New HO scale layout

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.




In this specific situation it would be laughable although I am sure someone has done it before. They didn't usually use helpers on branchlines. Not to get only 5 cars up the hill.
 
But...on that note now that I'm thinking of it. One of the rules of building ones railroad is that it is your world and anything is possible and as long as you are happy with it then everyone else's opinions don't matter.
 
But...on that note now that I'm thinking of it. One of the rules of building ones railroad is that it is your world and anything is possible and as long as you are happy with it then everyone else's opinions don't matter.

AND THAT IS ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!!
When my new-found buddy Carey (aka cjcrescent) first contact via PM to offer to come to help, I was shocked. #1 we were total strangers; #2 it's a 3 hours drive for him. He didn't care.
At that point, all I had down was roadbed, track, turnouts and DCC all wired up - plus I painted table white so I see loose track spikes and such.
He shows up one Sat. around noon or 1. I figured we might chat a bit - nope "let's go see some trains!! Upstairs we went with his box of tools in hand. We come into the train room and I'm kind of "pooh - poohing" what I've done so far. It has, after all, been decades since I've done this stuff. He just stopped me in mid-sentence and looked me square in the eyes "Hey! Shut up. Do you like it? I do mean do YOU like it?"
Kind of caught me off guard really. I stammered a little .. "well yeah, being I've worked on this thing for only a couple months.. yeah I like it." I can't quote his exact words lest I get spanked for foul language but the jest of it was "then who gives a [f....] what me or anyone else thinks. [....] them if they don't like it. This is YOUR train!"
My kind of guy right there!
That's said it all for me.
So there you go "chess" - you got them words [2nd hand granted] from an NMRA life member and modeler with over 50 years experience. He will offer no opinion unless you pry it out of him - trust me.
I'll have to pat myself on the back when he looked up under table and saw all the wiring I did. I even converted to DCC as well.
All those old engines I got from my little were, well say, old and raggedy. I thought me the perfect time to convert - so I did. There went some more IRA money right quick!
I'm rambling now.....
Catch you later.
 
I think just about anything would work.
Hob-E-Tac, bathroom adhesive caulking, hot glue.
E.
 
Well to permanently place it I got down. I'm having issues actually getting it to stay in one spot at the moment. I have the nails for it. Perhaps give them some taps with a hammer?
 


Haven't posted in awhile. I'm still on laying my track. I came up with an idea to make my coal yard on one side in the turn rather than in one of my straight sections....I have come upon an issue with my turns. Any ideas on how to correct this?


4613baacf22e50aa3b02a19d2fcef759.jpg
 
Haven't posted in awhile. I'm still on laying my track. I came up with an idea to make my coal yard on one side in the turn rather than in one of my straight sections....I have come upon an issue with my turns. Any ideas on how to correct this?


4613baacf22e50aa3b02a19d2fcef759.jpg

I can only say what others might - flex track. Dump the sectional. Been there and done that. ( but didn't get a t-shirt)
Are these all the same radii?
At least you haven't put down road bed and ballast. I'm kind of f....d at my point. My money runs thin now.
E
 
Looks like you have it figures out. Looking good.

After being inroduced to flex track back in the 70's when I was building a small N scale layout, I naver used sectional track again. It's nice not being locked into a set radius.

................... Chet
 
Oh I agree. I would love to have done flex track on my layout if I wasn't so strapped for money. I used all of my previous track on this layout.
 
The money thing does make a difference. I know the feeling. Thankfully, with the kids moved out and not having to raise a family, my money situation has changed. When I started my layout, I ended up handlaying track and turnouts because it was so much less expensive.

Recently, when I laid the track for the last part of my layout, a yard and engine facility, I did use flextrack, Shinohara code 70 and I will admit that it wasn't cheap. I find that especially when working on an area such as a yard, using flextrack, or pieces of flex track sure makes things so much easier than trying to deal with sectional track.

When foraging around in the train room a while back, I found some code 83 flex track I had left over from my hissen staging tracks. If it weren't so expensive to ship, I would send it to you.

Keep the pictures coming. i really enjoy watching a layout come together.

..................................................... Chet
 


Ok sooooo.....any ideas on how to make a level place for my mine? I'm not overly thrilled about having it on top of my yard but I'll deal with it.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top