Running Bear's June 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_20190316_174733.jpg

Good morning. It's mostly clear and 64.
I'm off to the first train show in our area since January, and the first one I can remember attending in at least a couple of years. Masks are required. I have an old Lone Ranger mask I think I'll wear...

Good Morning All. Mostly clear and 67° to start our day here. Weather forecast (easy for the weather geeks) for the next ten days is sunny, hot and dry; some minor wind each afternoon, but not over 10 mph. Temperature range between 68° and 95° every day. Pool still staying at around 85° which is the most optimal for us.
I managed to get through the weekly grocery/beer trek yesterday without any issues. Face mask compliance seemed to be up from previous weeks among customers. Social distancing is not normally a problem at the time of day that I go. Besides our usual stops at Kroger and Dollar General, we stopped at an Aldi store, the first time for me. I was not impressed at all. Sure there was a handful of items a bit cheaper than Kroger, but not enough to make it worth an additional stop on the trek. Very limited selection of the items that they did have as well. Exiting the parking lot was not easy due to traffic on the street that they are on.

Morning there Flo. What's the Saturday Special today? Ham, grits, eggs and toast. OK, I'll take that today. Large OJ to wash it down with.

Thanks for the likes (reactions) and comments regarding yesterday's posting; Sherrel, Chad, Garry, Guy, Patrick, Jerome, Louis, Curt, Joe, Phil, Tom, Ken, Rick, Karl, David.

I had a heavy work day in the train shed yesterday. Started on part of the road that will run parallel to the tracks through Charlottesville.
06-13-20 006.JPG

I also had to do some "deconstructing". I already knew that the base for the Heljan structures was a bit too big for the space and I would have to trim it.
06-13-20 001.JPG

06-13-20 002.JPG

That took care of the issue.
Meanwhile across the tracks, I started on the plaza that is going to be between the two restaurants shown yesterday.
06-13-20 008.JPG

The back story is that the original owner of both restaurants filed a quitclaim on the road right of way to build this plaza; since the RR wouldn't let the city add another grade crossing. More to come.
Here's an overall shot of the area as it now looks, taken from across the room.
06-13-20 009.JPG

I am running out of structures that fit!:( Too much real estate here.

Curt -
Did you use concrete color on that?
I used Model Master Concrete color on that sidewalk.
Mikey - OK, here I am on the layout.
06-13-20 003.JPG

From L-R, my wife's brother, me and my wife. I had that blue '61 VW from 1972 until 1978. My 75 year old BIL still wears an "Elvis pompadour" and leather jackets to this day.
Joe - I also have a Sherrel figure on the layout.
06-13-20 004.JPG

David - Really great to see you posting again.

I hope that everyone has a great day and a wonderful weekend.

Willie: Gotta love it! 🤣🤣🤣
The two restaurants fit in nicely.

David: Good to see ya!

From L-R, my wife's brother, me and my wife. I had that blue '61 VW from 1972 until 1978.

Willie: for some reason, that's pretty much what I expected. great touch!

Going to be a nice, dry and cooler type day, with lots of sunshine. My New recliner arrived yesterday, so I'm going to assemble it first, then we will do some gardening. Maybe some layout time later on.

Good morning .....

Many thanks to all who commenting and liked my photo with the bridge on my layout.

David (CA) ...... Great to see you again. I like the hobos and the old boxcar. Hopefully, you can visit more often.

Willie ....... Apparently, everything is all figured out (so to speak) on your very nice layout. :) .... Your "CUP" is looking good.

Joe .... I like the Amtrak photo.

EYE CANDY there, Willie! ... You sure have some nicely portioned ladies all over! If that lady in the green dress doesn't turn your head - then your fire's gone out!

JOE - Really great photos you have been posting! All of them!

Garry .. Your bridge scene is great. That plate girder bridge is a masterpiece.

Back from the train show. We were required to have masks, but they forgot to require we actually, you know, WEAR them. I carried mine in a bag with a couple of micro trains cars I purchased.
I did pick up some micro trains cars for a pretty reasonable price, as well as a micro trains switch engine. I guess they were released after I left N scale. This one has a decoder, and runs very well, though the horn and bell were missing from the kit. I'll send an email and see if those parts are still available. The other purchase was an Athearn Clinchfield Challenger with factory (MRC) sound, and a Tsunami decoder to put in it when the OEM one blows up.

Afternoon All,

Did a few outside chores then painted 12- 8' brace boards. By that time I had sweat running off me and was beat from the humidity. It's getting dark now so the rain is on the way. I should be starting back on building modules tomorrow again.

Terry- Sounds like fun. I haven't been to one in years.

Joe- Great picture of the Rockville bridge.

James- Have fun fishing.

Mikey- The pulpwood car is looking good.

CA Dave- Great to see you posting. Excellent photo.

Willie- Great details. Love the family scene. For some reason I thought Sherrel was taller?:p

I hope everyone has a good night.

Y'got'ta love someone that comes onto a FB page with a new NCE PowerCab and asks instructions about wiring it to his layout, then later comes back again after deleting that thread and shows a video of the cab waving around with wires dangling about in the background and telling him he's got a short circuit. I made an answer on the first enquiry, asked him on the second to make a vid of how he connected it up. I'll give him that much chance.

Good Morning All. Mostly clear and 67° to start our day here. Weather forecast (easy for the weather geeks) for the next ten days is sunny, hot and dry; some minor wind each afternoon, but not over 10 mph. Temperature range between 68° and 95° every day. Pool still staying at around 85° which is the most optimal for us.
I managed to get through the weekly grocery/beer trek yesterday without any issues. Face mask compliance seemed to be up from previous weeks among customers. Social distancing is not normally a problem at the time of day that I go. Besides our usual stops at Kroger and Dollar General, we stopped at an Aldi store, the first time for me. I was not impressed at all. Sure there was a handful of items a bit cheaper than Kroger, but not enough to make it worth an additional stop on the trek. Very limited selection of the items that they did have as well. Exiting the parking lot was not easy due to traffic on the street that they are on.

Morning there Flo. What's the Saturday Special today? Ham, grits, eggs and toast. OK, I'll take that today. Large OJ to wash it down with.

Thanks for the likes (reactions) and comments regarding yesterday's posting; Sherrel, Chad, Garry, Guy, Patrick, Jerome, Louis, Curt, Joe, Phil, Tom, Ken, Rick, Karl, David.

I had a heavy work day in the train shed yesterday. Started on part of the road that will run parallel to the tracks through Charlottesville.
View attachment 114319
I also had to do some "deconstructing". I already knew that the base for the Heljan structures was a bit too big for the space and I would have to trim it.
View attachment 114320
View attachment 114321
That took care of the issue.
Meanwhile across the tracks, I started on the plaza that is going to be between the two restaurants shown yesterday.
View attachment 114322
The back story is that the original owner of both restaurants filed a quitclaim on the road right of way to build this plaza; since the RR wouldn't let the city add another grade crossing. More to come.
Here's an overall shot of the area as it now looks, taken from across the room.
View attachment 114323
I am running out of structures that fit!:( Too much real estate here.

Curt -

I used Model Master Concrete color on that sidewalk.
Mikey - OK, here I am on the layout.
View attachment 114317
From L-R, my wife's brother, me and my wife. I had that blue '61 VW from 1972 until 1978. My 75 year old BIL still wears an "Elvis pompadour" and leather jackets to this day.
View attachment 114318

David - Really great to see you posting again.

I hope that everyone has a great day and a wonderful weekend.

Thanks for noticing Willie, I've missed the group.

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Did a few outside chores then painted 12- 8' brace boards. By that time I had sweat running off me and was beat from the humidity. It's getting dark now so the rain is on the way. I should be starting back on building modules tomorrow again.

Terry- Sounds like fun. I haven't been to one in years.

Joe- Great picture of the Rockville bridge.

James- Have fun fishing.

Mikey- The pulpwood car is looking good.

CA Dave- Great to see you posting. Excellent photo.

Willie- Great details. Love the family scene. For some reason I thought Sherrel was taller?:p

I hope everyone has a good night.

Thanks again Curt, Actually the image is lacking the clarity I like but it was all I had
readily available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back