Running Bear's Coffee Shop LX

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
OH, JOY - It's Over for another year .. If I sound a little like the Grinch, it;s probably because I feel that way!
Honest -- to much happened to even start to tell - I did not even go out to the MIL's home, and, thank the gods above that I did not. Wife came home in tears. Dinner was planned for 3pm (didn't happen until 6:30pm) - wife wound up almost by herself trying to get it all together. BIL's son was bailed out of jail - either drugs, or alcohol - so his wife (who usually slaves with my wife) was in tears most of the afternoon. They have two kids who are in and out of jail, or treatment most of time. So far, My daughter seems to have walked the narrow white line. I think that she really, really came very close to losing her $96K job and I think that it may have awakened her .. I sincerely pray that she stays "clean".

Enough -- 56 degrees and mostly clear.
 
Spent most of the morning just resting after three days of Christmas and family. Entertaining took its toll on me and I'm exhausted.

All in all a nice Holliday weekend.

Weather warmed up to the low 50's so maybe the sump pump discharge pipe has thawed out and the rear outdoor hose bib is open as well. Have to find out.

Greg
 


3950371848b6439a2712fae39e8068ab.jpg


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
 
Afternoon All,

We had a nice Christmas at daughter's house. I received a Pennsy coffee mug (I broke my last one), a Pennsy travel mug, a bunch of SPST switches, 6 Details West large battery boxes to go with my signals I made, along with some other items. We use most of our funds for the kids and grand kids.

CA Dave- Thanks for the suggestion. I will take a look at that. I talked to Phil on Christmas Eve. He is doing well and much better than earlier in the year.

Ken- I hope you are feeling better.

Eric- Sorry you were alone for Christmas

NG- Congrats on the MRR haul. I look forward to seeing your progress.

2869ral- Nice loco and cars.

VA Ken- Nice looking loco.

Sherrel- Sorry to hear about your family's Christmas. We have some of those same issues here.

I hope everyone has a good night.
 
Afternoon gents.
I woke up like an hour and a half ago. I thought it was still kind of early - 7'ish or so.
Must have dozed back off a few times - nothing new about that!
Looks like it's been raining all morning.
Doesn't seem to be doing anything now though.

I got to going through the last couple of page here last night and did some internet window shopping.
Spent less than $50 so no one (i.e. the folks) should bitch too much.

Edit: visiting nurse will be here in a few hours so I guess I'll go nap out for a while.
E.
 
Sherrel- I received your message. I don't know why my phone never rang and I don't have any unknown calls in my history. I will take care of it.
 
Wow, crickets.
Every one must have had one heck of a holiday. Me, some pictures of dead Presidents which I'm sure will be of use at the LHS, some clothes and 1 object d'art that will be hung tomorrow.

20161226_193645.jpg

It meant more than all the other stuff combined.
 
Here's something for a spare 41 minutes. Mainline Steam NZ'eds 2014 winter excursion from Christchurch (Sth Island) to Arthur's Pass in the Southern Alps and back, behind restored NZGR Ka class #942 in it's original "streamlined" appearance. Love that whistle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrLzhPbbtiY

Interesting to me, as I rode in them as a child, are the coaches and how they are still in use, although much modified. Here is what they looked liked during WW2.
Gov12_12Rail015c1_zpsas550uce.png
 


21 degrees in my neck of the woods.

I'm going to wait until feb or so to start the rebuild, can't get the required amount of track (300 feet) until then. I'll need a hundred just for my spur yard and another loop (#6) will eat up the rest.


What happened to the "Blog" option in the menu? I was going to try it but was quite unsure as to what a blog actually is. Now I know and my chance to "scream into the void" has passed. Just as well I suppose.
 
Good morning fellers. So now that Christmas is behind us and all and vacation is over. I made a note of something yesterday that I had shared with the old lady. I didn't run my trains much at all on vacation. Maybe the first weekend and that was it. So I ran some ops last night for an hour. Which funny as it seems is exactly how long it takes me to shove empties to the loadout and bring loads out and make up and switch a train around. I have been trying to get one of my SD40s dialed in with no luck at all. It hates my 18" curves. It bogs down hard. When I mean hard it comes to a complete stop and hums at me. I'm a firm believer that you can polish a turd but at the end of the day it's still a turd. So all things said they are back in the box and the board that I have will go into the GP9 when it gets here. I was able to score some miniatronics bulbs for my blue box locomotives that I want to add lighting to. The GP9 will get a set and hopefully they work just as good. Now off of the trains and on to something else. I had something happen to me that has never happened before. It lets me know just how crazy the holidays can get. I encountered a road rage person this past Thursday. One of which actually tried to run me off the road. This has never happened before but it was a sure bet I stayed at the house after that. This feller actually struck my vehicle and kept on going. Ofcourse 911 was involved and I followed him. Nobody was arrested but he was sighted as at fault so good news there. It was a hairy situation. One of which I soon won't forget. Just lets you know how some people take the stress of the holidays. And last but not least. Saturday saw my Bronco go down as well. As my upper radiator hose fell off. So I had known that my coolant looked like swamp water and I was going to do a flush. Guess the old Bronco thought I was moving too slow on it and did it itself. So my weekend is planned before it even gets here. I'll be doing upper and lower hoses and a thermostat on it. My old lady calls my love for Broncos another hobby of mine. I spend just as much on my broncos as I do on trains. Spend just about as much time with them too. But put in the work and fix everything that's wrong and they run like a new ride. Well I think I'm going to step down off the soapbox for now. Gotta get myself into gear for my short week here. It's back to work for me today.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk
 
Justin, I think you got a Genesis GP9. If you did, they already come with bulbs in all the appropriate places.
Your road rage encounter is one reason I have dashcams in both vehicles.
 
Justin, I think you got a Genesis GP9. If you did, they already come with bulbs in all the appropriate places.
Your road rage encounter is one reason I have dashcams in both vehicles.
Shoot mine are getting them now. Well maybe not my Bronco. She's a tank. Hurt them more than me. I had another instance of this happen when I was a young Private First Class in my first bronco when someone changed lanes on me. Destroyed their car and nothing for me. Dashcams are coming for me though.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk
 
Good Morning All. 40° and partly cloudy today. One more family holiday event left for the season today. Meeting my BIL and his new wife for lunch, as they were unable to attend the family Christmas get-together. It will be interesting to see who he snagged this time, as he is 70 YO (still looks and acts 50!). Still works every day as an estimator at a major dealer auto-body repair shop.
I did finally get to spend a little time in the train shed yesterday. Even though it is all temporary for now, I ran a few trains into and out of the newest staging yard. As suspected, the tracks are a bit too short for my average trains, but I won't be making the trip to the LHS for the #4 turnouts until later this week. I may also shorten the planned workbench by 11" and extend the staging yard into that void.

Sherrel - How's the recovery going?
Greg - I know exactly how you feel. Today is the fourth and final event in six days for me!

Everybody have an awesome day.

Willie
 
Good morning fellers. So now that Christmas is behind us and all and vacation is over. I made a note of something yesterday that I had shared with the old lady. I didn't run my trains much at all on vacation. Maybe the first weekend and that was it. So I ran some ops last night for an hour. Which funny as it seems is exactly how long it takes me to shove empties to the loadout and bring loads out and make up and switch a train around. I have been trying to get one of my SD40s dialed in with no luck at all. It hates my 18" curves. It bogs down hard. When I mean hard it comes to a complete stop and hums at me. I'm a firm believer that you can polish a turd but at the end of the day it's still a turd. So all things said they are back in the box and the board that I have will go into the GP9 when it gets here. I was able to score some miniatronics bulbs for my blue box locomotives that I want to add lighting to. The GP9 will get a set and hopefully they work just as good. Now off of the trains and on to something else. I had something happen to me that has never happened before. It lets me know just how crazy the holidays can get. I encountered a road rage person this past Thursday. One of which actually tried to run me off the road. This has never happened before but it was a sure bet I stayed at the house after that. This feller actually struck my vehicle and kept on going. Ofcourse 911 was involved and I followed him. Nobody was arrested but he was sighted as at fault so good news there. It was a hairy situation. One of which I soon won't forget. Just lets you know how some people take the stress of the holidays. And last but not least. Saturday saw my Bronco go down as well. As my upper radiator hose fell off. So I had known that my coolant looked like swamp water and I was going to do a flush. Guess the old Bronco thought I was moving too slow on it and did it itself. So my weekend is planned before it even gets here. I'll be doing upper and lower hoses and a thermostat on it. My old lady calls my love for Broncos another hobby of mine. I spend just as much on my broncos as I do on trains. Spend just about as much time with them too. But put in the work and fix everything that's wrong and they run like a new ride. Well I think I'm going to step down off the soapbox for now. Gotta get myself into gear for my short week here. It's back to work for me today.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

SD40's? "Freezing" on an 18" curve? Does not sound right, check the gage of the track at that spot, might be tight there. Could be truck travel is at it's very limit there, maybe trimming the hole in the bottom where the truck goes might give you the extra mil you need to get around there smoothly, the truck may be being prevented from it's full range of travel by body details or something inside not in the right place.
My modified DD40 takes 15" and so does my UNmodified SD45, SD70, BLI 2-8-2, my Bachman "F" unit, the Baldwin Shark, everybody takes the 15"'s like champs! Rolling stock, not so much, without modification, like the truck boxes stick WAY out on these 50 foot Atlas boxcars and they bind on the 18" curves and jump right off on the 15"'s!
 
SD40's? "Freezing" on an 18" curve? Does not sound right, check the gage of the track at that spot, might be tight there. Could be truck travel is at it's very limit there, maybe trimming the hole in the bottom where the truck goes might give you the extra mil you need to get around there smoothly, the truck may be being prevented from it's full range of travel by body details or something inside not in the right place.
My modified DD40 takes 15" and so does my UNmodified SD45, SD70, BLI 2-8-2, my Bachman "F" unit, the Baldwin Shark, everybody takes the 15"'s like champs! Rolling stock, not so much, without modification, like the truck boxes stick WAY out on these 50 foot Atlas boxcars and they bind on the 18" curves and jump right off on the 15"'s!
My SD7 goes perfectly through there. You may be on to something. Thank you for this idea. I'll give it another look and see what happens. I do have a Dummy SD40 that goes through it fine as well when lashed together with another unit. Maybe I could switch my frames around and see it that helps any at all. But I'll check my clearances on it.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk
 
Good morning. I'll take a cup of black coffee with a sweet roll. 16 degrees to start off the day.

Yesterday was a day I would have liked to pass on. we had about a foot of white Christmas parked in the driveway. I was, and still am sick as a dog, but it had to be removed. Started off at 5 above and when it finally got up into the teens, I bundled up and went to work. Threw two tire chains and after some colorful words, got them back on and managed to complete the plowing. Spent the rest of the day in the recliner and had a couple of shots of Jack Black. Yes Willie, A toddy was on the menu.

It seemed pretty quiet on the forum yesterday as I do have it on Tap Talk on the phone.

Sherrel -
Don't think you are a grinch. I feel the same way. I am glad that Christmas is over also. We didn't have a lot of drama but now we anly have to get past New Year, and get beck t normal, what ever that is.

Toot - did enjoy your video. Always like to wee steam in motion. Quite the locomotive.

Still feel like crap today.

Catch you guys later.
 


Good morning. 56*F and wet in central MD.

Today will be my first opportunity in a while to spend some quality time on the hobby, since LHS was closed yesterday and I was decompressing from the past 3 days. I have a pair of LifeLike Proto2000 E8A's that I need to modify the headlights in, plus install a decoder in one of them.

Sherrell - sorry your wife had to have such an unpleasant Christmas! Good thing you weren't at your MIL's to experience the insanity firsthand. Hope your recovery is progressing.

Can't stay here too long, gotta make my getaway before MOH sends me on another errand. L8TR!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top