Jerome's Switcher Roster

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up 2 Proto 2K units at the show yesterday for an excellent price, both will get repainted for the Central, units 1201 and 1202. I also picked up 2 older Athearn SW7's, along with 2 new undec shells that a friend is repainting into the early "lightning bolt" paint scheme. As soon as I find my missplaced tan paint, I can start painting some switchers! Pics to follow soon. Mike
 
Brad, the small antenna is a whip antenna. Details Associates #229-1802

http://www.1stplacehobbies.com/cgi-bin/p_229-1802_n.asp

Look here at 1513, no box on top. I have no idea what it is on the others, still checking.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=874182

Thanks for the links. I think I might just upgrade that whip antenna to a firecracker. Although it would look nice I can almost bet it would not last long with the handling.

I thought that box on top of the cab was weird too. I have never seen that, but the IT seems to have it on most of their units? Maybe I will just omit that too. I can not find a photo detailed enough to model it correctly. Small sacrifices for sure, which I am willing to take. :)
 
Brad, back to this picture..................

101_0762.jpg


The whip antenna is the one between the firecracker and the horn. It doesn't actually have a whip on it, it's just the base. I suppose you could drill it out and glue in a paint brush bristle or something like that to simulate the whip part. But it's not really needed.
 


Okay that makes more sense now that I see it. There is no way I would get a whip on that anyway.:D

Do you apply your grab irons before of after you paint your shells? I was thinking before myself but just wonder if there would be an issue with buildup of coats and thickness? Oh yeah and while I am at it, what about the etched radiator grills. Did you paint under them first or apply them to the undecorated model and then spray?

Thanks
 
Brad, your doing an all black engine with very minimal decals. You can install the grabs, lift rings, un-coupler bars, MU hoses, MU stands, drop steps, bell, horn, etc. before painting. I painted the inside of the grill first, then painted inside the radiator area also. Then installed the grill and painted the rest of the engine. While your at it, give all of the brass walkways a first coat too. Then when you go for your finishing coat, those will already be darkened and cover a lot easier. Unless you plan on doing a primer coat first, then you don't have to worry about hitting the brass walkways.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Brad, funny you should ask that. Yesterday she got a new coat of Southern Pacific Dark Lark gray paint. I missed a few areas under it so I have to do some touch up on it. Here's how it looks right now.

101_0744.jpg


You can see the next one in the background. It was a real basket case, Many years of abuse on it.

I have to check in with you again on this build. I have been anxious to see the final result. Any further progress with this one?
 
Brad, still looks the same. Got busy on a bunch of other stuff and work has picked up so I haven't had the time to do any more work on it. I'll get to it eventually.
 
Projects should be fun. If I get bored of a project, I put it aside until I feel like working on it again or else I may rush it or not be motivated to do a good job. (then again, I'm working on other people's stuff half the time so I don't have that much time to work on my own stuff!)
 


You have all the bases covered! I can't believe how many different details are out there; you just need to know where to find them (or what you are even looking for?).

Have you ever done a model where you drilled them out and put LEDs in? I thought that Mark made a milled down LED and packaged them for sale but I am not sure if he still does this?
 
Brad, he does the red ones for ConRail units. I'm sure he could do white ones also. It's kinda easy to know what detail parts are available when you specialize in just switchers. I keep tabs on most of the new products that come out for them.
 
I want a model of this thing. It has TWO airhorns on the cab!

http://www.pbase.com/dmwenc/image/123562465

The Grafton and Upton is really interesting. They standardized on the EMD first generation engines (the Alco was scrapped :( ). Right now they have a CF7, a GP9, and that CN painted (GTW) GP9-2.

And Jerome, the gensets have a similar horn arrangement to those CSOR switchers.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That being a CF7, originally an F7, it has a single chime blat style horn facing both front and rear. Not exactly 2 separate multiple chime horns like I was referring too.
 


Yeah, it's a 5 chime. The 5-chime is hooked up to the horn lever, and the single chime blat horn is hooked up to a valve with a rope hanging from the cab's ceiling.

Not sure what it is, but sounds like a Nathan.

Highball Graphics (MG Decals) will be coming out with decals for the G+U sometime in December.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top