 18-month hiatus. Got a rude awakening when I stepped on the scale and discovered I've gotten 15lbs heavier - weighing almost what I did 5 years ago before I started the treadmill regimen! :oops: Oh well, I always feel much better once I've actually done it.

Back to work for me tomorrow, so gotta get ready for bed now. G'nite...

MRL's Belgrade had a visit from a rare sight. It's only GP40 #500 and only loco in that number series (if it ever is a series, but at least there's room for 99 more) It came from RIMX 3025 via WC 3025, CMNW 3025, UP 690, WP 3543. Was in poor condition, rebuilt and rust repaired, the whole front pilot was replaced. From what I read it's usual stamping ground is Missoula yard. Also read that it hasn't been overly popular with crews but has the best A/C of the switchers

Arriving in the rain at the head of it's train, with hoppers for Belgrade and passing SD45's 355 & 346
1599539395757.png

GP35 405 making up the power duo
1599539628422.png

Pulling of the main into iBasics Co yard
1599539842362.png

And rolling towards the loading area past their Trackmobile
1599539976596.png

And filling up. I haven't yet found out what it is they store here, but it seems to be an often visited facility.
1599540272029.png

A couple of comments from crews
Trevor Hawkins Its a nice puller and has the best AC unit out of the 3 we've got in Missoula (127 has a meh one and 401 doesn't even have one). Its mainly down to being the best puller.

Tony Ey I’m glad the 500 was running good! She’s been acting up! It’s actually the first one I Hostled!

As usual, photo credits to The Montana Rail Link Railfan Society Face Book Page.

Greetings all. 68° and major chance of thunder-boomers today in the NE section of Indiana.

FLO: nope, no cinnamon rolls today. Mel has to work for a change. Coffee and a plate of bacon.

Question for the brain trust (insert brainy joke here):

I've begun 3-d mockups (it's the way my brain works... CAD programs just don't help until I see the models).
  • N Scale
  • Freelanced based on Great Northern in the Cascades to Seattle

This layout is intended for Railfanning and modeling. I want a long looped mainline I can just run a train on. But, some stub end switching tracks for small-town industry just to keep it interesting.

Note: there is room for a large yard expansion to the left of the layout, over my desk. Maybe someday.

Please take a look at this image: (feedback appreciated - see below)

i-K3hLgSK-L.jpg

I'm fussing with what would be the prototype's mainline through Stevens pass in the Cascades (Great Northern). The (not in frame) wing to the right needs to have limited grades due to getting past the breaker box in back-right corner. My plan is to make that the Seattle end, with dock facilities and some operation.

The curve to front-left is a 13" radius with 3% grade. I've got room to move it farther toward the end of the left wing. This is set as the bare minimum rendering to give me an idea of what I might get away with. In reality, I see it coming another 6 inches out, and jumping the curve radius to at least 15"

1. In N scale, using F units, how much of a struggle is a 3% grade for continuous operation? Is 8-10 cars doable for continuous running?
  2. My second question: Between the two "mountain" areas (back-left Corner and center peninsula), I'm debating on trestle bridge(s) and or a tunnel (a la Cascade tunnel). My thought is tunnel in the back left corner. Bridges in the eye-candy center peninsula. Best way to access the tunnel seems to be opening up the back corner of the layout for a duck-under and reach up. Any better ideas?
  3. Other thoughts? Constructive criticism welcome.

Good morning. It's 59 and mostly clear.
My wife asked if we could go for a ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway yesterday. We traveled from the point nearest our house to Roanoke, and returned via the normal highways. It took about three hours to go the 83 miles, including having to leave the Parkway on account of damage from recent storms near Roanoke. It was a very pleasant drive, with lots of beautiful scenery. Since I was driving, and the truck is not very forgiving of wandering attention, I didn't take any photos.

Good morning...welcome to Tuesday. Today's caution? Be careful what you wish for. I had mentioned to Chet about sending some of what he had going on weather wise down my way. Well, it showed up last night! Woke me up, a howling wind out of the Northeast that left tree debris all over the place. No moisture, clear skies, 61 degrees. The strange thing about this, the area were I live, we NEVER get winds from that direction! Thanks Chet!

Terry...thanks for showing the link to Cambria. My next guess was going to be England somewhere. I've got a couple of rail pieces from Moss Bay England (Central Pacific) and Blaenavon Wales (McCloud River RR), like I need something else to collect! 🤪

Karl...on this plan the min. radius is 24" up to a max. radius of 32.5"

The last several days have been very smoky (except last night 😉), here's a pic I took a couple of days ago. This was about an hour or so after sun rise, through a dirty windshield, no, I was not driving.......o_O
IMG_20200825_064736184_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Every body be safe out there....

Last edited:
Good Morning gang!
Been at work over an hour already, and I'm ready to go home. Too damn early for me!

Jerry, thanks for the info!

Ken, anytime you want to program it, let me know! That old Atlas Gp40 frame I showed you has the correct fuel tank on it now. Next paint and transfer of all the parts from the running chassis to the donor frame.

Troy. Looks good so far, I'd recommend getting a backdrop in there before you get too far along with the mountains.

Back to the salt mines,,,,L8ter!

Morning all,

Happy Tuesday (Gonna be a Monday due to the Holiday).

Currently 72* and mostly cloudy in Doo-Dah, with a chance of rain through the week (As much as 2-2.5 inches by Friday). Afternoon temps falling to 60* by 4:00p as a cold front is coming through. Possibility of SNOW in western Kansas tonight, as much as an 1" possible. any measurable in Goodland with be the earliest on record. I look forward to the cooler weather as it was way too hot (upper 90's) with feels like over 105 all 3 weekend days.

While I didn't get any railroading done over the 3 days, I did get a bunch of 1/4 round cut for the daughter's house. We only remodeled it when they moved in 10 years ago, but now she's repainting some rooms and wanted a little more formal look added to the rooms that didn't have any. In fairness there were some gaps between the floor and flooring. At least all I had to do was cut it. She said to cut carefully as she only had 2 feet over what she measured. I had 2 19" pieces left, so she found a place in another room that those could be used....with the small cutoffs for 45* angles, I returned to her 5" of scraps.....

I also decided to smoke some turkey breast halves we had in the freezer. I told the wife when I went grocery shopping I'd look for something additional to smoke as I do have a rather large electric smoker. After looking through the grocery ad, I didn't see anything , but at the store found whole packer brisket for $1.99 per pound......$0.65 per pound cheaper than cheap hamburger. Somehow I missed that in the ad. So I had a brisket as well to the smoker. One of these days I'm going to have the darn thing full when I smoke. The downside to electric smokers is that unlike a wood or pellet smoker, you don't get the smoke ring in the meat. It has the appearance of an oven baked product, but the flavor is all there. Between the now 3 meals of turkey (2 frozen for later) and 5 meals meals of brisket (4 frozen for later) I'm good for a while. I keep forgetting how much of a pain the unit is too clean up afterwards.

I'll play catch up on this later as it being a "Monday", people are starting to need stuff and I;m always the first person in.

Good Morning Ya'll!
68 and dark .. supposed to reach 94 later.
there was so much smoke in the air that the sun was just barely visible. We must be getting the smoke from a couple fires 60 plus miles North.

A couple quick comments ... RAY - like the MRL photos and the eagle was wonderful - a beautiful birdand the slow motion was worth the price of admission.

GUY - love the pic - Are they loading, or unloading with the machine which is a great modeling project?

An after the crappy weathered long weekend good morning to all! As I step in through the door, it's only 42F and I'm not sure you'll recognize me wearing the hoodie. I've not been stepping in here a whole lot, lately.

Funny, the way horizontal corrugated metal often looks like it's emitting ray's when presented on a photo. I suppose I should wear my tinfoil helmet before I look at them. Very nice photos, Toot.

Troy - Beautiful benchwork. I enjoy watching a persons efforts in making the inclines, so that I might apply the techniques to my own efforts. I was already running the train in my brain looking at your photo.
Terry - I think there is a Blue Ridge something or other in every province and state. We have the village of Blue Ridge on the Athabasca River bank, just a few miles from where I sit. Glad you had a nice drive.
Jerry - A very nice sunrise photo. It has that subdued, painting effect. Well done.
Patrick - I traded my old homemade fridge smoker in for a frying pan a long time ago. Nothing but a real pain in the butt; cleaning and collecting apple tree branches. - I'm an eat and run kind of person who can chow down anything, anyway.
GUY - love the pic - Are they loading, or unloading with the machine which is a great modeling project?
Sherrel - I don't know the answer, yet. I've not seen them in action, and yesterday was a holiday for them. - I believe they unload the tank cars onto tanker trucks so the hydrochloric acid product can be transported into the remote locations of the petro-chemical industry. Just a guess, though. - All those tank cars have the DOT 1789 number of hydrochloric acid; I looked it up.

Anyway, I'm soon going to work again for the remaining week, even though I'm retired. I keep taking the calls from old clients.
Today, I'm moving a shed from a difficult spot without any equipment other than my pick-up. Plan is to jack it up, put 4x4's under it, and then pull it 40' without damaging the vinyl siding. It has to be turned around as well. And there are 3 really annoying apple trees in the way. Here is a test of my old contracting skills, and my patience.

I promised you another photo taken during my long walk yesterday. How about a couple of SD40's at work bringing in hoppers partly filled with gravel from the Standard General, Windfall quarry, which is along side the Athabasca River to the west:
CN 5343_SD40-2W_09-07-2020.jpg

SD40'sWorking_09-07-2020.jpg

Thanks for the likes on my last post.
Have a great day ,everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back