Running Bear's Coffee Shop LX

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Justin - Really shouldn't have issues with SD40-2's on 18" curves. Check the wheel gauge. An old trick that I learned 30 or so years ago, was to gauge the center axle on three axle trucks a little bit on the narrow side, while the outer axles are on the wide tolerance, but still within gauge.

Willie
 
Morning Everyone!
It's a beautiful day, a little cool,
Whoops !! Daughter just delivered a breakfast in front of me on a tray that is "fit for a king".
Back later, Cheers
 
Afternoon All,

Spent 4 hours putting Christmas things away for another year. Only thing left to do is take it all up to the attic which I need my son's help for. I ordered a couple of things on Ebay last night (soldering iron tips, 2 scale air horns, and a Tichy flat car kit). I need the tips to be able to put in the SPST switches so that's on hold till they come in. Tomorrow I think I am helping MOH make the Schnitzel for New Years.

Karl- That's a neat picture.

Toot- Great videos. I find it interesting how locos look different around the world. I may be wrong but the whistle reminded me of the SP.

Justin- Glad you're safe after your experience. Generally people are idiots, and I frequently wonder how humanity has survived as long as it has.

Willie- Happy Birthday to your BIL.

Chet- I hope you feel better.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Sherrel- I hope it was a nice breakfast.
 


Thanks for the comments on the NZR videos. A very early decision by the NZ govt was that US type locos were best suited to the conditions prevailing topography wise. The boxy streamlining didn't last long in service and it's quite amazing they managed to find some to fit onto #942. The models appearance of the class in the other vid was representative of their normal appearance. All the "K, Ka, Kb" of the class were built in NZ from 1932 -1940, the Kb's (6) being built specifically for that Midland Line shown in the video. The last operating one, #968 (965-970 in the class) was saved at the last minute by a school teacher, who scraped up enough for it's scrap value from donations to save it. It was on display for many years but is now in the hands of "Mainline Steam", being also rebuilt.

The much smaller size than their US "cousins" soon becomes apparent when a crew member is foolish enough to appear in the doorway to the footplate, or stick their head out a cab side window :rolleyes:
 
Good afternoon gents!

Using my final vacation day for the year today. Had to get up early, the plummer was here at 9 to install the new water heater, after which I played with my new favorite toy, the AnyRail software. I quickly used up the 50 "free" pieces of track, so i had to spring for the full version. It's O.K. though, because I can do more than I could with Atlas or SCARM track planning software. I find it more logical, almost intuitive to use. After lunch, SWMBO and I went to the LHS and then to the Mall. Crowded it was I tell you. She did her shopping, I went to a vacant shop where my former club was set up for the holiday. I walked it asking if this was the adult day-care. The crewmembers laughed and said I was in the right place! I hung out there for about 2 hours til SWMBO came to collect me, talking to old friends and watching little ones watching the trains!I tell you, every mall ought to have one!:cool:
Ooops, dinner bell is ringing,,,,be back later!
 
Eric-your stuff is on the way. Postoffice said probably on the 3rd. Hope you enjoy!

Thanks. Is that what the pic of a shipping receipt with tracking number I got on my iPhone was about? I assumed so but haven't looked up the number yet.

Aside from that today I got a package from UPS from someone who said they got my address from you on Facebook. It was 8 kits of buildings. No glue or paints or anything else so I'll wait to see what else comes before I go shopping. The folks tell me there is a HobbyLobby nearby. If you call Decatur nearby. I don't know of anything else in these parts other than going online.
For some reason mom & dad always have some smart-a$$ thing to say about me ordering stuff online. If it wasn't for that I have to listen to it, I'd have stuff drop-shipped to my brother's place. I can't help it if this little town doesn't have squat to buy things or they still want to exist in the 21th century.

Anyway, I have the pic on my phone and I'll post it after if I scrape it off there.
Thanks again Ron!!
I look forward to getting the stuff.
I don't have a clue who the feller was that sent me the stuff today but pass on a thank you from me if you would.
He didn't give a name or anything.
E.
 
Eric-Kalman Stevens is the guy that sent them buildings to you. I left him a message thanking him from you and me. My package has some glue in it, some paint and thinner, and brushes. Yes that receipt is the tracking number.
 
Eric-Kalman Stevens is the guy that sent them buildings to you. I left him a message thanking him from you and me. My package has some glue in it, some paint and thinner, and brushes. Yes that receipt is the tracking number.

I can't thank you enough. Really.
Actually, I saw his name on the return address after I posted earlier.
Should have seen the look on my folks' face when I said I had gotten this package from someone who I had no clue who it was.
Anyway, once we passed that Dad was wanting to take me to the Hobby Lobby for glue and paints and such. As much as I wanted to go, I held back saying to wait until another package shows up that may have some glues and paints and stuff and I didn't want to buy something only to have it duplicated a few days later.

Looks like a couple of these kits are "no glue required". I may put one together tonight just for kicks.
Also looks like these are kind of old. I wonder if he didn't get them as a bulk purchase at a LHS or some kind of big sale. Seems like everything is there even if the boxes aren't, the parts and instructions are in bags.

Of course now I'm really dieing to have my stuff here. Especially the airbrush and compressor since they aren't cheaply replaceable. At least not like paints, brushes and a couple of xacto knives.
Have a good one.
I have chemo tomorrow so you all may not hear from me until late in the day.
Suppose to be a short session anyway so I should be ok.
E.
 
Here is a pic of the stuff I got from Ron's friend Kal.

d4fc5f40d6d2a1e44c3b93ad84bfd99d.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 


Howdy ....

We returned from our trip...... We drove 300 miles to near Cincinnati where our son and his family live..... Then another 300 miles to our daughter's home north of Detroit.... Next, it was 175 miles to oldest daughter's home near Grand Rapids, MI.... Finally, it was about 600 miles from Grand Rapids to home.... Next month, we plan to see youngest daughter who lives in Arizona.

I'll catch up with all of your posts later.
 
Sherrell - looks like you're getting the "royal" treatment, enjoy it while you can!

Willie - hope I'll be as active as your BIL when I reach his age!

Toot - enjoyed the KA 942 video. If I didn't know better, I'd have thought that centercab switcher at the beginning of the video had an EMD prime mover in it.

Chet - hope you recover quickly from whatever it is that you've got!

Curt - Our Christmas stuff stays out until the first weekend after New Year's. There'd be a lot of squawkin' if I tried putting any of it away before then...:rolleyes:

Ron - Kudos to you and your friend for sending Eric those kits!:cool:

Karl - I see you spent some time with the Four-County guys at their holiday setup. I opted out this year because of health and schedule issues.

* * *

As I hinted in my earlier post, I spent most of the day refurbishing a mothballed Proto2000 E8A loco. Checked it for functionality on regular DC, cleaned the wheels, drove out to the LHS to get a decoder. After soldering-on the wires for the motor and wheel pickup brushes, I went to test it out as #3; it moved ~2 inches then stopped dead. No amount of nudging could get it going again. I tried running it in reverse, and got the same result - a few inches of movement then nothing. I tested the unit on the programming track and all the readings were normal.

After an hour's worth of trial-and-error testing, I caught a glimpse of a cockeyed gear in the rear truck drive tower. When I took it apart, this is what I found:

LL_P2K_E8_broken_gear.jpg


One of the pivot studs on the gear that links the worm gear with the axel gears is broken off.

At this point I don't know if it's even worth continuing with this unit. Since it is an original LifeLike model, I seriously doubt Walthers could provide me with a replacement. I may start a separate thread and see if anybody has one of these gears in their scrap box that I can use. Ebay has several P2K E8's in the $50-60 price range but it seems wasteful to buy a working model just to cannibalize it...*sigh*
 
Talk about a small world!!!! Regarding the middle item in the top row that has the instructions covering up the contents of the bag: I have that exact same item already on my layout. I never knew what the building was until now. It's a jail!!!
I even have a picture on my website's pics under "The Layout" then "Scenery". It's red and gray 2 story building.
E.
 
Someone mentioned crickets earlier.
I wouldn't mind just hearing some of those once in a while to be sure I really ain't dead! :eek:
Or maybe I should use this one instead: :cool:
I'm just super-top-secret!
Yeah that's the ticket.

Catch you tomorrow evening.
E.
 
27 degrees and I'm pretty much done with winter, it can go away now. I really really NEED this month to be over, I have THINGS that require action that cannot occur until the end of the month.

You sound stronger every post E, most excellent!

CBQ, as a lifelong resident of this wonderful state, I apologize for the condition of the endless PATCH that we try to pass off as a road nowadays. We have corruption issues that need to be addressed and taken care of where the roads are concerned.
 
Good Morning Everyone. A pleasant 58° and mostly cloudy. Supposed to be near 80° today after 69° yesterday. Average high temperature for this time of year is supposed to be in the mid-50's...record high set in 1999 was only 70° which it appears that we will reset today!
Due to the ongoing flurry of family holiday activity, I only spent a little time in the train shed yesterday. Rotated a few more freight cars onto the layout and made minor repairs/adjustments to those that needed them...exchanged those dreaded McHenry couplers out for Kadee #148's on three cars.

Bruce - I know what you mean about track. I've gone through 110' in the last week or so. And I ain't done yet. That and 11 turnouts! Heck, I'm not out of track stock yet, but I have run out of ground throws and #4 RH switches.
Eric - Looks like quite a haul there. Ron and his friend have certainly lived up to the spirit of Christmas to the max.
Chet - Damn, get well soon.
Garry - Sounds like a fun-filled trip. Glad that it was a safe one.
Ken in Md - Yeah! BIL is as spry as a youngster. He's still up and down looking under those cars for damage...he gets back up off the floor a lot quicker than I do!!! I agree with Karl that the gear is an easy fix as he described. I believe also that those gears are identical to Athearn blue-box gears.
Sherrel - Breakfast apparently came before you were able to update us on your recovery. How's it going?

OK, it looks like an active day outdoors unless it gets too hot. Gonna have to dig out the shorts again, although they never get too deep around here...last worn Christmas day!!!
Everybody have a great day.

Willie
 


Ken in M,
enjoyed the KA 942 video. If I didn't know better, I'd have thought that centercab switcher at the beginning of the video had an EMD prime mover in it.

Did some digging on that switcher. It was 1 of 70 built, Class DSC 400 between 1959-67. The first group of 18 were supplied by British Thomson-Houston. Followed by 52 built in NZ at workshops in both Islands between 63-67, for a total of 70. 34 are still in service. The one in the video is #2693 built 1966 (formerly #463, renumbered c 1978) , at the south Island Hillside workshops (near Dunedin), the same place as Ka 942.

The NZR built, such as #2693 were re-engined with 2 Cummins NT855's of about 300hp each in the '80's. 30 of the 70 still serve on KiwiRail.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top