New HO scale layout

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


OK so I'm uncovering issues with my pass through yard. It is extremely limiting in the amount of cars I can drop off and pick up on it. I may have to do the Virginian yard layout to achieve what I want out of it. Though that concept does not fit the bill for typical southern West Virginian C&O yards as they were and are still pass through yards. I didn't really want to stray away from a C&O look to my railroad but it seems that I may just have to bite the bullet on this one.
956f357f1f2e65ee3c54d9020b9fadcb.jpg
 
Well, let's think this through. The three visible tracks come out to two yard tracks and a thoroughfare. This could mean a track for empties and one for loads. It looks like each yard track will hold 4 3-bay hoppers. How many hoppers will your mine hold?
 
Looks good... might not be as much room as you would like but I think that is what a lot of us struggle with.
 


The thoroughfare is my mainline. I have this set up to be like meadow creek wv. Come off the branch drop and pick up. I have two loadouts. I can do two hoppers each under a twin loader load out and three per loader on my triple bay load out. I have already accepted that maybe my layout ideas are bigger than my layout. From looking at it I can switch one load out at a time. Though I may gain more space with just a simple yard rather than a pass through.
 
Why not add just one single-ended yard track to the left of the existing yard? Seems like that would accommodate all your space needs without tearing anything up too drastically.
 
I don't think it will be too drastic as I would only have to cough up the left line and I can put in three right hand turnouts and gain or rather build a six spur yard that I can work with.
 
But then wouldn't that be overkill? You'd lose a lot of scenery area, but you wouldn't need that much trackage.
 
As my layout is going to be built around much of what southern West Virginia is...that is a lot of low lying mountains. I don't think I will lose that much for building a yard but then again I could be wrong.
 


I guess that makes sense. All things considered I have been running them without too much of an issue. I'm going to swap out my sd7 for a uboat or my gp38 to cut down on my locomotive length.
 
I've decided I'm going to build a yard to see how my operations will go. I've built my pass through yard twice already so bringing it back won't be an issue. With my payday around the corner I'd love to get my layout concrete and establish my upper mine so I can start my landscaping soon.
 
Sounds like you have a plan and are ready to move on. Hope things work out. When you start getting some scenery in, this will spur you on. Nothing like seeing plywood disappear and scenery going in.

I will be watching.
 
It has been some time since I last posted. I have finally gotten my risers today. Been switching jobs so I have been at a stand still until today. So back up and running on all cylinders. I'll post more real soon and possibly some actual scenery getting started.
 
Well I ended up buying the 4% incline set. It's a little more steep than I pictured in my mind. I'm thankful to still have my P2K SD7. It'll probably be the only engine in my fleet that can pull that grade. At least I hope so anyways.
 
4% seems little steep. I have an SD40-2 all wheel drive that could probably handle it.
Still can't wait for my SD70ACe to come along.
The claim is it will handle my 18" radii else I wouldn't have ordered it.
The DDA40X certainly cannot. Still looks cool just sitting on a spur though.
E.
 
You should have enough length on the branchline use the 3% or maybe even 2% grade. I used a 6% grade to get a branchline over the mainline and the most cars I can get up the hill is three.
 


You should have enough length on the branchline use the 3% or maybe even 2% grade. I used a 6% grade to get a branchline over the mainline and the most cars I can get up the hill is three.
That's my worry now is that 4% may be too steep. I debated with myself on going with 4% or 2%....seeing how long the actual 4% grade is I could have pulled off the 2% grade. Retrospect here I wish I had listened to my gut and bought the 2% grade.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top