Alcomotive
Grandson of an ALCO Builder
Cool! Im about half an hour north of Saratoga, Lake George/Glens Falls region.
Nice!
I have a family house on the east side of Lake George.
Last edited by a moderator:
Cool! Im about half an hour north of Saratoga, Lake George/Glens Falls region.
I broke all of mine by accident while trying to solder wires to them
What's the secret to soldering to them?
I use a low wattage soldering iron which is 25 Watt. You need to pre tin the wire. This way when you touch the wire to the light is only for a second or less. This makes a very quick connection without melting the contacts or wire itself. It takes some practice for sure.
This is the one I use:
http://www.drillspot.com/products/68603/Weller_WP25_Soldering_Iron
I think it is the same one they use in the Fast Tracks videos, only 25 Watt instead of 35 Watt.
http://www.handlaidtrack.com/Conical-Soldering-Tip-for-the-Weller-35W-Iron-p/st7.htm
And now back to our regularly scheduled program........................
Finished up Mark's HOn30 switcher last night.
They are a bit of a chore to handle and mount that way, so I came up with this to make it a little bit easier.
Models look great Jerome and a great solution with the tape as a handle. This would be a good idea for a lot of the small detail parts. If there is one thing I have learned the hard way it is that "precision tweezers and small detail parts repel each other with great force". And unless you are working is a “Level 4 clean room” you will likely never see that part again.![]()
I think he bought undecorated ones.
You know what i love about the Gensets? They kindve look like Alcos RS series in modern schemes. A blast from the past. However, if one ever smokes like an Alco, Railpower Technologies is probably going to get sued![]()
Well, they're supposed to be low emission, but the prototype is close to zero emissions because they're lemons. If it's smoking like an Alco, chances are, it's on fire.
And, they were made by NRE (National Railway Equipment), not Railpower.
Thanks for clarifying that, wiki lied and told me Railpower made them.
Fire wouldnt be good either
Thanks for clarifying that, wiki lied and told me Railpower made them.
Aint railpower the one that made a battery equipped switcher ?
