Running Bear's October 2025 Coffee Shop

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to cut the grass before the chance of rain. It's clouded up now, so moisture is increasing. I hope that is the last cut of the season.

I'm not counting on doing it again. The north side of my yard hasn't been cut in two months, but you'd never know it. I didn't touch it today either, nor did I cut the far south back part that is in perpetual shade from July until the leaves fall.

Lunch in 45 minutes and then...???
 
Now that my house has an interior temperature lower than molten lead, I've been tackling some projects. Some projects are more important, but they may be superseded by projects that I already have the materials on hand. I've added vents to the bedroom so there can be some air flow so it stays cooler (or warmer) in there. I made the requisite three trips to the big box hardware store to gather enough supplies to install the dishwasher. It's currently washing a handful of dishes. I've cleaned out and consolidated stuff in my workshop so I can actually step inside and close the door behind me while I'm in there.
I discovered a TV tray will work as a night stand in a pinch, and I will need to earmark at least one tote for clothing, so I can store Winter clothes in it in Summer, and vice versa. I'm cleaning out the area now inhabited by the "temporary" layout, to make room for the permanent one that's still in storage.
I've experimented, and discovered orange Gatorade and vodka makes an interesting drink. It was kind of an accidental experiment...
How can mixing orange Gatorade and vodka be an accident? If you left the Gatorade the colour would stand out, I do not seeing you forgot to drink a vodka…..now if you were sloshed on the vodka…then maybe….
Divvy up….what was ‘accidental’ :p
 
Just a reminder to be careful when eating. I had a "choking" experience last night.

I had a slightly dried out low carb tortilla to use up and my daughter had opened a new peanut butter jar -- the kind you have to stir. She didn't want to stir it so I did it for her and then decided I'd put some peanut butter on the tortilla, some honey, fold it into quarters, and eat it for supper.

I was watching a church video of the 1/2 yearly conference going on this weekend with the wife and I was having trouble with swallowing it or having it go down. I was able to breathe but it felt uncomfortable in the back of the throat and I could feel that the breathing. might become an issue if I didn't get it to wash down.

I decided to go get a drink to help to get down the pipe but the water wouldn't go down and I then couldn't breathe well, and started coughing and even heaved some up and out to try and get it out. I could breathe a little and tried again with the water but it really wasn't going down, and it became hard to breathe with the water blocking things off along with the peanut butter and slightly dried out tortilla mush at the top of the pipe. Again, more coughing and some heaving to get the rest of it out. Wife comes over to see what is up and try and help but the last heaves and coughs cleared it out enough that breathing was not an issue. I was then able to cough some more in a controlled way and then drink some water to wash the rest down. I still had some coughs for a while as bits got stuck but I drank water and cleaned it out.

It wasn't a case of it going down the wrong pipe. It was just an accumulation of the dried tortilla taking any moisture from the peanut butter and saliva and turning the whole thing into a cement like paste that just clogged the pipe. Needless to say I did not try again with the other tortilla that was left in the package. I'll make a "cheese crispy" later this week with it. Melted cheese and salsa doesn't tend to make the same paste-cement that peanut butter does.

I did eat two slices of thick "French" bread toasted and buttered with honey to finish off the supper. I try and avoid simple carbs like white bread and stuff but do indulge once in a while (like when I'm in Japan eating oishi bread -- that's what I call the white toast bread they make there -- it's to die for). I put "French" in quotes because the label said "French" on it but it was a larger loaf like some stores label "Italian" bread and was not a baguette type thing.

Anyway, be careful when eating and remember that some things will combine in ways you may not foresee to clog things up... And drink water or milk or other beverage when eating peanut butter sandwiches after each bit to avoid the accumulation of stuff in the pipe.
Heinrich manoeuvre, you need to learn this….actually YOUR wife needs to learn this (too)
Quick hint bend forward and let her slap you hard on the back, is better than nothing but not much
If you out weigh you wife it may be an issue, I am not explaining here in case I word it wrong
But if it was a baby or a child you can lift them and drop the head, so perhaps if by your self head for a soft piece of furniture, bed of arm chair arm lean over drop head, and thump yourself just below the rib cage, or if you know where the lump is just below that, try not to break any ribs!
Go research Heinrich manoeuvre …..and for our peace and calm thoughts
Stop eating really dry bread product! Peanut butter or no, and you needed a WARM drink which of course takes time and preferably a third person to go sort…..a warm drink will shift residue.

Slaps forehead (yours or mine :p for different reasons….grins….glad your ok….you suicidal nutter!)


I hate spellchecker Heimlich

Another edit….on a child or worse a baby……do not do too strongly you can break their ribs!!!
 
Last edited:


How can mixing orange Gatorade and vodka be an accident? If you left the Gatorade the colour would stand out, I do not seeing you forgot to drink a vodka…..now if you were sloshed on the vodka…then maybe….
Divvy up….what was ‘accidental’ :p
I had poured a shot of vodka in my glass, then answered the phone. I came back and poured the bottle of Gatorade in the glass. I remembered I had poured the vodka, but said "screw it", not wanting to waste good booze.
 
Not sure why a glass was needed for either one?
Not really a fan of warm Gatorade, and a glass is better for holding ice cubes. Things are still reaching their equilibrium here, and running out of orange juice at the same time I discovered I didn't have any Gatorade in the fridge are the way things have been going around here. Chaos and confusion...
Hence, my "screw it" comment.
 


Heinrich manoeuvre, you need to learn this….actually YOUR wife needs to learn this (too)
Quick hint bend forward and let her slap you hard on the back, is better than nothing but not much
If you out weigh you wife it may be an issue, I am not explaining here in case I word it wrong
But if it was a baby or a child you can lift them and drop the head, so perhaps if by your self head for a soft piece of furniture, bed of arm chair arm lean over drop head, and thump yourself just below the rib cage, or if you know where the lump is just below that, try not to break any ribs!
Go research Heinrich manoeuvre …..and for our peace and calm thoughts
Stop eating really dry bread product! Peanut butter or no, and you needed a WARM drink which of course takes time and preferably a third person to go sort…..a warm drink will shift residue.

Slaps forehead (yours or mine :p for different reasons….grins….glad your ok….you suicidal nutter!)


I hate spellchecker Heimlich

Another edit….on a child or worse a baby……do not do too strongly you can break their ribs!!!
Yeah we know the Heimlich maneuver. I had it cleared before she could try it on me. Until I tried to drink the water it wasn’t full on choking. I could still talk roughly and breathe (though a bit labored). When I tried to drink is when it became choking and I stayed to cough and heave instinctively which cleared it as she came running over.

She’s a registered nurse. It’s part of their training.

It is a good reminder though. Thanks.

Funny story about the Heimlich maneuver. When I was a missionary in Germany in 86 we were organized into “districts”. A district was 6 or 8 missionaries that were grouped together. We had a weekly meeting to go over stuff. The “district leader” had gotten a flyer from the mission office asking to review the Heimlich Maneuver with us. He asked his companion to pretend to start choking during the meeting and he’d get up and simulate it in him. It sure did get our attention since we didn’t know it was coming or was simulated when it happened. He then reviewed it with us after the demonstration.
 
Really? I don't use it. If I make a mistake the browser underlines the word with a red squiggled line and allows me to check to see if there is an alternative spelling. It happens with a lot of German words because it doesn't know any better.

That auto-correct is about as bad as it anticipating your next words or phrases. I have that turned off too.
 
Really? I don't use it. If I make a mistake the browser underlines the word with a red squiggled line and allows me to check to see if there is an alternative spelling. It happens with a lot of German words because it doesn't know any better.

That auto-correct is about as bad as it anticipating your next words or phrases. I have that turned off too.
71108001_0.jpg
 
Not really a fan of warm Gatorade, and a glass is better for holding ice cubes. Things are still reaching their equilibrium here, and running out of orange juice at the same time I discovered I didn't have any Gatorade in the fridge are the way things have been going around here. Chaos and confusion...
Hence, my "screw it" comment.
I thought the ‘screw’ was a clever cocktail reference
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top