Flo's Place (a.k.a. Coffee Shop #19)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning folks

It was 50 F as I headed onto the highways this morning. High today will be 60 F with rain.

Last night we had our Cub Scout Pack Meeting and helped the kids with homework. We watch the show on National Geographic Channel about the Australian submarine AE-2 that sailed through the Dardanelles during the Gallipoli Campaign in World War I.

Tonight is an off night with nothing on the calendar. Maybe there will be some train time.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Good Mid Morning--

Had a nice quiet evening watching rain falling. 'Spring' was all piculous and running around chasing a little R/C car I had got to make into a toy for him.

Today will be doing a few small things to make up for Xmas stocking stuffers for our church bizarre.

Chris Somewhere in my files I had a statistic that had small businesses employed 80% of those working right now--maybe from a couple of years ago---

Jim I'd imagine some guy trying to get a good photo on his telescope and having the meteorite shoot right by at that time. Someone I know had that happen. It was impressive!!
 
Not much going on here. Just watching 'The Prisoner'. It's very different from the one I watched in 70's even though the story line is very similar.
 


Afternoon, everyone.

Chris, go to http://www.obamaers.com/one-toro-lawnmower50-jobs-890-boots9-jobs/ for some information about the Toro lawnmower and the job creation. It was at www.recovery.gov, the official gubmint website, but it's been "adjusted". If you look at how the stimulus money has been parceled out, almost all of it has gone to large corporations, public interest groups, the usual assortment of boondoggle government agencies, and public agencies like cities and counties. Almost none has been spent on small businesses, mainly because they don't meet the credit standards the administration has set up. Some of the jobs supposedly created or "saved" have been complete fiction. It's really disgusting.

Tom, have you been watching the WWII in Color series on the History Channel? Some pretty amazing footage. My dad's PT boat was in one episode, although no pictures of my dad, since he was in the engine room. Seeing the war in color gives a lot more impact than the usual B&W films.

Barry, no rain here but it has been a touch chilly for us. I have one of those laser pointers and I can make all four cats crazy getting them to chase it around. I swear one of them is just not right. He'll sit in the same place and try to chase that laser dot up the wall until the batteries go dead. :) Indeed, small businesses (less than 50 employees) create somewhere between 70% and 80% of the jobs in our economy. Until small business is able to get credit again, we can never have a real economic recovery. I've been out the last couple of nights observing the Leonid meteor shower but it's been pretty disappointing this year, with only a few meteorites per hour. The one over Nevada and Utah apparently wasn't related to the Leonid shower, just one of the millions of meteorites wandering around in space that got close enough to the atmosphere and put on a good show. With all the security cameras around today, there's a lot of good video of the event available on You Tube.

Jeffrey, I never really got the whole Prisoner show theme. It was a little too dense and British for me.

Prattville High School has one more game to play in the semi-finals this Friday. If they win, they'll be in the finals for the state championship for the third year. The way it's working out, it looks like the last big game will be in Auburn on the same Saturday that the Iron Bowl, between the Tide and Auburn, is going t be played. The Iron Bowl will be played at Auburn this year. We were planning on going to see the Prattville game but I can't imagine the traffic jam that's going to develop. The high school game will draw about 20,000 people and the Iron Bowl over 100,000 people. At least Tuscaloosa is used to handling large crowds. Auburn isn't, and there's only one freeway in and out of town. I may watch this one on TV. :eek:
 
Afternoon, everyone.

Chris, go to http://www.obamaers.com/one-toro-lawnmower50-jobs-890-boots9-jobs/ for some information about the Toro lawnmower and the job creation. It was at www.recovery.gov, the official gubmint website, but it's been "adjusted". If you look at how the stimulus money has been parceled out, almost all of it has gone to large corporations, public interest groups, the usual assortment of boondoggle government agencies, and public agencies like cities and counties. Almost none has been spent on small businesses, mainly because they don't meet the credit standards the administration has set up. Some of the jobs supposedly created or "saved" have been complete fiction. It's really disgusting.

I figured it was some kinda scam!:rolleyes::mad: I guess the economy will start to turn for the better just as soon as the public starts to lock and load:D! It would be a good idea to send the stimulus $$ to the small business man!:p At least if we still fail you'll know we gave it our best shot! Unlike other people!:(

Oh BTW: I got the Christmas tree out and the John deere train out!
 
Jeffrey, I never really got the whole Prisoner show theme. It was a little too dense and British for me.
The Prisoner, created by Patrick McGoohan and George Markstein, follows a former British Secret agent who is held captive in "the Village" by mysterious authorities who want to know why he has resigned his position. The series ran for seventeen episodes, from 1967 to 1968, first on the UK's ITV and, later, on Canada's CTV. It was shown on AFN (Armed Forces Network) in the late 70's and made several appearances on some US cable channels in the 80's.

In the new shows AMC reinterprets the British 1960s cult classic of the same name in a miniseries format. The miniseries stars Jim Caviezel as "Six" and the legendary Ian McKellen as "Number Two." Six believes that he was a security analyst who resigned from his position, and finds himself trapped in a community known only as "the Village", located in a desert seemingly in the middle of nowhere. Six vows to escape, but must determine if his memories are his real life, or simply the delusions of a deluded man.

So far I don't find it to be real exciting but it is somewhat interesting.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jim: I finally got the "D-Link" wireless secured. It would have been easier if I would have had even the slightest idea of what the !@#$ I was doing :D. Yes, the "N" types are way faster (at up to 300Mbs instead of the 54Mbs I had) than the "G" and the range is also greater. I also got the dual band 2.5-5. Right now, my shop computer has a "G" card in it, but the increase in speed is amazing...like being inside on the house computer.

Chris: Yeah, Tebow seems to be a well balanced person. To bad Atlanta will be his last college game :rolleyes::p:D.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good Evening--

Got some more MR stuff done tonight--getting to have some fun with a bunch of people on Monday so's I gotta get this place---"organized"--ohno ohno:eek::eek::eek:

A few things---
 
Good morning everyone.

Everyone must be busy actually building their models this time of year. I'm waiting for my package to arrive from Walthers. Not that there isn't anything to do before it comes, I will have my final spacing for my buildings though. That should help me decide where to lay the rest of the track. So exciting!

I've been patiently waiting for some flurries around here. It's amazing what a little snow can do for peoples shopping mood. I was promptly scolded by my coworker when I wished for snow! She said, "shhh!, shame on you!" I don't care, I actually like the snow.:eek: That is until March or April, then I can't stand the sight of it!

I have to finish putting up the last tree at work today. It should have gone up a few days ago, but it's been sunny and in the fifties again. I had to wait until night just to get on the mood.

I hope you all have a good weekend!
 
Good morning folks

It was 50 F this clear morning. High will be 60 F. We actually had a thunderstorm overnight. It was weird for mid November.

I thought I had a night off until we had to go out and get my daughter new shoes. So while we were at Kmart we got a jump on a few Christmas gifts. I did, however, go through my paints and make a list of some colors I need to pick-up the next time I am at the craft store.

This weekend starts off with a bunch. We have our annual Scouting for Food drive tomorrow morning. If the weather cooperates we have a bunch of things to do in the yard to get ready for winter.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 


Mornin'

Our day started with a soupy fog-now it is just kinda sunny with grey clouds and 30% showers showering on our heads--high today will be 11C and the low will be 4C. The current temp. is 5C---:)

Got some runnin' around to do for the weekend class seminars as well as makin' sure everyone be fed :D:rolleyes:--

Have a good day--:D:D:D
 
Afternoon, everyone.

Rex, glad to hear you got the network set up. I have an ancient Linksys G router and I'm trying to get a reliable signal to the basement. I've done it with a wireless adapter and an extension that allows me to mount it up high but it's still not very reliable. I guess it's time to breakdown and get an N router, especially since the computers I have now have N capable cards.

Chris, this whole stimulus thing is kind of a scam. It's passing out dumptruck loads of money and hoping a miracle will occur. Until small businesses can get credit, housing prices stabilize, and people get back to work, this whole stimulus is simply the government attempting to manage a failed economy and make things look good. Just like us little people, the government can't run on credit and debt forever. We are headed for a train wreck of massive proportions. :mad:

Barry, kind of interesting that the grain elevator has the Purina name with a maple leaf in the logo. I wonder if Purinia operates as a Canadian subsidiary up there?

Corey, I know it's kind of odd to wish for snow but, up there, a bit of snow does put people in the holiday shopping mood. It's going to be a short season with Thanksgiving so late, so retailers will need all the help they can get. I just hope you can avoid the big snows that keep people home instead of out at your store.

Jeffrey, I guess it was that whole thing of not knowing what was real and what was in the secret agent's mind that made the whole show so confusing. If you lived in Alabama, you'd have an excuse not to do those mortar lines, since we are much too lazy to ever do anything on time. :)

Prattville has their big game tonight in Mobile against a tough Davidson team. Assuming things go well, the next game should be against Auburn next Friday and then another shot at the state championship. If we can pull it off, we'll be the only team in Alabama high school hisotry to win the state championship four times in a row. The Tide plays Chattanooga tomorrow, which should be a walkover, and then the Big one, the Iron Bowl, against Auburn next Friday. We're looking forward to wrassling some Gators this year. :) It's been a sunny, mild day again. Might get some rain tomorrow but we could use some.
 
Afternoon, everyone.

Rex, glad to hear you got the network set up. I have an ancient Linksys G router and I'm trying to get a reliable signal to the basement. I've done it with a wireless adapter and an extension that allows me to mount it up high but it's still not very reliable. I guess it's time to breakdown and get an N router, especially since the computers I have now have N capable cards.
Another option is to get a Linksys WRE54G. It retails for about a hundred dollars, but you don't have to buy anything else. We use one outside the door of our RV so we can get the campground's WiFi signal into the trailer.
 
Jeffrey, I guess it was that whole thing of not knowing what was real and what was in the secret agent's mind that made the whole show so confusing. If you lived in Alabama, you'd have an excuse not to do those mortar lines, since we are much too lazy to ever do anything on time. :)
What makes that funny is I DID live in Alabama at one time. Huntsville to be exact. Don't ask what street, it was too long ago.
 
Jim It is a Canadian subsidiary with the head office in Montreal QC--if I'm not mistaken. The Woodstock plant processes pet feeds mostly---

Got a few more images to toss---
 
I got another account today and it's the slow season!:eek::D That's the second account in my FIL's hood! My FIL said I would get any account in Viva Villas......Wait till I show him the signitures on the work order!:D Tomarrow my son and I have 6 to do:eek: we're slowly getting there!
 
Didn't get to do much today. Got some laundry done, got my dressings changed and received more antibiotics and supplies from the pharmacy delivery driver. By the time I got back home I was too tired to do anything on the layout. These antibiotics really wipe me out. Thankfully I'm almost finished with them.
 
Wow!
Things are really slow in the Coffee shop today.
I stopped by three times today and not much going here.

Chris- I'm glad to see you staying relatively busy right now. Hope you get to gripe about nothing but work, work, work during the spring.

Jeffery- I'm really happy to see you are following doctor'sorders. Healing takes a lot out of your body, so stay off your feet for a little longer.

My cold is no fun. I'm going to take some Nyqil and contemplate my eyelids for a few hours. Hope your day tomorrow is full of trains!
 


The Personel Dept. of the Alabama Central Railroad, announces the acquistion of a new employee.:)

Name: Aiden Caen (Gaelic pronounciation, Ka-een).:D

Position: Grandson #1:D:D:D

Job Title: The Boss!;)

Main Responsibilities: Bringing Joy, eating, peeing, poopin' and growing!:p

Term of Employment: Lifelong.:D

Born Nov. 16, 2009. at 1:14PM. 7lbs, 6ozs. 20" tall. Mom and baby doing well. Grampa still on cloud 9!:D:D:D:D:D:D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top