Jerome's Switcher Roster

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Alcomotive, I sent you a PM here and tried to send a second with photos but it said you had exceeded your message quota. Check your PM's please ;)
 


Jerome
LED question for ya!
I'm using surface mount LED's from Richmond Controls, and driving them with a NCE D15SR decoder. Your recommendation for a resistor?
I've heard 1K, 470 Ohm, and others. I want them to be bright, but I want them to last too,cuz they were a b**ch to install. Also, do you usually install a resistor for each LED, or just one in the common (blue) wire???
I've got them on about 3 volts DC in the picture below, for test purposes.

I'm leaning toward 1 470 ohm resistor for each LED, like I did for my CSX GP30 slug, but they were different smLED's and that was 2 years ago. My memory aint what is used to be!:eek:
projects%20002resize.JPG
 
Karl, I'll have to send Mark in here to answer those questions. He's my electronics man!!! I don't know dink about wiring them up, that's why I send them to him for his magic.
 
I use 1K ohm for my LED installs, you can also try 680 Ohms. If the LEDs wont flash on your install then one resistor per pair will work. Test different values till you get the result your after but I would keep them above 680 ohms to be safe.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Mark, does 1K ohms affect the brightness of the LEDs? Doing some math, the SM-LEDs should only need ~580 ohms minimum. (and that's rounded up to the next standard resistor)
 
14-15 volts, TCS A6X, stock Atlas SM-LEDs in the Trainman genset. The A6X has pads on it with 1K ohms resistance for LEDs, but I'm wondering if that will affect the brightness.
 
14-15 volts, TCS A6X, stock Atlas SM-LEDs in the Trainman genset. The A6X has pads on it with 1K ohms resistance for LEDs, but I'm wondering if that will affect the brightness.

Not sure as IDK how the LEDS on the Genset are wired. If they already have the resistors on the boards with the LEDs then you can just hook them up to the decoder 12v outputs, if the resistors are on the board above the motor then you will have to find out the value of them.
 


Gensets have the ditch lights wired in series so the ditch lights have to be separately wired into the decoder to flash.

If I want 8-functions, and already have an A6X installed, would it be easier to take out the A6X and wire in a TCS LL8 with the headlight commons not connected to the common pin and wired instead to the 12V common pad (the headlight common pin is voltage regulated to 1.5V) or should I just add a 2-function, function only decoder to the A6X for the strobes? (NS #300 has strobes on the roof and I'd like to have those installed someday). The TCS LL8 is the only 8-function decoder that I know of.
 
Hey Alcomotive, I sent you a PM here and tried to send a second with photos but it said you had exceeded your message quota. Check your PM's please ;)


Don't mean to disappoint my SW10s r not for sale or trade in fact when I get back I will be sending them to Jerome for a few mods and the to Mark to rewire and install decoders. These babies have Sagami motors sweet setup!
 
I use 1K ohm for my LED installs, you can also try 680 Ohms. If the LEDs wont flash on your install then one resistor per pair will work. Test different values till you get the result your after but I would keep them above 680 ohms to be safe.

Mark, many thanks! I'll let y'all know what value I settle on.:D

I thought I was bad, but do you and Jerome ever sleep?:rolleyes:;):cool:
 
Karl, No I sleep. LOL But I'm a second shift worker so I get home at 12:30am, don't usually get to bed until after 3am or so.
 
Hey Mark while you are in here answering questions, I am wondering if you have any LED's for an Athearn SW1500 RTR. I need enough LEDs to outfit two locomotives. Are you still selling LEDs that will fit this model? What are you using for lighting when you do Jerome's switchers?

If I lived in the States it would be alot easier to just send you these loco's for the final touches, but being in Canada the postage and customes is a real pain in the...
 
No I am not selling the LEDs for the SW locos until I figure out a better way of doing the install. Right now I use Surface Mount Golden White LEDs which are individually wired. Once I figure out a better way I will post it here.
 
No I am not selling the LEDs for the SW locos until I figure out a better way of doing the install. Right now I use Surface Mount Golden White LEDs which are individually wired. Once I figure out a better way I will post it here.

Hey it was worth a shot. Thanks anyway Mark. I still have a life time supply of the surface mount ones you sent me to mess around with.:D
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top