New HO scale layout

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Interesting. He mentioned cutting off both ends of the turnouts. That could buy you 2" on each.
I would love to help you out with this project.
Are you going to run your turnouts remotely? The video shows no solenoids except to show the one as they come out of the package.
E.
I'm using caboose sprung throws for every switch I can get to and using under the table machines for the ones I can't access.
 
Its all good BigE. Here is what I'm using for my throws:
7ee2527b59fbc790cfdb26feb1bdeabf.jpg
with some modifications to my switch bar and the throw it works out pretty well and it does away with the eyesore atlas switch machines.
 


Looks nice! I had no idea what that was. "space eater" I figured went to the solenoids.
And... they can be made "remoteable"?
Now you have me thinking to redo all my stuff. A little late for that now.
 
I was keeping the atlas machines on and laying them on my last two layouts. This is the first layout where I'm doing away with them. Trying to get a neater appearance to my layout.
 
I was keeping the atlas machines on and laying them on my last two layouts. This is the first layout where I'm doing away with them. Trying to get a neater appearance to my layout.

This reminds me of an article I read back in my teenage days about how to take those solenoid machines and put them under the table to turn the throws. That had to be 40 years ago at least. I thought how cool that was to get that unrealistic stuff out of sight but still be functional.
I haven't done a layout from scratch in at least that long so I am sort of a newbie on this.
E
 
What's wrong with this type of switch machine?

I only have a few motorized turnouts and most are this type of control. That was about all that was available when I started my layout. They still work just find. Control them the old fashion way too, with a hot probe. I have brass screws through the track diagram on the control panel for this particular part of the layout. When I wast to change the position of a turnout, I just tap the screw head for the corresponding turnout and the solenoid does its thing.
 
I fell way behind on the hobby when I joined the army. Before I joined I was railroading for a little of nothing. Spending around $35 maybe less for a loco that was brand new that was good to me anyways. A few years after I joined I had found that the price for everything had basically went up. New things were on the market. Things I wanted that were the prime things to have before I joined were off the market. So yeah this is definitely an active hobby if you want to stay current.
 
What's wrong with this type of switch machine?

I only have a few motorized turnouts and most are this type of control. That was about all that was available when I started my layout. They still work just find. Control them the old fashion way too, with a hot probe. I have brass screws through the track diagram on the control panel for this particular part of the layout. When I wast to change the position of a turnout, I just tap the screw head for the corresponding turnout and the solenoid does its thing.
Oh I'm not knocking the switch machines. I ran em on two separate layouts and had no issues. I'm just trying something new. This layout for me is a lot of new things for me. I'm coming off of a flat plywood surface. Which normally I'd just paint my base throw down some grass and run a double oval with some switching and watch my trains go in circles
 


I thought how cool that was to get that unrealistic stuff out of sight but still be functional.
Those unrealistic solenoid machines aren't as unrealistic as one would think. Somewhere I have a photograph of a prototype remote turnout machine that looks very similar.
 
Those unrealistic solenoid machines aren't as unrealistic as one would think. Somewhere I have a photograph of a prototype remote turnout machine that looks very similar.
I'd like to see that. It would be very interesting to see. Though I haven't seen any like that on the C&O lines I'm modeling. I have seen the manual switches that look like the caboose ones.
 
What's wrong with this type of switch machine?

I only have a few motorized turnouts and most are this type of control. That was about all that was available when I started my layout. They still work just find. Control them the old fashion way too, with a hot probe. I have brass screws through the track diagram on the control panel for this particular part of the layout. When I wast to change the position of a turnout, I just tap the screw head for the corresponding turnout and the solenoid does its thing.

I made a mistake. The switch machinrs I have mounted under the layout are twin coil machines, not the solenoid units similar the the Atlas machines.
 
So after much hesitation I finally cut one of my turnouts to a shorter length. I took a side by side photo of the short one with the original length turnout.
0577af522462245dec2492a884da81e4.jpg
 
Those unrealistic solenoid machines aren't as unrealistic as one would think. Somewhere I have a photograph of a prototype remote turnout machine that looks very similar.

Here's a shot of a prototype remote switch machine on the CP at Bensenville, IL.

Switch_Machine_Bensenville_2_2_.jpg


If you think about it, those Caboose Industries switchstands are oversize for HO, just about as much as the Atlas switch machines are. They do in fact have details similar to some on the prototype. I think you could get away with painting them (I've never seen anyone paint them), weathering them, putting them in a ballasted area, and adding details like the rails embedded in the dirt you see here. I certainly agree with Iron Horseman on this!
 
Looks like you are off to a start. Sometimes that can be the hardest part. It looks like your plan is about finalized so good luck. Keep the photos and updates coming.
 


It is coming together pretty well. Its not as perfect as I would like it to be and I had to give up some siding space for the end turnouts coming off the branch and mainline.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top