ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
- Status
-
Not open for further replies.
Gomez Addams
Staff member
The dishwasher was delivered last Thurs. I finally got it running properly today. When I hooked up the utilities yesterday no water was getting to the washer. #@$%@#$&*. I had put one of those supply lines on that have the flow sensor that shuts down the water to that line if it detects a leak. Every time the dishwasher started it tripped the the danged sensor. Stopped by Lowe's today and got one without the sensor and it works like a champ. Moved an electrical outlet up about 18" in the utility room so it is now above the movable base cabinet next to the washer and dryer. All that is left to finish the kitchen remodel is the trim moldings and the new lights we just ordered Thurs evening. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting to be very very bright. In fact it is almost blinding me. LOL LOL LOL!!!!! Well back at it the BOSS has spoken. Boy she hates it when I call her BOSS.
Auto flow sensor that shuts off the water except when you don't want it to. I didn't know Murphy has his own design bureau.
Chris got some! Chris got some!
Mikey, BAMA sure put a whupping on Florida! Couldn't believe it! I was so worried about our defense, particularly pass defense. They still had some very bad coverage mistakes, but over all......goooodnuf!

Fellows the weather is GREAT down here: low 70's day, 40's night. LOVE IT!
10/05/2010
Good Morning ! from Tipton IN.

Gomez Addams
Staff member
Good morning. The sun's just coming up here. It's 46 degrees, with a high supposed to be in the mid 60's later.
Chris, you can't cut the grass while you're bouncing in the trees..
Has anybody heard from Jim? It's been a while, I hope that RV didn't get the best of him.
Good morning. It's 48 and clear. The high will be 78 and it will be sunny.
The past few weeks I've been doing a lot of nothing. Now, for the past few days I've been picking on a couple of GP30's I just happen to have laying around. I'm not doing much to them, just adding a little paint here, a decal there. These are the Bachmann GP30's so there's not much detail on them, somewhat like Athearn blue box.
http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/P1011289-1.jpg
Chris got some! Chris got some!
Whatever it is, I hope there is a cure for it!

Good morning everyone.
Chris, be careful with that new hobby! Just remember what you are going through right now. It's the screwin' you get for the screwin' ya did!
Not much modeling going on lately. My days off have been filled with family time and other random events. I hope I can get back at it tonight.
My wife and I spent this past weekend in La Crosse WI visiting old friends. In between seeing different people we stopped at the hobby shop in town. Just walking up to the windows you could tell he wasn't doing very well. My suspicions were confirmed when walking through the door. His store has half the inventory it did two years ago. My wife made the comment that what he had left was what he had a year ago, only less. I asked how he was doing and he replied "terrible, either we sell nothing or next to nothing." Through the conversation he brought up people buying off the Internet. He said that he would order at the same price you could order from the discounters. This was news to me. The reason I never bought much from him was the fact that he never offered a discount. He never had a sale either. I don't mind paying retail prices for some stuff, but not all of it. Just think, he could have had all of my business if he had mentioned that a few years ago. My wife made the comment that he won't be there next time we visit. I sadly agreed.
On a lighter note, my boss is having double knee replacement as we speak. I guess I'm really the chief cook and bottle washer for the foreseeable future!

Have a great day everyone.
Whatever it is, I hope there is a cure for it!
Whatever it is, I want some too!
Anything that makes you bounce off the top of trees, must be good


.
I don't kiss and tell Gentlemen!


But it did turn out to be a great weekend and more to come in the future, I can tell you that and as soon as I can get the picturs loaded from my camera you may meet Dana! As for the rememberance of my pass attempts, my friends that is for most in my head! But either way I'm happy for now and I see the light at the end of the tunnel! I got to get some rest....CUL!
Well today I came to a decision. Last month I took my van to an oil change shop in town, a shop that I had stopped doing business with some years ago I might add. I took it there only because my nephew had told me the place has changed. Well I took it there and right away they're telling me I should put a heavier grade oil in it because of the age of the engine. Now everything I know about oil viscosity was telling me not to but they convinced me otherwise. Who knows, maybe they knew something I didn't know. So I proceeded on the assumption they knew what they were talking about. Turned out they didn't. They drained out the 10-30 that was in it and replaced it with 10-40. Well, ever since then the tappets have been clattering at low speed. I mean they clattered before but nowhere near as loud. I tried thinning the oil down but I couldn't thin it enough. So today I drained out the 10-40 and replaced it with new fresh 10-30. The engine sounds much better. The clatter is still there but is more subdued as it was before (that's to be expected from a 30 year old engine that's seen quite a few years of abuse by a bunch of beer drinking, pill popping kids) I took the van to that galloping band of idiots. One thing for sure, this old Indian won't be taking his business back there again. There are 2 other oil change places in town that have much better reputations.
Chris said"---I don't kiss and tell Gentlemen!"
Does this mean you kiss Gentlemen?
Or that you don't kiss and tell! How about that Gentlemen?
Anyhow, glad you have a little "happy" to make life more worth the hassel of living!
I have been wondering about Jim for awhile, myself. I hope it is just computer troubles.
Jeffery- If you have the 318 engine with over 100K miles, you might try 20-50 grade oil to help in the warm weather. I had a '78 Plymouth van I had to run the thicker oil in during the summer, or it got rather noisey.
Remember in the early '60s when you could buy recycled oil at the gas station, in the reuseable glass bottles for 15 cents a quart. Never changed the oil, just added a quart with every tank of gas!
Jeffery- If you have the 318 engine with over 100K miles, you might try 20-50 grade oil to help in the warm weather. I had a '78 Plymouth van I had to run the thicker oil in during the summer, or it got rather noisey.
It has about 76,000 miles. 10-40 didn't help it at all despite the hot weather. I don't see how the much thicker 20-50 is going to help with the weather getting cooler.
Gomez Addams
Staff member
It has about 76,000 miles. 10-40 didn't help it at all despite the hot weather. I don't see how the much thicker 20-50 is going to help with the weather getting cooler.
In this case, thinner is better. If you had asked, I would have suggested 5W30 for the Winter. The reason being, it takes a lot longer for the thicker oil to get to the top of the engine. The thinner oil will also flow through those partly clogged ports in the engine more better.

I managed to beat that into some of the techs that worked on the Ford V10 engine. They would drain the 5W20 oil out, and put either 5W30 or 10W30 oil in, and wonder why the engine suddenly sounded like a threshing machine.
Terry would running a quart or two of kerosene in the oil for about 10 to 15 minutes at idle help clean some of the clogged ports? I did that on one of the old clunkers I used to have and it helped a whole bunch. A very noisy engine before and a much quieter and smoother running one after. Also put in some kind of a oil additive like Lucas Oil Treatment after the kerosene treatment.
- Status
-
Not open for further replies.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)