Running Bear's October 2025 Coffee Shop

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Moin!

43°F/42°F chilly degrees this morning at 0630. Furnace is running for the third day this season. It ran once in September. Probably the earliest I can ever remember having to fire it up.

Have to go get a script today and will stop by for some Bitburger for this afternoon.

Nothing else planned, might run trains again. I ran them yesterday for a few hours, and then remembered I needed to put a pie in the oven and start dinner. That cut my operating session a couple of hours short.

Have a good day today!
 
Good morning all!

Happy Friday!

Currently 51F heading up to a high of only 64F. I see a little rain to the north and south of us but as usual none will make it to
us.

Not much going on today other than the usual Friday household duties. Daughter is off school today for the annual Statewide
institute day. then off Monday as well for the holiday, so a needed 4 day weekend for students.

No volleyball tonight, not even a practice, so totally free night with no running.

Have a safe day everyone!
 


Good morning, Everybody!

God is always with us. Unfortunately, God does not care about our bank accounts or any material things.

Dodgers 2 Phillies 1. This is MLB? WTF is more like it. And that is all I am going to say about that, as i happily watch the Brewers and the Cubs. No sooner than I say that Ian Happ hit a 3-run homerun in the bottom of the first. A four-seam fastball up and out over the plate and Happ didn't miss it!

Tom - How far are you from Milwaukee?

In Baltimore we like to call a 3-run homerun "a Weaver" Earl loved the 3-run homerun! When the Orioles hit it that is.

Enjoy your day Everybody!
To the front parking lot at American Family Field is 87 miles and 90 miles to downtown Milwaukee. Of more interest to me though is Hiawatha Hobbies is only 64 miles! I still think the Brewers will pull this off but was shocked immediately by the poor pitching last night of Brewer Freddy P. On Wednesday because we were there I really wanted the Brewers to win. We both are still thawing out from that experience. Last night on TV watching that 1st inning and also the Black Hawks on split screen you could tell it wasn’t going to be good for the Brewers. Lots of 3 bangers so far in this series. 5 games is good for TV not so much for Brewer fans and their hearts
 
Good morning from my little part of Wisconsin. 51f degrees now heading to 74 but it’s damp as we had rains starting around 5am.

A Friday night and we have no games to attend on campus. Normally on Friday we follow Wisconsin tradition and head out for a Fish Fry. But the plan is Terry will hit up the fishmonger for Walleye for her and 8 prawns for me. I will grill not fry them on the Weber outside. Volleyball on TV at 6 as the Badgers are at Penn State. Hockey on campus is Saturday at 11am and Sunday at 1 with the Packers playing at 3:25pm we’ll be back home in time for that or maybe miss the 1st quarter.

Today, I was planning to bring in the outdoor furniture but with this morning rain, I will let everything dry off until Saturday afternoon. If I knew the rain was predicted I would have brought in all the cushions

Trains today, it will be more swing bridge building starting in about 45 minutes. I did start a build thread.

Enjoy the day
 
Good Morning All. Clear and 61°, quite a bit chillier than yesterday at this time when it was 68°. It will be near 90° later on and for the next ten days. Still no rain in our forecast...it's been a while.

Yesterday wasn't as successful as I hoped for. Minor issues everywhere. The grocery store was out of two items that my wife wanted, one that they are not going to carry any more. She wasn't with me to look for alternatives...but they aren't essentials. Then the Vitamin Shoppe was out of one of the three items that i was there for; they were also out last week. That meant ordering on-line after I got home. Again not critical as I have had to do this before. The hearing aid adjustment was mostly successful, but there is still a glitch when activating them in the morning. The new tech is going to have to get guidance from someone with more knowledge. It can be overcome manually using the phone app, but that is just extra hassle when I first put them in. Then the pharmacy next! Someone at my PCP doctor failed to follow through with a refill request, so only the prescription from the cardiologist was ready. Of course, Thursday is the day of the week that the doc's office closes early, so I have to call this morning and then make a return trip to town to pick it up later.
Not sure yet of today's tasks and chores; but it won't be the dishwasher! Maybe just watch a few train cab ride videos.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I continued with my dual projects. At the brewery site, I painted that blank plywood a concrete color; all that's left is to now add ground cover alongside the RR ROW. On the structure itself, the simple task of re-installing the roof access ladders. Then while the paint dried, I moved over to the section of the layout undergoing it's biennial cleaning and finished vacuuming the rest of the trackage in front of the Ethanol refinery up to the staging yard. Then it was time to start moving trains out from it. Well, that always takes time when I get the throttle in hand, as I ended up in this case doing laps since I can do continuous running on the upper level. So it became run a few laps and then park on a passing siding somewhere. Now I have all of the passing sidings full so I have to move the last two trains out and park them on the main. Then the fun begins! Lots of track to inspect and clean. The worst is between the track closest to the backdrop and the backdrop itself, many insects go there to commit suicide! Specifically though, I will be looking for some pieces of fragile ladders that are missing from a couple of intermodal well cars. While all of the trains are out and about, I usually shuffle cars around that aren't set up specifically for a switchlist.

Todd - Snow already? Reminds me that I didn't sweep my chimney last spring when the heating season was over and I need to do it before startup this season.
Louis - Two years ...a long time for having one job??? I worked for my company for 43 years. First job that I got after getting married, and only company that I worked for until retirement. I worked many different positions within that company. Went through five owners though.
"Wings of Angles" boxcars. What a perfect gift for my brother the Lionel man.
John - $450 is actually a good deal for a tax return these days. Before she retired from H&R Block, my wife was getting $250 per return that she did on the side. She didn't have to pay for the software.

"Daimond Dave", vocalist David Lee Roth of Van Halen is 71 today.
Everyone have a great Friday. Enjoy the upcoming weekend.
 
Good Morning All!
38F @ 75% To 72F around 1700.

Could not put in the upper small windows yesterday - it was to HOT on the green roof with walls of brown. Tried one, and was having trouble finding the screw holes in dem windows - still can't see very well through sweat. Should be better today before 1300, we will see. I did get more ground leveling done and the Train Cave swept. Progress.

Willie: Ya, guessers changed the forecast - imagine that! Anyway, now it is slated for the higher elevations - 3000' and up @ 40% chance with 2" maybe. We are at 2000' which probably won't matter as we should still see some white. I just won't stick. 27F nighttime on Monday with 24% chance. That may stick for a little bit into Tuesday. More is coming though. Consensus around here is *lots* of snow this winter. Bees and others have burrowed into the ground, haven't seen a Robin for a few weeks and the squirrels are gathering fruits along with the normal nuts. So colder too. Probably not deep freeze, maybe 0 to 20/30F for quite awhile. We are ready!

Booty and Butt mean the same thing. Call and Dial also mean the same thing. But Booty Call and Butt Dial? Completely different.

L8r
 


No it doesn’t.
Yes, it does. Do you really think I would have said if not?
I paid $189 for the 2024
I paid $99 from Amazon for Turbo Tax to compile the taxes of my four business and my wife's. It also included the state of Maryland, but I must pay the fee to the state to file with Maryland. Unlike the Feds, Maryland charges a fee to file electronically.
Of course there are discounts available, but merchants seldom pass on discounts.
As I told John there are always discounts.
 
Because the software is not $739. That’s the full Live Business service where the guy does it for you. The small print below (and the header at top) explains it.
As I said, the list is $739.

Unlimited, year-round tax support at no extra cost​

Direct access to our small business tax experts. Connect with an expert as often as you need, even on nights and weekends during tax season—no appointment needed.

Read carefully. Full service is extra. $739 includes "File your own business taxes with expert help as you go, or upgrade to let a tax expert prepare and file for you." $1749 for full service, Federal, state is extra

 


Louis - Two years ...a long time for having one job???
I can be... difficult. Any slight disrespect could bring an adverse reaction. "F-off Richard" Fortunately for me, I always found a better paying job and I was never out of work for more than a few days. I often found a new job the same day. a few times on my way home from the job I just quit. It was good to be me, back then at least.

Eventually, I gave up working for others and went out on my own. The upside to being self-employed is you don't have to suffer fools or share the profits. Any dumb 💩 was my 💩 and all the money was mine! I made just under $70,000 in 1994 and nearly double it in 1995, my first year on my own and it only got better from there. Except for health problems. Angela says "God wanted to teach me humility." I learned my lesson.

I was blessed to learn these lessons before I met her. She has said many times "I would not have liked you when you were young and cocky."

I still want a rooster.
1760119351290.png

If I can no longer be cocky, I would like to have a cocky bird.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top