Running Bear's September 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning all. A comfortable 72 degrees in the Ozark Foothills. Flo. Cheese Omelet and Raisin Toast

Chet. Thanks for the complement. Nice pics and can you send some cold air south.

Curt. Thanks for the complement

Troy. Looking like some progress there.

Guy. Nice pics and interesting

Well I didn’t do much yesterday kinda got rested up for today. I was able to work on this Corgi Diamond T 622. I always thought frame was goofy and killed the looks of the truck. So I married up a old Revell White 3000 frame to it. This is what I have so far. Enjoy your day and I’ll check in later.

027DEA4D-0B6D-44B2-812E-A6DC480058DC.jpeg
6F2879AA-6FE3-44DB-BDCE-199C0230368C.jpeg
2FE0D763-8338-4F95-8457-F4CDD9E4FA0E.jpeg
7367C6A2-13D7-4CEA-A964-BB5AE0CCAC57.jpeg

Good Morning All. Mostly clear and 75° this fine morning. Cool front coming tomorrow with a high of only 78° in the forecast.
Running a bit behind today, wife wanted breakfast a lot earlier than normal.
Prepared a brisket yesterday, after spare ribs Sunday, and they were both delicious. Tonight is leftover homemade Salmon patties with my extra special homemade tartar sauce. It's really too bad that my wife doesn't like me using the Salmon skin in the patties, it can be a bitch to remove it.

Loads of bacon this morning Flo, and a couple of sunny side up eggs with whole wheat toast for me.

Thanks for all of the reactions and comments yesterday regarding the last of the grain elevators; Garry, Sherrel, Guy, Lee, Jerome, Hughie, Rick, Jerry, Karl, Chet, Phil, Curt, Tom, James.

While I made a bit more progress out in the train shed yesterday, I mainly ran trains while waiting for glue and paint to dry. That led to just running trains! ;) Nearly done with the current project with the piggyback ramps and the two industries to the south. The tenements on the other side of the track are on hold until I can sort through figures, vehicles, and detail parts like trash cans and dumpsters. I also am just not presently in the mood for adding interiors to the large white apartment building in the scene just yet. I need a rainy day to search some out on the Internet that I can print.
I am still mulling over what to do with the large blank area on the north side of the piggyback yard, there's about two square feet between it and the existing brewery. I'd like to put another rail-served industry there, switch is in place but not fastened down yet, but I don't have an appropriate one to use. I have boxes full of DPM and Pikestuff modular walls, but my imagination is stalled right now.
So how about a couple more residential pictures. First is a Walther's kit that I think is called Our House.
09-03-20 007.001.JPG

That's me in the rocker, my wife complaining about something, and my granddaughter and her dog. Eventually this will be part of a beach scene, (my wife loves the beach), in a remote but highly visible part of the layout. Unfortunately that section is most likely going to be the last section developed. I already have a bag full of Gulf Shores sand to use with it. But right now, there's no wall behind it, just insulation and electrical wiring until I eventually add an outside outlet before covering it up.
Here is a cardstock farmhouse. Note the drive in theater to the right across the tracks. Still need to paint the backdrop here.
09-03-20 006.JPG

Garry - I love your country park scene. While I have seen parts of it before, I don't believe I saw the entire scene until yesterday. Do you remember where the green picnic tables and the stone grills came from?
Jerome - Welcome back.
Hughie - The cold front is a little unusual this time around. It will begin with winds and thunderstorms out of the east before dawn tomorrow, then the wind will shift from the north just after sunset. Our low is still going to be in the mid-60's, but by Friday our highs are only going to be in the 80's for the foreseeable future.
Joe - I am confused by governors who allow political demonstrations to allow freedom of speech, but do not allow church services which are also freedom of speech; albeit less violent.
You build your layout like I do. While I had a rough drawing of the benchwork, most of the trackplan was in my mind and was worked out on the benchwork as I went along.
Guy - Wow! 198 photos to fill your reference library. Knowing you, you probably got a lot of very interesting stuff.
Troy - OK, I model in HO and don't know enough about the physics involved with N scale so I can't advise you too much. However I shudder whenever I see or hear of any layout using 3% grade. I know that it can be done, easily if you have the right situation; but throwing curves into the mix can make it tricky. If it was me, I might lower the overall height to reduce the grade and see if I could fit in 15" curves instead of the 13". Other N scalers might know more than I.
Sherrel - I was wondering how close that party fire was to you. I had read that it was a gender reveal party, not a transgender party. Gender reveal parties are where a pregnant mother reveals the gender of the fetus.

Today is National Ampersand Day, or CAP-7 on your keyboard. There is a commemorative day for just about anything these days.
Everybody have a great day.

Anyone care to explain to me what-the-hell a transgender party is?
Understand that one of the fires started at a party those people were having?

ABC news called it a gender REVEAL party. Someone is pregnant and they have a party to let the world know what sex the baby will be. In this case the BLUE fireworks set everything on fire. The news also said the couple is cooperating!! the authorities, that’s nice. I hope they have millions to payout for the fire fighting efforts. Fireworks in a dry tinder zone, don’t people have common sense?

TomO

edit: I see Willie beat me by a minute!

Good morning from a chilled So. Central Wisconsin where we are at the predicted high of 55f degrees. This weather will be around a couple more days then we get more seasonable at low 70’s.

I took a couple days away from posting online or even reading much online. I survived. I think the meds for my Lymes diasese are actually working. I am not as exhausted, My 2 mile daily walks are at least up to 1 mile now. Another Lab at noon today. But most importantly, I feel better. I have to go back and read what I missed looks like about 4 pages worth.

2 baseball greats passed as noted here previously. While the Cubs traded Lou Brock for the pitcher Ernie B.somebody! and the Mets let Tom Seaver go is beyond me. However, even if Lou had remained a Cub, they wouldn’t have won a WS any sooner. The Seaver move might have been when I realized it was a business and the players need to get as much as they can.

Working back in the trainroom and while watching the NHL playoff is wire armatures tree making time. My version of Rib Mountainin Central Wisconsin will need about 100 hardwoods and 200+ pine trees. I have started on the hardwoods, heights should be about 25-60’ after plantings. Enjoy your day. TomO

D337AE14-D330-4464-8B38-AF85C825634B.jpeg

2B078922-E82B-4634-91F2-0219C27EC4D1.jpeg

91F494E2-85DB-4BAF-B34D-A8434A485E8D.jpeg

Good morning, everybody ....

I'll have coffee and a pecan roll, please.

Chet, Curt, Sherrel, Willie, and anybody I missed....... Thanks for commenting on my County Park photos. .... Also, thanks to each of you who "liked" the pictures.

Chet ..... Your photos of the club layout are great. So are the historic pictures.

Lee ... The boxcars, trailer, and tractor look good.

Guy .... I like the CN pictures.

Toot ...... I like the MRL pictures, too.

Willie .... Your houses look great. It has been several years since I put together my county park scene. If I recall correctly, the picnic tables and stone grills were from a Woodland Scenics kit.

Troy ..... Like WIllie, I would be concerned about 3% grades.

Terry .... Your scenic drive on Blue Ridge Parkway sounds like it was enjoyable.

Question for anybody ......... Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways ?????

Tom O .... Your trees look great.

Everybody .... have a nice day.

...TROY - What caused the pileup of boxcars there in the center?
Why are you not using that area in the left front?
Where's the doughnuts this morning?
So many questions!

Boxcars are "bricks of foam" I cut to simulate a 2" elevation. Like I said above, I need a visual. So, in this case I used them to demark where the "mountainous" region might be. I want to run a mainline along a river in front of that area. Visual clues. ;)

Area in front left, and a large section of off-camera right section is without foam. I ran out. Those sections will be used.

As for donut, got one of the amish ones on the way to get more green foam at Lowes this morning.

Well, after about 6 years of family, health, and water leaks in the basement I'm back on "track" to get my layout running. We just got the basement fixed so I can start cleaning up the piles of trash and find my old layout. I'll post as soon as I get back to the bench level of the layout.
For now it's nice to see some old names on the forum as it's been a long time.
Hope all are well.
Dave

I don't know why that tidbit of info was put in the story, all it had to be was "started by a party".
As for transgender, think "transvestite".

One of the fires was started due to fireworks at a "gender reveal" party. "Gender Reveal" is what millennials do when they are having a baby and want to announce what sex the doctors/ultrasound technicians think the baby is or will be. My niece and her husband shot at tannerite with appropriate smoke color or something like that when they went through this "ritual."

One of the fires was started due to fireworks at a "gender reveal" party. "Gender Reveal" is what millennials do when they are having a baby and want to announce what sex the doctors/ultrasound technicians think the baby is or will be. My niece and her husband shot at tannerite with appropriate smoke color or something like that when they went through this "ritual."

Our cabin is in the woods of mostly 70 to 80 foot pine trees and several summers ago during the July 4th Holiday our neighbor, a single guy who likes to party was setting off large fireworks along the road between the pine woods on either sides of the road. The DNR fire warning was in the extreme warning stage and in fact no outdoor grills could be used or smoking in any outdoor area.

We confronted him and his friend and the friend's girl about the danger of setting off the fireworks. They didn't stop and we went back and I told him if I were heard a firecracker or other fireworks in the next ten years, I'll call the DNR. His friend said he was a fire fighter and had a small 2 pound extinguisher. I told him of all people he should know what he was doing was an extreme danger. I then asked him what department he worked for......which was met by a deluge of profanity.

They stopped, but a crown fire work be almost impossible to extinguish. Some people just don't think.

This guy rarely visits his cabin since the encounter and I don't feel bad at all.

Greg

PS: It's funny that in Wisconsin there are hundreds of roadside fireworks stands, but its illegal to use the fireworks in Wisconsin.

Joe - I am confused by governors who allow political demonstrations to allow freedom of speech, but do not allow church services which are also freedom of speech; albeit less violent.

Willie: I suppose the rationalization is one (Church service) is an indoor event, while the protest is an outdoor event. Since I don't buy into that logic, I guess I'm a "Knucklehead". My real issue with our governor is the name calling. I thought we were past that type of mentality.

ou build your layout like I do. While I had a rough drawing of the benchwork, most of the trackplan was in my mind and was worked out on the benchwork as I went along.

Willie: I look at a lot of published track plans, I tried following one of Linn Wescott's planbook plans for a 5'x10' layout and found out in cannot be done in less than 6' x 14', so I quit following plans. I had something in mind, and started to place tracks in place to see how it would work, then I connected everything and discovered it did work. Then I moved to the next group of modules. Right now, I'm hung up on two modules that will contain an elevated passenger terminal, as well as an industrial spur that drops 2'75" to street level, (not quite 3%), to serve a power plant, and a lumber yard, and perhaps another business. I'm having a great deal of trouble fitting this together, and may have to revise my idea. Right now, I'm revising / expanding the staging yard to give me a couple more car lengths, and an additional track or two. It's an easier fix...

PS: It's funny that in Wisconsin there are hundreds of roadside fireworks stands, but its illegal to use the fireworks in Wisconsin.

Same in Pennsylvania...meanwhile in Jersey, they are only supposed to sell sparklers, yet Walmart and Supermarkets sell all sorts of fireworks beyond the scope of law. In NYC, they were rounding up "illegal" fireworks dealers and confiscating their wares.

Good morning. It's 59 and mostly clear.
My wife asked if we could go for a ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway yesterday. We traveled from the point nearest our house to Roanoke, and returned via the normal highways. It took about three hours to go the 83 miles, including having to leave the Parkway on account of damage from recent storms near Roanoke. It was a very pleasant drive, with lots of beautiful scenery. Since I was driving, and the truck is not very forgiving of wandering attention, I didn't take any photos.
1967, taking my Texas bride to New York where I grew up. On the return trip to TX I looked at the map and saw Blue Ridge Parkway. I found out that Parkway in VA is a lot different than Parkway in NY. (Grand Central Pkwy, Taconic Pkwy.) I was expecting a highway with 50/60 mph likeparkways in NY. Instead we got a beautiful scenic drive through the Blue Ridge Mts. 30 mph at best. So many overlooks to just soak in the scenery. I would love to do it again, only this time knowing it's not a NY parkway.

We did the Blue Ridge on our Gold Wing motorcycle and loved the ride and scenery. The reduced speed limits are a plus. We traveled all over the Parkway and in Georgia, Virginia and Tennessee. Every summer my wife would plan a week's long or longer trip with guys from high school and their wives.

Greg

Finally had time to catch up. Email went down again, but I was able to keep it running and think I finally have it figured out. There was an update to the antivirus software that doesn't like being run on an email server. Too much email to scan before needing the next 1/2 hour update, which pauses email coming in for the update (even if there isn't any update) and then start processing the backlog, only to repeat the process. Once I shut down the antivirus, the server popped back up and is running normally. The stupid software been running on this machine for 4 years. The spam filter scrubs it all before the server gets it, so it is just redundant software.

I hates Mondays (And Monday substitutes).

On the smoking side, I will say the rolling papers to roll a turkey and brisket in are enormously expensive......

Its been 10 years since I've been over the Taconic and even longer for the Blue Ridge. The last time I went over the Talimena you couldn't see 3 feet because of fog. On the weekend I used to go out to Vanderpool - Leakey - Campwood on TX RR337 or if I was ambitious Junction and then down RR335, You just have to make sure the Guadalupe and Nueces aren't in flood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back