New HO scale layout

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


chessie_system3

Well-Known Member
For those who haven't seen my layout build yet. I'm building an 8x4 layout that I have started construction on. Here are some pics:
6b9ecfe9914ea74a8e67f53098211546.jpg

f1f00eae4007b5d555f7b3dead50aaa9.jpg

8e8b9665f09a151e65fc09506c06bab0.jpg
 
It is nice to see your progress on the layout, I think laying the track is one of the funnest parts.

There are tons of 4 x 8 layouts to look at but I found a picture of my old one and I used it for 3 years than took the buildings off it and sold the base and track and was able to get a bigger space to use.

My track work was flat and a little more up and down might have been nice. There was one big hill behind the church and that was a good idea to break up the sight.

I had the big sawmill and some of the other buildings were kind of big so that limited what was left. I wanted the sawmill and the logging so I would have some operations. There were a couple sidings and two spurs. It went in the middle of the room.

I look forward to seeing how yours progresses!


original layout.jpg
 


OK so I have completed track laying a somewhat OK track plan. I've set it up for two mines. Lower mine which is on the left and upper mine which will be elevated in the center. Tell me what you think.
d871044a4c75c30b19df54ace549e70d.jpg

Now upper mine will be over the main running through the tunnel. So it will extend to the edge. Which I can use as expansion later down the road as well.
 
Looking like you're making progress. More than I can say right now. Keep the pics coming.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
OK so I have completed track laying a somewhat OK track plan. I've set it up for two mines. Lower mine which is on the left and upper mine which will be elevated in the center. Tell me what you think.
.

I think it is looking good, there is a passing siding which will come in handy also the inside partial loop gives you more space to run.
 
Looks great, it has the feel of a main track and a separate branch line!
One suggestion, a small siding at the upper mine would allow the loco to get around the cars it brought up.
 


I had thought on that as well. I had removed those turnouts simply because I have no staging yard to build or store my trains if needed. The main could come in and drop or pickup my hoppers but the size of my siding is so small I can't fit anything of significance in it. I'm working on a track plan of maybe a point to point short line that will serve two mines and have the yard I need.
 
OK here is track plan #2. I revamped my design. I'm short some straight sections which I'll get some more when I go to the hobby shop again. This is what I came up with:
a8958f225a7feebaccdbafa762965f9b.jpg
 
I think this is an improvement with the added turnout and track. It gives you a lot more flexibility. Good idea.
 
It gives me a longer siding to work with. At the expense of losing my straight sections but it comes out for the better at least to me anyways.
 
I can put 6 cars on the outside if I want to change the mainline to run on the center track. So I can gain a car or stay with 5. It will mean though however that I won't be able to run decent length trains.
 
Just keep experimenting. Lay tracks on top of each other and all kinds of things to get an idea.
I went through 5, maybe 6, iterations before I stuck with my current thing.
Hope you are scronny guy like me because you ain't gonna fit around them walls. Even then, I wouldn't.
29" waist 32" long at 5'8" and around 130lbs soaking wet.
E.
 


Just keep experimenting. Lay tracks on top of each other and all kinds of things to get an idea.
I went through 5, maybe 6, iterations before I stuck with my current thing.
Hope you are scronny guy like me because you ain't gonna fit around them walls. Even then, I wouldn't.
29" waist 32" long at 5'8" and around 130lbs soaking wet.
E.
I don't have any issues with getting around my layout. The height of it allows me to reach where I want to. Great thing here is that it is low while standing eyesight when sitting.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top