Coffee Shop XLI-2/23/2014

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN1427.jpg

DSCN1281.jpg

P5070329.jpg

Well, I'm calling it a night soon too. I'm quite tired for some reason. This afternoon, I began taking inventory of rolling stock, on my layout. Eventually, it will include all unfinished kits, and bad order cars. For now, I divided the cars currently on the layout, as well as some cars stored near the layout. I divided the cars by build/stencil date, and surprisingly came up with the following:

1950 - 1959 1 car
1960 - 1969 5 cars
1970 - 1979 19 cars
1980 - 1989 13 cars
1990 - 1999 1 car

This is just the start, but it is surprising, considering that my time frame of interest is primarily 1960 - 1969. My operating layout operates on the premise that it's the PRR, somewhere between 1965 and 1-31-1968. That is except during the summer months, when it becomes the CNJ / NY&LB circa 1970-1976.

A lot of the '80s stuff dates back to the '80s, when my interest was contemporary Conrail and Chessie system.

I'm sure things will change, when I open some of the other boxes, but surprised me.........

Joe

Good Morning!
It's Tue 4/22/14

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

COFFEE_CREME1.png

Cooler, high of 62 with a chance of morning rain. No yard work today. :D

trainwreck.png

:cool:

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Good morning. It's 66° with 94% humidity. The high will be 82° an cloudy with a small chance of rain.
condmc-1.jpg
with
cond20.jpg

A little while ago a friend of mine stopped by on his way to work. He left his Apple IIc computer for me to fix. I've looked at it and determined it's disk drive needs more than a cleaning. The read/write head needs to be replaced. No biggie. I have the part in question and the work won't take any longer than a cleaning. It's an easy job I can do while watching 'The Train'.

Other than the above I'll be doing very little today. The busiest I'm likely to be is soldering a 9-pin DCC plug into a Lima Hustler switcher.

DSCN3534.jpg

A recent project involved installing Digitrax DH126 decoders in two repowered Varney F3A locos. One such is pictured below.

DSCN3543.jpg

Good morning all, Jeffrey glad to see your pictures being posted again, I missed them while you were sick. Well another fine sunny warm day here in bluenose country, must be a record, 2 good days in a row the only thing better than that would be 3 good days in a row.
Got a bit of paneling on in the layout room last evening so I guess it's time to post what I have planned so far for the layout. I've drawn the the bench work, it's obvious it will be loop to loop butt no track plan as of yet.
Well you all have a great day
Cheers
Willis

Did the wiring work on the Lima Hustler to install a 9-pin DCC plug for motor control. It'll eventually have it's own DH126 decoder. For now I borrowed one from one of the Varney F3's. The speed table will have to be set for switcher for sure. On the default setting this thing will almost fly. Add wings and it probably would.

DSCN3547.jpg

DSCN3549.jpg

Good afternoon.
Last weekend, before the screaming hordes of family came roaring in to our house, I went over to the club I am a member of. One of the things I did while I was there was remove any out of era cars from the club layout. Some members had complained that we should have only cars and locomotives that belong to the time being represented. The era is officially 1958. So, nothing newer than 1958 could be on the layout, and nothing older than 1908, as anything older is barred from interchange. It was an eye opening experience, and I am sure there will be some comments tonight at our operating session. Out of 600+ cars and 50 locomotives that were on the layout when I started, there are now less than 50 cars, and 30 locomotives.
And yes, anticipating what will be said and done, I organized the cars into containers, grouping them according to where they were on the layout, so they can be relatively easily replaced where they came from.

Wow Terry, you really cleaned things up on the club layout. What will they say?
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Seems I tweaked my back a bit while outside playing last saturday. Taking it real slow last couple days. Sun is trying to come out so may carry bills down to post office and get stamps.

Warning! Contains geek content!

Got my friends Apple IIc opened up and the problem is a little more technical than I thought. The read/write head in the disk drive checks out as good. However it's position is off by two or three degrees. It was dead-on the last time I worked on it and there's nothing wrong with my work. Only two things can account for this part being out of adjustment. #1, the user tried aligning it but I can't see that as he's not a computer geek, not even electronically inclined. #2, it was dropped which I consider likely as there's a small crack on one corner of the case. It wasn't there the last time. Still, it's no problem. I can have the computer on with the diagnostic program running while I readjust the head azimuth to true. What makes that slightly interesting is the program disk can't be in the drive while I'm making the physical adjustments yet the program needs to be running. That's the wonderful thing about small programs. They can be resident in memory. No disk required after loading. Where it gets interesting is when the disk is put in and the drive door is closed. The rough position indicator vanishes from the screen and is replaced by a pair of precise position markers. As I slowly turn a screw on the control board a dot on the screen will get closer to or further away from a horizontal or vertical azimuth marker on the screen depending on which of the two screws I'm turning at the time. In the end the two '+' marks should be lined up on the single '-' mark. And since I've been typing this with one hand and making adjustments with the other hand I'm finished. It's done. The drive is aligned as close to perfect as I can get it. The only way I could get it maybe a fraction of a degree closer is with an oscilloscope, which I don't have. I'm running the test program now and it indicates the drive is within factory parameters. Am I good or what?

Wow Terry, you really cleaned things up on the club layout. What will they say?
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Well, they said some things I can't really post on the forum...
My response was, be careful what you wish for. And if I had really wanted to be anal, I would have removed all the out of era cars and trucks from the streets and roads. I then showed them around the layout, showing them the 1963 Chevies, the 1968 Loadstar trucks, the Ford C series trucks that didn't come out until 1960 or so, along with the 1970's-1980's tractor-trailer rigs dotting the landscape... We are planning on voting on a slightly looser time frame in two weeks. And the ones complaining about all the out of era stuff have been invited to either purchase era-correct cars and donate them for club use, or keep their mouths shut.

Hello Erik. I only have one steamer for sale,and it is is a Bachmann Spectrum L&N 4-8-2. So,sorry my friend,I wish I did.William. Just as a thought,what are you looking for? 2-8-0,4-6-0,etc?

Well, they said some things I can't really post on the forum...
My response was, be careful what you wish for. And if I had really wanted to be anal, I would have removed all the out of era cars and trucks from the streets and roads. I then showed them around the layout, showing them the 1963 Chevies, the 1968 Loadstar trucks, the Ford C series trucks that didn't come out until 1960 or so, along with the 1970's-1980's tractor-trailer rigs dotting the landscape... We are planning on voting on a slightly looser time frame in two weeks. And the ones complaining about all the out of era stuff have been invited to either purchase era-correct cars and donate them for club use, or keep their mouths shut.

Terry,
I think all of that would make it pretty tough for me to be in a club. I am afraid I wouldnt have patience for the complainers.

Matt

Terry,
I think all of that would make it pretty tough for me to be in a club. I am afraid I wouldnt have patience for the complainers.

Matt

That's the reason I left the club I was once President of. If I wanted to hear all the constant griping and bickering, I would have stayed married to the 1st wife!!:rolleyes:

Went to dinner with the family tonight. Besides myself there were my niece and her husband, my sister and her husband, my father and stepmother and several friends. I had chicken, beef and shrimp fajitas and a diet Dr Pepper.

After the computer and decoder work I did today I wonder what I can do tomorrow as an encore. Lots of nothing? Sounds good to me. My father told me to be over at his place around noon. He's making beans, rice and cornbread.

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

P1010001-65.jpg

P1010002-42.jpg

P1011982.jpg

Back