Weekly Photo Fun 10-30/11-5

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Nice work Big Al, it's good to finally see you on the forums!


DSCF1154.jpg
 
BAM Those scenes are amazing---love 'em. :):) Question--do you modify all your vehicles? They tell great stories---like the way you have the fellow talking to the other with the car up and tires all over---:)

Crandell The GG1 getting pushed into the trainshed---is that a Divco truck I detect there?:confused::):)
 


Barry, if you mean the blue and white nose-on vehicle, it is a die-cast old-style bus. I don't know what the prototype is/was, but it seems to be a close match for an HO scale bus of that era, so I'm going with it. The price was right, too. I think I paid CDN$6.00 at a small toy store on Vancouver Island.

-Crandell
 
Nate, nice engines and cars. I've never thought to take a picture of derailment but, if I did, I would have filled up a 10 Gb SD card in my early days of building my layout. :D

Haha yeaaa, thats deffinately not my first derailment...but i thought it was kinda cool just the way it happened...hard to explain haha

I think we should do a derailments WPF just for the hell of it :P

Thanks for the compliments Jim,

-Nate
 
When i first saw Gramp's pic I thought "Isn't this thread about model photos..??" I had to take a REAL close look to convince myself it was a model....Terrific work...
Crandell's I know is a model, otherwise....??

Everybody keep those pics coming..!!;)
 
If anyone hasn't seen my kitbashed (if you will) BLMA surfaces... (They come without black trim)

mt1.jpg


...My active freight roster, all current, unlike past freight cars that I had.

MT6.jpg


MT5.jpg


The consist can base FEC Train 222 as long as I get a darned auto-max.

This room is being cleaned to make way for a huge layout. Progress of clean up, projects big and small can be seen at my blog at http://fectrainsinhoscale.blogspot.com .
 
Jim, A company called Lefton did several series of Roadside USA HO scale ceramic buildings in the eighties. They did train stations, gas stations, drive-ins, dinners some roadside stuff plus some hang on the wall type building fronts. They were all of actual buildings and were meant to be collected. The prices ranged for $30 to $70, at the time too high for modelers to use and they appear to have not caught on as collectibles. I happen to have found a bunch at local Value City for about $1 on $10. So I got a Seattle fire house, Texaco a dinner, three building fronts a nice Train station and the HOJO. The had a Big Boy I really wanted but someone had ripped off the Big Boy statue. All in a the detail is good and they're very heavy. They are very hard to find now. The one house I just found and bought. I have no idea who made it, but it looks pretty good.
 
I have been continuing work on the flat cars yesterday and today. Some decal s were added to the cars (still waiting for the standard freight cars decals to arrive to be able to put loaded weight, blt. date, etc. on them.

TichyFlat06w.png


TichyFlat07w.png


In other news, the old hand laid code 70 track on the logging pike on the layout is being ripped up. It was put down about 24 years ago and time and temp./humidity/ changes have taken their toll. There are several out of guage spots that I am not going to be able to fix. Also the curve on the inside track is way too severe. I do have 2 scratch built stub end turnouts that I will try to preserve and reuse as they are a start on the Civil Engineering AP Certificate.

Logging01w.png
 


I was able to get out of the garage and do a little railfanning on the MRL. I set up on a bluff overlooking the Bozeman Tunnel along the interstate but I was only able to catch a BNSF Grain Train and the MRL 840 Local heading to Livingston with its GP35 team pulling the way.

Picture004.png



Picture034.png


Happy Holloween!!
 
Some detail shots of the Galveston Model Railroad Club. Their annual open house is on the 14th of November. Delivered 18 pieces to them last Monday. And yes I will be dropping down from Arkansas to visit with them for the day again on the open house.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 
Some additional shots, really like what they did with the Walthers rail barge making it into a powered car ferry.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 
Ray - those flat car decks look terrific! Almost a shame to pile a load on top of them.

Matt - Galveston club looks top notch. Be sure to post some pics after you get back from their open house.
 
Adam, those are the first bridge embankments I've seen made from logs. Looks perrty good in G scale.

BB, nice work on the concrete crossing. Looks like you're building up a nice fleet too.

Gary, I remember those building being sold to collectors and wondering if people were off their rockers to pay those kind of prices. Apparently, they were. :) I'd sure snap some of those up if I could find them at the prices you paid.

Ray, you gonna do the girder load too? Nice job on the decks. That logging road actually looks pretty authentic, given the shaky condition of most logging railroads.

Jeffrey, isn't that Santa Fe Condionaire car the one that had the foam insulation on the outside? I've thought about doing one but could never figure out how I would decal it.

Zak, nice scene and photography. It's little details that paved over track at the crossing that make scenes stand out.

Matt, I'll take any HO leftovers you have. :) Impressive structures and photos, as usual. I sure wish I lived closer to Galveston. Looks a really nice club layout.
 
Jeffrey, isn't that Santa Fe Condionaire car the one that had the foam insulation on the outside? I've thought about doing one but could never figure out how I would decal it.
I can do some close-ups of it if you want. At least then you'll have a guide.
 
Adam, those are the first bridge embankments I've seen made from logs. Looks perrty good in G scale.

BB, nice work on the concrete crossing. Looks like you're building up a nice fleet too.


Thanks! I'll be getting more freight cars next week most likely, I'll be hitting the Local Hobby Shop. And maybe a locomotive in time for XMAS.
 
Haha yeaaa, thats deffinately not my first derailment...but i thought it was kinda cool just the way it happened...hard to explain haha

I think we should do a derailments WPF just for the hell of it :P

Thanks for the compliments Jim,

-Nate

Your derailment is a easy fix! By the looks of your points, you need to file'um down some! In one of my albums there are some pic's of how I fixed the points on my Kato #4 switches I used a cone shaped grinding stone in my dremal and carefully ground down and sharpend the points. Do the same thing to your points and derailments should be less often!
picture.php
 
Last edited by a moderator:


a handful more

As always, awesome pics, Al! I want to make a personal recommendation, maybe add intermodal service, that's definitely SoCal, comin' off the Port of LA. I got spine cars from my LHS and was hooked. I think there might be just enough space for a mini Intermodal Yard... I really like the realism and detail you put in :D
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top