Running Bear's May 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo! Good morning. Another partially sunny, breezy, chilly morning in Paradise.

Beady: Hope you can deal with these issues...from personal experience, it isn't easy.

Karl: Changing your Avatar again? Great photo of the doubleheader articulated on the coal train.

but this is crazy.....

James: Yes very crazy! But someone will pay the price...and regret it later

B. Bob: Nice photos. The warnings remind me of the Susquehanna, upstream of the Safe Harbor and Conowingo Dams where the docile river turns ugly when the gates of the dam open.

Willie: Too bad about the crown. At least you can get to the dentist. Local practitioners have been closed to all, but selected emergency visits since the plague began. They are now talking re-opening on the 26th of the month. I still have issues I'm waiting to get fixed. The Oil terminal looks challenging.

Good Morning -- 47 degrees this morning (that is almost winter temps out here) and the guessers say that a 76 high will transpire later today? 69 was the high yesterday.
I got zero accomplished yesterday! After I had taken my meds yesterday morning, I just could not get going on anything. The Spousal Unit even mentioned that I did not look like I felt well? Feel pretty good this morning - will see how the day progresses.

Patrick - Great comment from the G-kid. Prayers for your daughter!

Willie - Sorry about the tooth. Certainly glad that there is no pain - take it a little more easy on those T-bone's?
I did not comment yesterday, but I like the looks of Earl's Oil.

KARL- Like the steamer photo ....!

JAMES - That is INSANE!

1589982770803.png

Alan ... I'm enjoying your series of posts about the COSF. Regarding interiors, sometimes I run passenger cars without interiors. I place black construction paper inside so the cars don't appear empty.

I use that technique with structures, but I have a bunch of window treatment details for this one. I think that will look better. I have several photos showing venetian blinds. We'll see how that works!

Good Morning Everybody. Mostly cloudy and 67°. One more day of great weather, just not as warm, then the weather guessers are predicting seven rainy days out of the next ten. We'll see, they have been wrong quite a bit lately, both ways.
The pool was almost perfect yesterday, it warmed up to 79° and after a mowing session was quite refreshing. I believe that this is the earliest date that I have used it since we got it 25 years ago. I normally don't even start to get it ready until the 20th or so, and then it takes another week to warm up. Grass/weeds have been going crazy with the 3.5" of rain last weekend. I won't be mowing this morning as I have an emergency dental visit at 10:15. Yesterday afternoon, a crown just broke suddenly and it needs to be replaced. Sadly this is the third one that has broken and the dentist has assured me that he has quit using the lab that supplied them. He has been replacing them at no cost, but it still means a 90 minute trip/visit today for a temporary and another one in about three weeks for the permanent one. At least there is no pain.
Also spent about 30 minutes on the phone with the county tax assessor yesterday. My property valuation went up 28% and my land valuation (which includes the train shed) went up 12%. Not happy about this. It's actually only making my taxes go up about 6% because of my homestead exemption, agriculture exemption and my over 65 tax freeze (which only applies to the home), but I am still not happy. Several overpriced brick/stone homes about 1.5 miles away changed hands in the last two years and raised the valuations for the whole area. Wondering whether the time/effort to protest is worth the extra $90/year that I will have to pay. I most likely won't prevail anyway. They haven't actually raised my valuation in seven years.

Well the missing tooth hasn't affected my eating, so I'll take a couple of eggs over easy and a handful of bacon this morning Flo.

Thanks for all of the comments and likes (reactions), and suggestions regarding yesterday's post; Bob, Guy, Jerome, Karl, Gary, Sherrel, Phil, Louis, Patrick, Joe, Curt, Tom. Earl's Oil Co. was the runaway favorite regarding that area. I'll need to have my 1:87 Terry to move all of those travel trailers now.

I didn't spend a lot of time in the train shed yesterday, but I did open up the Earl's Oil Company kit.
View attachment 113505
I was able to prime several of the parts and read the instructions, but that's about all. This kit is not nearly as complex as many others that I have built, but still looks like a fun project. Stay tuned.

Louis - Congratulations on getting the spreadsheet caught up. Now comes the hard part of reconciling it.
Terry - Saw your warning flag. Did you survive the storms?
Garry - I acquired all of those travel trailers and a few others from former forum participant Larry (the long-winded old fart) when he sold all of his model railroading stuff. I may still have room at the left after putting Earl's in to make a sales lot for them.

Gotta go now. Need to get ready for the dentist. I have already been told that the waiting room is closed, so I have to call when I get into the parking lot and they will come get me when they are ready. I will have to take my mask off after I sit in the chair though!
Everybody have a great day.
There's just something about the sight of a fresh craftsman kit out of the box, laid out and ready to be worked on!

Good morning ....

Willie ... Good luck at the dentist. Thanks for replying to my comment about the travel trailers.

Patrick .... It sounds like your grandson is a very likable kid.

Sherrel .... That speeder is quite something. Would you like to add some explanatory remarks ?

Alan .... I have included window treatments in several passenger cars. I like blinds made my Plano. ... Again, I certainly like the work you are doing with the COSF ! ! !

The photo below includes a diner-parlor car I made. If you look in the windows, you can see both blinds made by Plano and curtains.

img

Louis: The train was mixed hoppers and tanks. I couldn't say for sure what they actually were hauling if anything.

Garry: He is a good kid. Too darn smart for his own good sometimes, but weren't we all. He'll be a 5th grader in the fall and is a straight A student.
I really like the GN FA-1 set leading on the inside track. See Below:

Willie: Sorry to hear about the crown. At least it sounds like the dentist is making good. I usually have to pay to get them replaced....I have a missing molar the dentist is after me to get an implant to replace. It started as tooth with a crown that needed a root canal. The crown split and it was $520 for my part of the new crown or $75 to pull it.....I chose cheap. Now we're looking at $2800 for my portion of the implant and $530 for the new crown to put on it. I can still eat steak! :D

S2-003A.jpg

Sherrel .... That speeder is quite something. Would you like to add some explanatory remarks ?

I should have, GARRY, but I was unsure that this old ASUS would handle the photo - It's so slow!
The MKT speeder is a restoration by a Frisco member who lives down in Texas not too far from Willie!
(not too far in Texas means within a couple of hundred miles, lol)
Jeff and a couple of other guys take these things out on trips when they can find right-o-ways to run on?

1589989331539.png

Good morning ....

Willie ... Good luck at the dentist. Thanks for replying to my comment about the travel trailers.

Patrick .... It sounds like your grandson is a very likable kid.

Alan .... I have included window treatments in several passenger cars. I like blinds made my Plano. ... Again, I certainly like the work you are doing with the COSF ! ! !

The photo below includes a diner-parlor car I made. If you look in the windows, you can see both blinds made by Plano and curtains.

img

Nice! Is the tail light one by Owl Mountain Models?

Howdy

Patrick ... I like photo. My GN FA1’s are 276A and 276B. I have a FB2 -B-unit between them.

Sherrel .. Thanks for replying. Interesting hobby. I bet it is fun.

Alan ... I made the center tail light from material in my scrap box. The marker lights came with a coach made by Rapido. Thanks for asking.

High Line Fire 5-19-2020.jpg

As y'all know, I normally share railroad photos I consider interesting, and on occasion, a military or fire fighting photo. This is a combination of railroad and fire. The fire is on the former PRR / PC High Line (West Philadelphia Elevated), currently owned by CSX (or Conrail Shared assets). The location of the fire is where the Highline crosses over Amtrak's Penn Coach Yard. The Electric traction Department is located in the building behind the Highline. PFD used two ladder pipes from Ladder 9 and another Truck Company to direct water on to the fire. It was quite windy, yesterday, and that facilitated the spread of the fire.

Afternoon All,

Started out painting the spots that I missed yesterday in the kitchen. MOH says it looks really nice so I guess it was a success. I put together the 3 wood add on buildings today. I don't like the fit of the big one so I will either turn it into a stand alone (need to add rear wall) or when it goes on the layout I will need to add trim pieces where it joins the hydrocal walls...don't know yet.

Garry- Nice parlor car and layout shot.

Mikey- Congrats to your grandson.

Moermusic- I'm sorry to hear of the accident with the Snowbirds.

James- That is beyond ridiculous. Interesting loco photo.

Patrick- That is a lot of train for sure. Neat GN photo.

Bob- Interesting park.

Karl- Nice picture.

Willie- It looks like a fun kit. Sorry to hear about your teeth problems.

Sherrel- Neat picture.

The one on the left has the loading dock around it. The middle is the entrance to the office and the big one goes against the left side stone wall.

20200520_143840.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

My son gave me an early birthday present.

My wife told him I was researching opening a web store and he shows up with a Nikon Coolpix B500 camera/video recorder, software, micro SDXC cards, USB sticks a Tripod and other stuff I don't even know what it is.

I told him "you should not be spending money on me" he said "dad, you sacrificed yourself so me and my sisters could have everything, it's the least I can do".

Only my family can leave me speechless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back