Weekend Photo Fun May 1-3

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
Happy Friday everybody! Looks like I need to kick it off again. My apologies for the excessively-wide pix -
they were the smallest I could get my camera to shoot, and I was afraid to digitally downsize them because
that would distort the brick mortar lines.


Been assembling structures for a Main Street-type business block across from my steel mill. These are my
latest additions, a drug store and a former White Tower hamburger joint under new ownership. The white cardboard
platform I set them on was warped, which unfortunately caused some stray light to be visible from the inside.
Their permanent locations will be on a perfectly-flat, dark gray surface.

First, the drug store - which shares the building with a union hall (this is a steel town, remember!;)). I edited
the prices downward on some of the window ads, to make them look more like the target year 1992:

RiteAid_and_USW_03.jpg


RiteAid_and_USW_01.jpg


RiteAid_and_USW_05.jpg


RiteAid_and_USW_04.jpg



...and the Burger Shack. The short wall toward the left is the 'front' [1st pic], which faces the street.
The 2nd pic shows the drive-in window, the 3rd one is a rear view:

BluesBurgerShack01.jpg


BluesBurgerShack02.jpg


BluesBurgerShack03.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Great buildings Ken! I especially like the brickwork, well done! I also like to see buildings that have new owners.
As for me, I managed to get a start on the town of Longhurst. It's a branch line running into staging in the pickle room and will be either Santa Fe, SP&S, CN or CP depending on the what's running and who's running it.
At last a destination for all those paper loads from the Fuerst Matthes Mill, and a source of pulpwood too!
 


Here's a couple of shots of the small community of Sundown. The town council holds it's meetings on the second floor of the fire station in a room that also serves as the courtroom. The judge's room is also the fire chief's office.

DSCN1049.jpg


DSCN1051.jpg
 
I like the brick building Ken, that looks good. You will show photos when it is planted? Jeffrey, I like small town multi-purpose buidings/businesses. My favorite is just up the road a bit from me and the sign says, "Groceries, Tanning and Saw Sharpening."

I took this yesterday near my house.
bn9568.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
thats a nice shot. The sky is absolutely beautifull! I might have some shots of my b unit builds going on. Battery is dead.
 
Great buildings Ken!

Here's the "Psycho" house. I havn't been able to finish its scenery yet, but that will happen soon. Now I didn't build the kit as the Psycho movie house, but just as a nice mansion. Hence, no extreme weathering. As a nod to the movie though, I did install "Mother Bates" in the upstairs window. Her bedroom will have a solitary light in it once installed. Hope ya like it!
 
Went to Alexandria today to visit the hobby shop and found that it was closed the 30th, 1st and 2nd. Of well, I'll spend my MR money elsewhere and headed over to Hobby Lobby where I picked up these two items:

An Erie-Lackawanna ACF center flow hopper. Anybody get the idea that I like these things? I only have ten of them, from many roads including the KCS.
DSCN1063.jpg


And Bob's hot dog stand (can't stand hot dogs myself).
DSCN1061.jpg
 


I received a call from the LHS yesterday afternoon that the loco that I had ordered a couple of months back had arrived. Athearn RTR EMD SW1500 that is undecorated. I guess that I have been inspired by a few of the members here that are obsessed with switchers, I just had to have one of my own. The plan is to paint/have this painted up as my own line. I haven't got the final colors and scheme finalized yet but, I am pretty close. While I was at the checkout I saw a WSOR Model Railroader 75th Anniversary boxcar and I could not resist grabbing that as well. :D
 
I received a call from the LHS yesterday afternoon that the loco that I had ordered a couple of months back had arrived. Athearn RTR EMD SW1500 that is undecorated. I guess that I have been inspired by a few of the members here that are obsessed with switchers, I just had to have one of my own. :D

Now Carl, whom might you be talking about??!! LOL :D
 
Ken, that drugstore looks fantastic! The brickwork with the black mortar looks just right. Nice work on the signs and doors too. I'll have to take a picture of mine. It looks pretty pathetic compared to yours but at least it will be a nice contrast. :) The burger shack came out great too. Like Josh said, we want pics of your downtown area when you're done.

Jeffrey, your little burg is like mine, with the police and fire station in the same building. Nice shot. That hot dog stand looks like it will be a nice addition to your town.

Paul, outstanding picture with all the different elements. Great detail on the bridge rivets and rust colors. Nice locomotive too. :D

Karl, what company made that kit? I can't remember the name but I swear I built that same model when I was about 22, which is over 40 years ago. As I remember, it was a real bear too. You did an great job.

Jerome, I see you are spreading switcher flu to the masses now. :eek:

Carl, that's why they have those things at the checkout counter. I hate it when I stare at it and just can't resist grabbing it. Nice looking engine and car.
 
Now Carl, whom might you be talking about??!! LOL :D
Jerome ~ Oh gosh, I wonder who that might be. :D I think that seeing your whole fleet of switchers probably put me over the edge.

Jim ~ Yea, it's the little things by the register that will get ya. I saw it there as I was walking up to the register and talking with the shop owner. She said she went through her 75th anniversary cars pretty quick so I could not resist grabbing the last one.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jeffrey, your little burg is like mine, with the police and fire station in the same building. Nice shot. That hot dog stand looks like it will be a nice addition to your town.
Here's the hot dog stand and the covered hopper after a quick stint under the weathering sprayer.

P5020303.jpg


DSCN1071.jpg


Nice haul there James.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys, and thanks a lot for all the kind words! Makes all the past 5 weeks of work worthwhile. And I'll be sure to post pix of the completed city block once I have them 'planted.'

Jeff - Nice work on the hot dog stand, I'm surprised you didn't change it to a burger place if you don't like 'dogs...I was thinking during the whole time I worked on my Burger Shack, I'd love to find one of those places within a 50mi radius and wolf down a half-dozen sliders!:D

Paul - that photo is true contest material. Really. It rivals Bob Boudreau's work!

Karl - nice work on Psycho Manor, strip away the horror aspect and you got a fine piece of Victorian architecture! I don't suppose they still make that kit by any chance?

Carl - great find on that 75th anniv. boxcar! And my steel mill could certainly use one of those SW1500's but with all my other spending priorities I just don't have enough leftover cash *sigh*

James - quite a haul from the train show! What scale is it?
 
Last edited by a moderator:






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top