Jerome's Switcher Roster

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
I broke all of mine by accident while trying to solder wires to them :D

What's the secret to soldering to them?

I use a low wattage soldering iron which is 25 Watt. You need to pre tin the wire. This way when you touch the wire to the light is only for a second or less. This makes a very quick connection without melting the contacts or wire itself. It takes some practice for sure.:D

This is the one I use:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/68603/Weller_WP25_Soldering_Iron

I think it is the same one they use in the Fast Tracks videos, only 25 Watt instead of 35 Watt.

http://www.handlaidtrack.com/Conical-Soldering-Tip-for-the-Weller-35W-Iron-p/st7.htm
 
And now back to our regularly scheduled program........................

Finished up Mark's HOn30 switcher last night.

100_1041.jpg


100_1040.jpg
 


^nice! I need to start finding some small switchers like this one and 44 or 45 tonners....

Is this a version of a plymoth?
 
I use a low wattage soldering iron which is 25 Watt. You need to pre tin the wire. This way when you touch the wire to the light is only for a second or less. This makes a very quick connection without melting the contacts or wire itself. It takes some practice for sure.:D

This is the one I use:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/68603/Weller_WP25_Soldering_Iron

I think it is the same one they use in the Fast Tracks videos, only 25 Watt instead of 35 Watt.

http://www.handlaidtrack.com/Conical-Soldering-Tip-for-the-Weller-35W-Iron-p/st7.htm

I use a 30 watt and I melted all of them :O So now, I only buy them pre-wired. (it's slightly more expensive but it's less expensive than destroying the LEDs.

I always pre-tin the wires.
 
Some progress made on the 2 Atlas GenSets this week. I decided to try some Railfyer Model coupler bars. These are 3 piece coupler bars. This is what they look like together.

100_1063.jpg


They are a bit of a chore to handle and mount that way, so I came up with this to make it a little bit easier.

100_1064.jpg


After a little trial and error (OK, a lot of error on my part) this is how they look mounted.

100_1065.jpg


And here are the 2 GenSets as they sit tonight.

100_1066.jpg
 
They are a bit of a chore to handle and mount that way, so I came up with this to make it a little bit easier.

Models look great Jerome and a great solution with the tape as a handle. This would be a good idea for a lot of the small detail parts. If there is one thing I have learned the hard way it is that "precision tweezers and small detail parts repel each other with great force". And unless you are working in a “Level 4 clean room” you will likely never see that part again.:D
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Models look great Jerome and a great solution with the tape as a handle. This would be a good idea for a lot of the small detail parts. If there is one thing I have learned the hard way it is that "precision tweezers and small detail parts repel each other with great force". And unless you are working is a “Level 4 clean room” you will likely never see that part again.:D

Amen to that! Compounding the darkness and dustbunnies under the workbench, is the fact my basement is carpeted. Sometimes even with a large flashlight I cant find a lot of the dropped parts.
Of course, all I have to do is go to the workbench barefoot, and I find some!!:eek:
Yes, lift rings can penetrate flesh!!:eek:
 


I think he bought undecorated ones.

You know what i love about the Gensets? They kindve look like Alcos RS series in modern schemes. A blast from the past. However, if one ever smokes like an Alco, Railpower Technologies is probably going to get sued :cool:
 
I think he bought undecorated ones.

You know what i love about the Gensets? They kindve look like Alcos RS series in modern schemes. A blast from the past. However, if one ever smokes like an Alco, Railpower Technologies is probably going to get sued :cool:

Well, they're supposed to be low emission, but the prototype is close to zero emissions because they're lemons. If it's smoking like an Alco, chances are, it's on fire.

And, they were made by NRE (National Railway Equipment), not Railpower.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, they're supposed to be low emission, but the prototype is close to zero emissions because they're lemons. If it's smoking like an Alco, chances are, it's on fire.

And, they were made by NRE (National Railway Equipment), not Railpower.

Fire wouldnt be good either :D

Thanks for clarifying that, wiki lied and told me Railpower made them.
 
Thanks for clarifying that, wiki lied and told me Railpower made them.

Matt my dear boy, let me tell you, Wiki is done by people, people who are not bound by any academic standards and folks who do not verify info before posting it.
Take it with a grain of salt. :rolleyes:
 
Railpower made Gensets too. The Modesto & Empire Traction has a small fleet of the RP ones.

And all but the Brookeville ones are lemons. The Brookeville Gen-set unit (it even looks like a 2nd generation Geep) works great. The rest...jury is still out on one.
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top