Coffee Shoppe XXIV

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone.

It's a beautiful, though windy day. Highs in the eighties but little humidity. It was suppose to be humid but no sign of it so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.:)

My wife is on the mend now after her surgery. She had nineteen staples removed yesterday from her abdomen. I feel bad that everything we need to do to have children falls on her shoulders. All I need to do is come up with the cash and give a sample in a cup! Life's not fair I guess.

I continued ballasting yesterday. I noticed a substantial noise increase after ballasting the track. I know it's because I'm using white glue instead of matte medium. That and the fact that it's mounted on cork over foam with very little support underneath. The reason I'm using white glue is so I can reuse the track in the event that I change my mind on the layout. That or when I move some day and decide to expand!

I'm having a hard time keeping the ballast off of the ties while gluing. I know all of the tricks as far as tapping on the track to get it to settle. The rock is much harder than walnut shells to clean off after the glue dries. I think after I weather the middle of the track it should blend in better. That pink ballast sure shows up against the brown ties. We'll see how it looks I guess.

I hope to continue work on the layout this afternoon. We'll see what the patient has in store for me.

Have a great day everyone.
 
I was busy stripping the Century for any parts I can use on the van. I decided to see if I could get the fuel pump to work and was turning the switch for it on and off trying to get it to start working again. I stopped for a moment with the switch on and just stomped on the floorboard (with my good foot) and said 'work or die you piece of crap! The fuel pump whirred to life and I started the engine. It ran OK, not great but OK considering the electronics for the injector manifold are fried and the injectors are worn out (345,000 miles of use will do that). I didn't run it for very long though as I had already removed both radiator fans and their relays. I also removed the 100 watt cone speaker for the air horn and disconnected the power cables for the light bar, it's control box and the 2-way radio. Probably tomorrow I'll remove the light bar and the 2-way. Another project will be to disconnect the fuel line and use the fuel pump (for as long as it works) to pump the gas out of the tank.
 


Well lets recap my last day as a 14 yr old :D

I woke up at 5am because i was excited about our football game this morning. I wound up making 3 tackles and sacked the QB, i was wicked happy about that one, the crowd went nuts, they lost 8 yds :D Anyways, if that wasnt enough, i went to work afterwards. I didnt get paid but thats ok.

Tommorow is 365 days away from being able to get my permit. On the agenda for tommorow includes great grandmas memorial and then work 6-10. Ill find something to do in the morning though, im thinking taking a nice paddle around in the kayak and casting some lines out.

Have a good one gents!
 
Hi all! Flo, don't get your panties in a wad about Bill's new scenery...Your still the Queen.
Still comfortably good weather here in T-town. Can't believe that we are going to get down into the upper 80's in the next few days.

Corey: I don't think white glue will cause any more noise problems than other adhesives. Besides, what's a railroad without noise:D.

Jeffrey: man I agree, "The Train" is one of the best war dramas made. I've only watched it a half dozen times (and will continue ever few years).

Karl: OMG! They are beautiful! (maybe I will come up for a caper...errrr....visit:o:D) Always loved that color scheme.
 
Well lets recap my last day as a 14 yr old :D
So now you're 15 eh? How things have changed. When I was 15 I had already had my license for 2 years and had gotten my permit a year before that. Thank God they don't let 12 year olds legally drive anymore. My nephew got his license at 15. He had just barely sneaked under the wire as they were changing the age to 16 at that time.Even at that age he was a terror on the roads. He just had to see how fast any vehicle in his possession (whether it was his or not, usually not) could go, and he wonders why I won't let him drive any vehicle I own. He's 27 now I believe and has gone through over a dozen vehicles. He wrecked 7 of them and he wrecked his mothers car 5 times before drowning it in a flash flood.:eek: Almost every time he's walked away with at the most a scrape or bruise. Only once was he unable to get out under his own power, mainly because the cab of his Jeep Comanche was wrapped around him. That can happen you hit a large oak tree at 80 mph!:eek: Even in that one he walked away after they pried open the cab. His worst injury was some cuts from broken glass.:confused: He's been lucky so far but some day his luck will run out, and I don't want to be there when it does. Even with as much of a dare devil as I was in my younger days I'm not fool enough to ride in any vehicle he's driving. There's a loose nut in that vehicle and it's behind the wheel! :)I hope you fare a lot better and don't act like a mindless nut behind the wheel.:) There's enough of them out there already competing for the 2010-2011 Darwin Award.:D
 
Well lets recap my last day as a 14 yr old :D

I woke up at 5am because i was excited about our football game this morning. I wound up making 3 tackles and sacked the QB, i was wicked happy about that one, the crowd went nuts, they lost 8 yds :D Anyways, if that wasnt enough, i went to work afterwards. I didnt get paid but thats ok.

Tommorow is 365 days away from being able to get my permit. On the agenda for tommorow includes great grandmas memorial and then work 6-10. Ill find something to do in the morning though, im thinking taking a nice paddle around in the kayak and casting some lines out.

Have a good one gents!

That's great Matt, I remember 15, and God what fun times!
 
Jeff- NYS says no applying for a permit until age 16, plus 6 months driving time after that, assuming i get 50hrs behind the wheel. If i did half of any of that stuff you just mentioned, my dad would kill me if the wreck didnt. My keys would go in the scrap yard with the car, and itd be a long time before i got my hands behind a wheel again. NYS is pretty strict against laws to keep stuff like that from happening. No driving after 9pm, only 1 passenger under age 18 whose not family, ect. Over time you gain those priviledges :rolleyes: My first car will be a truck, if i can afford one that is :rolleyes: If it goes 80, ill be impressed. I fully expect my truck to just take easy rides to school, concerts, games, friends houses, ect. and back. The huge advantage to the truck will be being able to go to camp after my football games. Just drive up afterwards. Thats the only time itll ever be beaten up offroad.

Chris-Thanks! I cant wait til next game :D
 
Hey, Matt, have a Happy Birthday tomorrow!!!

I'm going to be out of town on Monday to babysit my sisters 2 cats while she goes camping with some friends in Algonquin Park. Tomorrow is going to be getting ready to do dis---:):) Also, I get to see another LHS that I've missed going to because of my heart attack and such---:D:D
 
Jeff- NYS says no applying for a permit until age 16, plus 6 months driving time after that, assuming i get 50hrs behind the wheel. If i did half of any of that stuff you just mentioned, my dad would kill me if the wreck didnt. My keys would go in the scrap yard with the car, and itd be a long time before i got my hands behind a wheel again. NYS is pretty strict against laws to keep stuff like that from happening. No driving after 9pm, only 1 passenger under age 18 whose not family, ect. Over time you gain those priviledges :rolleyes: My first car will be a truck, if i can afford one that is :rolleyes: If it goes 80, ill be impressed. I fully expect my truck to just take easy rides to school, concerts, games, friends houses, ect. and back. The huge advantage to the truck will be being able to go to camp after my football games. Just drive up afterwards. Thats the only time itll ever be beaten up offroad.
The first vehicles I was driving was a John Deere farm tractor and a 1951 Studebaker pickup. Both belonged to my grandfather. When I got big enough I started driving his old Mack B61.
 


To hell with food Bill T, I want the two women! Woot! I'm sure what ever pain I have they can help me forget! hehehehehe
 
Jeff- NYS says no applying for a permit until age 16, plus 6 months driving time after that, assuming i get 50hrs behind the wheel. If i did half of any of that stuff you just mentioned, my dad would kill me if the wreck didnt. My keys would go in the scrap yard with the car, and itd be a long time before i got my hands behind a wheel again. NYS is pretty strict against laws to keep stuff like that from happening. No driving after 9pm, only 1 passenger under age 18 whose not family, ect. Over time you gain those priviledges :rolleyes: My first car will be a truck, if i can afford one that is :rolleyes: If it goes 80, ill be impressed. I fully expect my truck to just take easy rides to school, concerts, games, friends houses, ect. and back. The huge advantage to the truck will be being able to go to camp after my football games. Just drive up afterwards. Thats the only time itll ever be beaten up offroad.

Chris-Thanks! I cant wait til next game :D

I'm not sure what my state law is here any more? But my dad wouldn't let me get my learners until i was 16 and my licence until I was 17! and I still managed to loose it anyways before the school year was out!:rolleyes:LOL's I was a stupid kid:D! So either way I really didn't get my licence until I was 19! But I hardly ever get a ticket now and when I do it's only cause I was 3 or 5 over the speed limit! Either way driving is a privlige not a right and treat it as such or you will be walking your dates everywhere!
 
Good afternoon. It's 84 and cloudy. The high will be 91 and there's a 40% chance of showers and thunderstorms.

This morning I took out the bolts that were holding the Century's light bar. When I feel froggy enough I'll lift it off the roof. The sucker weighs 80 some-odd pounds. I had gotten the fuel pump working again yesterday so today I cut the fuel supply line, put the end of the line into a 6 gallon gas can and turned the fuel pump on. I filled the can full three times and filled it halfway the fourth time. The main tank on my father's truck is full now and there was some left to put in the reserve tank. Tomorrow I'll take out the 2-way radio, the electronic air horn module and the light bar switch box. I'll also be pulling the stereo.

P1011348.jpg
 
I just have to brag!
A high of 81 degrees in Birmingham today and the all day rain has put over 2.5 inches of water in the guage.
A great finish to August!
 
Thanks for all the birthday wishes everyone.

Today im officially 15, only 2 weeks before school starts too! :rolleyes: I had a pretty good day, woke up to my sister "tossing" fishing lures at me, and then dropping a 6lb bag of gummy bears on my stomach :eek: Alittle farther south and we would have had a serious problem. Anyways, this afternoon was my great grandmas memorial service. It was nice to see everyone from around the country. Other than family it seemed like the whole town was there. You know how small towns have a few families that everyone knows, we are one of those families. After that work went well. We sold out of our most popular items early on in my shift so time seemed to drag on. I wound up being able to take a break and walk around with my sister and cousin. I wound up winning more fish, for them ;). I had a pretty good birthday given the different schedule. I got some of my favorite candy, some lures, and the universal gift of cash :D

I hope everyone is having a great night.
 
Good morning everyone.

Bill, good to see the ladies haven't changed a bit. Welcome back.

I had a great day off yesterday filled with model railroading. I made quite a few trees while planting the ones I made the day before. Parts of the layout are really coming together. I also continued ballasting the rural section of the layout. I can't believe how much better it looks with ballast. Rex, you are right, who cares about the noise.

I have a long and boring day ahead of me. With Tuesday off again, I hope to continue this productive streak on the layout.

Have a good day everyone.
 


Good morning folks

It was 76 F as we dropped my daughter off for her first day of high school. High will be 93 F and we are under an Air Quality Alert.

We took it easy this weekend. My son finished the fish pond fence which was his project for his Family Life Merit Badge. He also finished his Pathfinding Merit Badge. On Sunday we went looking for animal tracks for his Tracking Merit Badge. We found some but nothing that we could make a cast of which is his last requirement for this badge.

We also went wine shopping. My wife is going to a conference next week and was asked to bring a local wine for the hospitality suite. Since neither of us can drink we were out of our element. We went to the Chadds Ford Winery and they were very helpful. She got a bottle to take with her and a bottle for home. I am not sure when we will open it since we are not supposed to drink alcohol because of the medications we take. However, we have sneaked a glass here and there for special occasions such as a birthday or anniversary.

No trains this weekend.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top