Coffee Shoppe XXIV

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeffrey
My Dad used to do this to all the cars & trucks with high mileage. He'd drive them to work (30 miles each way) when they were due for a change. Just before leaving to come home he would add a quart of ATF to the engine oil, then drive home. Immediately upon arriving home he would dump the oil & filter, and let it drain while eating supper, then finish after dinner.
The 63 Falcon made it to 387,000 miles with the original timing chain before the rear floor rotted out and the springs started coming through the floor. The 76 F-150 had 258,000 before the quarters rusted off. The 65 1-ton Chevy already had 350,000 on it when he got it, he drove it to just over 400,000 before he got an offer he couldn't refuse.
But that was Dad
Being a smarta$$ed kid, I go a different route. Mobil 1 has gotten me 187,000 miles on my Olds without a tick, my wife's Metro has 140,000 and is quieter than a mouse (not much bigger either!). My 88 Ranger (that I inherited from Dad) had been running conventional oil until I got it and had a slight lifter noise (at 75,000 miles). 2 Mobil 1 oil changes later, it's quiet again.:D
But like they say,
Your mileage may vary!
 
I'd be concerned running Synthetic in his engine, any minor leak would turn into a major hemorrhage that would be an expensive repair. A quart of #2 diesel might help, but again, I'd go with the "it ain't broke, don't f*** with it" plan. A lighter oil wouldn't hurt, but significant diet changes might.
 


I personally never use non synthetic in an engine, from my lawnmower to the cars

Careful with that one. A lot of smaller engines cannot live on a multigrade oil. Remember, lawn mower technology for the most part, is 30-40 years behind the modern automobile. That includes the internals too!
I've seen quite a few air cooled engines die prematurely because of the wrong oil.
If it calls for straight 30 weight, don't use 5w-30 or even 10w-30. It will burn oil off before it ever gets hot enough to thicken up! I have yet to see a synthetic 30 weight oil.
 
I'd be concerned running Synthetic in his engine, any minor leak would turn into a major hemorrhage that would be an expensive repair.

I was worried about that with the Ranger, since it was 20 years old at the time that I switched it, but so far, the garage floor has stayed clean, and it's still on the full mark, so it must be ok.:D

BUT

Jeffrey does have a Dodge, (isn't it?) and doesn't that mean Drips Oil, Drips Grease, Everywhere?

Sorry Jeffrey, Chris made me say it!!:rolleyes:
 
I think I'll mix up some Slick 50, STP and WD-40 to lube my steamer models!

Actually, on the Corvette and motorcycle forums I monitor, oil and additives are some of the most debated subjects discussed and cussed.

I should have known better than to comment on this thread!! There are as many opinions as to the best lubricates as there are people reading this thread. LOL!
I'll bow to superior knowledge and refrain from additional comments.

And to all, a very good night!!
 
I think the problem here is that the oil pump couldn't efficiently pump the thicker oil everywhere it needed to go except at higher engine speeds. Keep in mind that I did say the van was abused before I got it. Severally abused. It was run through mud, run at high rpm's for extended periods and run hot. I think the only reason it kept running is because the 318 is a tough engine, but even it has it's limits.
 
10/06/2010

Good Morning ! from Tipton IN.
anim_coffee.png

anim_snoopy.png

1.png

Diner.png

menu_breakfast_1.png
waitress3.png

:eek:
 


on the same topic Found On the Road, Dead :)
old time joke :):):)
Completely Hopeless Every Vehicle Relies On Leftover Engine Technology

Got Mechanic Coming

Big Ugly Import Car Killer

Poor Old (ethnic minority) Thinks It's A Cadillac
 
Actually, on the Corvette and motorcycle forums I monitor, oil and additives are some of the most debated subjects discussed and cussed.

I should have known better than to comment on this thread!! There are as many opinions as to the best lubricates as there are people reading this thread. LOL!
I'll bow to superior knowledge and refrain from additional comments.
I don't know how many times something one guy swears by, another one swears at.
I know if you have an engine that smokes, you can change the oil and go to Mobil 1 to stop it smoking. It's won't stop burning oil, it'll just stop smoking. I've gotten shafted twice buying cars at the auction that way.

I also have a Honda generator that smoked (very lightly) from the previous owner's abuse of it. I drained the sludge (several hundred hours and never changed the oil) and put a quart of M-1 in it. It hasn't smoked, or even burned oil since. I'd call that more luck than skill on my part, though.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Mikey
Chris said"---I don't kiss and tell Gentlemen!"
Does this mean you kiss Gentlemen?
Or that you don't kiss and tell! How about that Gentlemen?

Or it could mean

I kiss gentlemen,,, but only when they are asleep

OIL,,, I had an Audi with 236000 on the clock, ran like a dream all the time, i put any old oil in as long as it was for a petrol engine it went in.
 
Good morning. It's 50 and sunny. The high will be 82 and it will be sunny.

Woke up this morning to no water. There's a break in the line and no one seems to know when it will be fixed. So for now I'm getting by with a couple of gallons of distilled water. Had dinner with the parents last night. Pork chops, rice with cheddar cheese and broccoli, potato salad, steamed cabbage and cornbread. Later today I'll be out picking up some things in the yard. I've been putting it off until I could get a day when my back wasn't screaming at me and it looks like today is that day.

P1011294.jpg
 
Jeffery- That picture reminds me of a blond beauty I dated for awhile.

I would try to get her to "yield" before she told me to "stop".

And no, Chris, it was not dating in a horse and buggy!;)
 
Interesting topic about oil. I have thought about changing my '06 F150 to synthetic, but the old school keeps me from making the switch.
 
Not to change the topic of OIL.......but, I go for my physical tomarrow for my old job!:eek: I'm back in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm a G-man brownie, back in uniform again!
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top