Coffee Shop 31 Feb 12th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for me to call it a night. Wiped down the track this morning and I've been running trains ever since, I have the pair of Atlas FP7's running as mainline while I do some switching with the pair of Bachmann GP7's. While the Atlas locos have Bachmann lightboard decoders the two Bachmann Geeps have Digitrax DZ125's and have a better degree of control. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN1720.jpg

DSCN1717.jpg

Good morning. It's 65 now and headed to 82 with some thunderstorms. I've been home for the weekend and everything looks like it's the middle of April! Flowers blooming, leaves on the trees and bushes and grass that needs mowing! Redbuds are blooming and people are looking for mushrooms! Don't know if anybody has found any yet, but it won't be long, as they go with the redbud trees blooming, time wise. This will surely go down as one of the warmest Marches in history!

Good morning from SoCal. 48 heading for a sunny 63 today. In the 70s for the rest of the week. The rain restricted itself to Saturday only. Today is just another Monday at the office. **sigh**

Good morning. It's 72° and cloudy. The high will be 82° and there's a 20% chance of showers and thunderstorms. Wind is at SSE at 9 mph gusting to 30. Lake wind advisory is in effect.

Running trains again this morning. I have the two 70's era Roco/Atlas GP40's pulling the mainline freight. Their old motors are rumbling nicely. I discovered some internal damage on one them, presumably from a fall from the display rack last year when a hanger on said rack broke and spilled some of the locos on my bed before the racks fall was stopped by the window frame. One of the gear towers was cracked. A little epoxy fixed that right up. The FP7's and GP7's worked hard yesterday and are getting a rest. Had a problem with the newer FP7 yesterday. The motor (mostly plastic) was running quite hot. So I lubed the bearings and put a couple of drops of CRC 2-26 on the commutator, turned the motor by hand a few times then put power to it and ran it in. It runs better now but still runs a bit warm. Warm is all right, hot is not. As regards the Bachmann GP7's, I have nothing bad to say about them. They run quiet and smooth, no stalling, no gear noise and they pull like nobody's business (I run my two as an mu'd set). Same report on their GP9's. David brought his two over yesterday for programming and to have Kadee's installed. They just seem to float down the rails. I'd say Bachmann has made up well for all the trashy junk they sold in the 80's and 90's.

P1010582.jpg

Good Evening.

Thanks for the well wishes and prayers guys. I went up to the hospital yesterday and spent the night with him and his brother there. He slipped in and out of consciousness a few times as his heart would do its thing...they operated on him and he is doing a bit better although his heart rhythm is still out of sorts. Triple Bypass surgery is not fun....:(

I'm going to be doing the hospital in and out routine for the next little while with him I guess..his wife is here as well...:)

Barry, it seems you were in the right place at the right time! Hopefully things will work out well for all concerned.

Starting the 7 PM to 7:30 AM shift tonight :eek: as the outages starts. The next two weeks or so will be very hectic!

Good morning from SoCal. 48 heading for sunny and 70. Nothing new or special. Day 2 of another work week with continuing personnel issues. Is it 5:00pm yet?

Good morning. It's 72° and cloudy. A wind advisory is in effect. The high should be 78°. There's a 90% chance of rain with locally heavy rainfall possible. Wind is SSE 20 - 25 mph gusting to 30.

Well here it is the first day of spring and I'm wondering what the heck happened to winter. It never got cold here. The mosquitoes are going to be the size of trucks this summer.

Gave the Atlas H24-66 Trainmaster a run this morning. The decoder in it was a junk box find and lasted longer than I thought it would. Third trip around the layout the decoder fried. Oh well. What could I expect for free? Gasoline? It gave me time to evaluate the loco though. It runs smooth and quiet, goes over the turnouts with hardly a sound and can pull a big load. The kicker? This loco was free! The front and rear handrails were gone so I installed a set of metal handrails from an old Athearn GP7. What the heck. They get the job done. When I get another decoder it's going into the Trainmaster.

I have the GP9 Frankenlocos running right now. Amazing how quiet they are considering they were cobbled together from bits and pieces. The Atlas FP7's make more noise than these geeps do.

Well, that's it for now.

DSCN1754.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back