Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXII

Now for something completely different.

17203126_419653931714791_4242538410704370677_n.jpg

Had to spend more time in town than I expected today. Besides going to town for our weekly grocery trip, we met our kids in town to help them save some bucks on their cell phone bill. We are with AT&T and they have a new program where after the first two lines, you can add up to 8 lines I believe for $20 per additional phone. My son and Daughter in law are already on our family plan, but my daughter, son in lay and grand daughter were with Verizon. Their bill was in excess of $240 a month, and my grand daughter was at $80. Being that we have DirecTV, we automatically get unlimited data and being an AT&T customer we get $25 off of the DirecTV bill. It was a blistering pain in the a**, but finally after a couple of hours, everything finally got done. The grand daughters I Phone could be transferred to AT&T, but my daughter and son in laws coulodn't, so they each got an I Phone. Buy one, get one free. When all is said and done, even with buying new phones, they'll save around $175 a month.

Curt - Your video was really great. I have really enjoyed all of the photos of your layout, and being able to take a ride around your layout was a real treat. Thanks for posting.

113 - I have see a diesel locomotive pulled through the streets. Milwaukee Road E-9.

[video=youtube;2xScEc7mUZY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xScEc7mUZY[/video]

Later

In other news, FRA has begun another grade crossing safety campaign. They've produced a 30 second ad that will run in larger markets, with the hope people will realize the the Law of Gross Tonnage still applies. Here's a link to the ad, I've put it on our club's Facebook page, and if anyone here has a page it can be linked to, I'm sure they'd appreciate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szaQ3hXvzfw

Took my two grandsons to the Boy Scout Train show today. When I picked them up, their two younger sisters wanted to go too. Yeah, OK, they can go. All of them had a great time at the show, then stopped at Chick-Fil-A for some lunch on the way home. They picked out some train magazines from the free for the taking table.

The dents there will be covered by a stainless steel cover. The cover is $400, replacing that panel is $2000.

Yeah, replacing a panel, especially one like that, would be a big job. Most trailers (Caravan/'Van here) have some protection from stones built in

or something more elaborate like this camper for dirt/off road use

Good evening Rail Workers,
Hi Flo & Francine, How about some hot lemon drink, I've got to stay off coffee, it's been affecting my sleep.

A very comfortable day here at about 55* with some high clouds and slight breeze.

Took my two grandsons to the Boy Scout Train show today. When I picked them up, their two younger sisters wanted to go too. Yeah, OK, they can go. All of them had a great time at the show, then stopped at Chick-Fil-A for some lunch on the way home. They picked out some train magazines from the free for the taking table.

D&J Ken: That was a nice thing you did, Boy Scouts are great learning experience! Interesting that the two sisters also wanted to go but some girls like trains too. Glad everyone enjoyed themselves.

Say Curt: For some unknown reason I couldn't get your video to play on my system.

Question fellow rail huggers....
Did yous have something similar in the good ol' US of A?

View attachment 60966

Photo: Lennart Persson

Say Mel: I'm not sure I know what your asking, are you talking about the rounded top box car? I think that's what that is? If so, I can't say I seen anything like it here in the U.S.

Just realized that Kaiser scheduled my upcoming colonoscopy on the same day as our wedding anniversary.
That ought to get a few remarks in the family!

Now .. for all you peeps!

View attachment 60965

Say Sherrel: LoL on both issues!

Chilly 16 deg here in Mass a tu shi(r)ts tday! Going to visit my Mom today. She is just hitting 99 years old in a few months, but not doing very well at all. I hope she can know its me .. again. Flo, bring me a quick coffee before we head on down to Connecticut. See all you later

Say Tony: Nice thing to be going to see your Mom, sorry to hear she is not doing so well. That's a bit of a drive I would imagine. Have a good trip going and coming back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning. it's cloudy and 34.
According to the radar, it's been snowing here for the last several hours, but I haven't seen a single flake--other than the one looking out of the mirror...

In a follow-up to an earlier story, I received a letter from my former doctor's office.
This letter was remarkable in two ways. First, that they sent it, and it was an apology for giving me the incorrect inoculation. I never expected them to admit any wrongdoing. They also refunded my copay for my visit, and reversed the billing to my insurance company.
The second thing that was remarkable is that I actually got the letter, remembering my issues with my local Post Office.

Oh, in case you were wondering where he went after he stopped acting, the doctor is Timothy Dalton...

Good Morning All. Looks like 40° and overcast here this morning. Rain that was in the forecast never showed up yesterday. Resumed mowing for a while yesterday, I finally completed all of the area that I intend to mow in the coming season. I am reclaiming about an additional 1500 sq ft from the wild! Sure wish that the pool would warm up a bit! 58° right now.
Not much to report from the train shed. The Spring days are just too fine to spend a lot of time indoors. That will change as it warms up though. I did run a couple of through freights though, to keep the track clean and locos lubricated.

Terry - I am certainly familiar with that expression, but like Beady and probably many others, I have always lost an hour of awake on Sunday rather than an hour of sleep Saturday night. Kudos to your former doctor for the letter.
Bruce -
Two or three times a month there is a drunken screaming argument in the driveway RIGHT under my bedroom window! (even in Winter!)
Maybe a bucket of ice water out the window would resolve that!
Sherrel - Enjoy the trip to the desert. I just read an article regarding that.
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

Dave - Have a safe trip.
Curt - Thanks for the video. It is great to see the whole perspective of your layout.
Hello Eric. Are you receiving us? I am beginning to get concerned.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning gang
Brrrr cold here, NWS is predicting 6+ inches of white stuff for tomorrow night into Tuesday. Time to stock up on the necessitys of life. Bread, milk,T.P. and beer. Might ron over to the LHS today, grab some decoders.

Good morning .....

Hey, does Daylight Savings Time cause Climate Change ?.... LOL :confused: ....... Freezing temperatures here this morning.

Chet ...... There should be a caption for the E9..... Engineer:... "Some damn fool pulled up the tracks. "

Terry .... Interesting letter from former doctor. ..... I watched the safety video. Unfortunately, drivers at fault in grade crossing accidents can still sue the railroad. Railroads are considered "deep pockets" and pay big dollars.

Eric .... Thinking of you and hoping everything is improving.

Willie .... Glad you at least ran some trains.

Louis ... Interesting historic photo of Camden Yards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning, Happy Sunday, Happy Daylight Savings Time!

23°, bright and sunny here in the Soprano State. We are threatened with a massive snowstorm Monday night into Tuesday. Given that this is Jersey, it might happen. :rolleyes: Then again, it might not :confused:.

Yesterday's good news, 'Nova won the Big East, and Notre Dame Lost the ACC. Bad news is that in the World Cup of Baseball, the DR beat Team USA, and in the NHL, the Caps and the Devils both lost. For Garry's benefit, UK's pretend "Cats" also won their game. :rolleyes: Needless to say, I did not go near my layout yesterday. Too many distractions.

Louis: interesting contrast at Camden Yards. A 1984 era photo, while they were debating the "need" to build a new ball park, would be nice to splice into the spread.

MILW: Moving rail equipment on flat bed trucks is also done here in the USA.

Curt: Your video is well done, and very enjoyable. Nice layout. I think this is the first time, we were able to see your railroad all together, so to speak. I was really able to appreciate your fidelity to detail.

Karl: I stopped at Wally World yesterday, for supplies. Figured, (incorrectly), I would beat the crowd. :rolleyes:

Good morning fellers. Daylight savings threw me for a loop this morning. Talk about over sleeping. Cold but sunny day here in West Virginia. See what I can get into today. Catch ya'll later.
8548e4b865dc2ec6fbce2d8c6380da64.jpg

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Oh yes the urge to call the cops and throw stuff is strong but I want no "thing" going on with the neighbors. Tit for tat gets real old real quick and escalates so no, no water or police, just wait em out, folks like that bounce every few years and I have SOME few shreds of patience stiff left. I'll get some batteries into the camera one of these days and snap a shot to show you what I mean. They give white trash a bad rep with the "tableau" in their yard! It's worthy of inclusion on somebodies layout,hmmmmm, on second thought...no.

Good morning. it's cloudy and 34.
According to the radar, it's been snowing here for the last several hours, but I haven't seen a single flake--other than the one looking out of the mirror...

Funny, my sister in Wilmington just posted pics of her house and yard covered in white!

Funny, my sister in Wilmington just posted pics of her house and yard covered in white!

Snowing in Charlotte and Raleigh as well. Not a thing here. It's bright and sunny, though pretty chilly. Supposed to have something like an inch and a half of rain tomorrow, we'll see how accurate that forecast is...

Garden railroad envy...

[video]https://www.facebook.com/Storyful/videos/10154505021208541/[/video]

Back