Coffee Shop Part VII is now OPEN

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Glenn, when we saw the bald eagle, at first I thought it was Carey, but then I saw it had white tail feathers.:D :D :D
 


YAY!!, my KaDee couplers have arrived, now it will be a hell of a task to install them, since all the cars and locos have different positions and heights :S ( and I also did not buy a KADEE height guage, did not find any on e-bay )

I only managed to install the first pair on the RS-3 which took me some 30 mins :eek: :eek: :eek: to understand the situation and how the system works. And 30 mins was with the help of Josh :) ( Tnx Josh :) ) if it wasn't for him, I would still be trying :P.

truck_1.jpg


But as I said, I donno where to start from especially these 2 locos which has a very restricted place. As said above Josh suggested me to trim the KaDee boxes to fit in place.

couplers_2.jpg


Well lets start trying out and fit these couplers :) I cannot wait to see how they work :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Rex;

Zaps huh, jest you wait!

PS; got that pos Y6 fixed yet?????:eek: Still think you need to replace that Loksound with a Tsumani!
 
Evening yall,

Carey it's good to see back sparring with Rex again!

Rex - that looks like a great camping trip you went on, and during a perfect season! Unfortunately for me, this time of year I am nearly booked solid with family/school-related commitments, my time is not my own.

Max - glad to see you're moving over to Kadee couplers, they look better and are soooo much easier to operate with! Installing them may seem like a pain now, but it's well worth it.

On the mrr front, I did some more staging yard wiring today. About an hour's worth, that's all I can endure (did I ever mention I hate wiring?) Slow n' steady wins the race, etc., etc. I'm just tired of my garage looking like a construction zone. One of these days, trains will run here again. Maybe.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Evening yall,

Carey it's good to see back sparring with Rex again!

Ken;

Yeah it really is good to be able to even FEEL like doing something like that.:D But I wish he'd stop already with the bald jokes. He needs to remember, God made few perfect heads, the others he put hair on!!:rolleyes:

Earlier I had made the comment that I had finally got back down to look at the workbench. I had not even been downstairs since early JULY when I first started getting the severe blood pressure problem, (way, way too low or too high). Other than MD appointments and the hospitalization I didn't even get outside for 2 months and definitely did not get much time in on this computer!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
YAY!!, my KaDee couplers have arrived, now it will be a hell of a task to install them, since all the cars and locos have different positions and heights :S ( and I also did not buy a KADEE height guage, did not find any on e-bay )

I only managed to install the first pair on the RS-3 which took me some 30 mins :eek: :eek: :eek: to understand the situation and how the system works. And 30 mins was with the help of Josh :) ( Tnx Josh :) ) if it wasn't for him, I would still be trying :P.

Maxi, before you mentioned using a micrometer to measure the gauge of the rail, so I'm assuming you have some metal fabrication experience. Try to fabricate a coupler height gauge using a couple of cars/engines as a reference for the correct height, or use Kadee's pic on this page for the exact measurements: http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/page47.htm
Once you get all your cars and engines couplers the same height, you won't have nearly as many problems. And Kadee has kits for upper and lower shelf couplers with different shank lengths.
http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/HOplc.htm
Also try McHenry couplers for the "more to scale" look:
http://www.mchenrycouplers.com/
 
Last edited by a moderator:


A Rainy day for Central Indiana this morning. High temp will be in the upper 70's. Temps predicted to be in the mid to low 80's thru Monday these temps will be near record levels for this time of the year. Off to the True Value for my 8 hour shift and another order to check in. Have a great day all.
 
Last edited:
Morning all!

Since Larry did such a fine job with the local weather, I'll just add the graphic.

temps.jpg


And off to work I go!
 
Good morning folks

The humidity is returning in these parts. It was a thick and heavy 69 F this morning as I left the driveway. There was fog pretty much every where. The high today is supposed to be 79 F and it is supposed to feel like a summer day with the humidity. It looks like the rest of the week will be summer-like and with no rain.

I dammed up the river valley on the museum diorama. I hope to be able to pour water tonight of tomorrow. I finished weathering the trucks on the hoppers. I also began weathering the bodies of two of the cylindrical hoppers.

Cub Scouts Awards Ceremony tonight. We couldn’t do the awards last week because it was also our recruiting night and the fact that we weren’t able to get the awards from the scout store in time. I am not sure if this will interfere with any modeling tonight. My wife will be at the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal at a fossil dig site this morning for training on fossils. She is enjoying it since she gets to go on field trips and get paid for it. Later she will be back at the museum for more training. Then she has scouts to do. I am sure we will both be exhausted before the night is done.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Thanks for the info and links ThoroughBreed, I will look into them, but as for teh realistic couplers, I would rather go for reliable ones, since my layout is all curvy, so they would grip better, then go for realistic scaled ones and start having problems.


As for the kadee height gauge, I will try to invent and create something that sits on rails and will have a place where to fit the coupler.

BTW I also received my Atlas MP15 today & my first Atlas Grain hopper :) :) WEEE, they look great, I will try to take some pics this weekend, even though I have no scenery yet :S
 
Good morning.

To put this into an Addam's family context, the weather today will be dreary with lots of sunshine. Things will improve tonight with increasing cloudiness and a chance for rain.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 10/3/2007

Wind Chill: 62°F
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 58°F

So Far Today
High: 64°F
Low: 62°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 5mph N

Today High: 92 Mostly sunny. Highs in the lower 90s. Light and variable winds becoming northeast around 10 mph in the afternoon.

Tonight Low: 65 Increasing clouds. Lows in the mid 60s. Light and variable winds.

P9100371.jpg
 
Mornin' all from the not so sunny south! Coffee, bacon and eggs, sunnyside up, and toast, Sabrina.
Seems we got a tropical low spinning out in the Gulf, and although its not very organized, its still pushing clouds up NW of us. Now iffin' it just push some good tropical rains up, I'll be real happy.:D



As for the kadee height gauge, I will try to invent and create something that sits on rails and will have a place where to fit the coupler.

Max;

Years ago, MR had an article on making your own coupler gauge. They took a regular 3-point gauge, and using a small nut and bolt going thru a small piece of brass tubing, mounted a KD on it. I believe they used an NMRA gauge to set the heigth. It may not have been as accurate as the KD gauge is, but it did give a standard for all the equipment on the layout to go by.

Thanx for the breakfast Sabrina, time to go to our local tire dealer. My wife came home from work yesterday and said the car is "driving funny". Seems she had picked up a nail somewhere and the tire was real low. This morning its flat.:mad: Gonna put some air in it, (Hey Rex, you or Eric come blow on this tube, will ya?;)) and check for damage, but I should be able to get it to the tire dealer with no problem. They are only about 1/2 mile away.:D
 
Good Morning All ! Sunny day here and temps in the low 70's but a bit if the wind from the South . Hey Carey you have to get up on your AAA they change flats . I was on our Thruway recently on the way to a doctors office and I lost my muffler. So there I was with no AAA so I had to call them up and renew my membership on the phone. Well to make a long story short I was able to get towed off for no charge . And Thruway towing is out of sight . Well off to another doctor visit so See you all later . Have a nice day .
 
:) Morning everyone, how'bout a cup on me. I would join you, but I have Carey coming over today and need to make about 2 gallons for him:eek: . Sure hope he wears his hat; I hate working in sunglasses.hehehehe!

Larry/Philip/Tom: Take heart, that forecast could be snow.:eek: . Enjoy the Fall; insulated underwear isn't far off for you.

Max: I read on another thread you talking about installing some flex track. This will be a smart move for you and will really improve your operations. Every joint and variation in curves you have now is a potential problem maker. Doing this and your change to Kadee's will make your layout so much more enjoyable (fun).

KenL: I recently (finally) wired up a yard with drop feeds and tried something different. I just went across in a line, drilling holes between ties in each track, dropped a feed to below, tied all feeds together and ran one pair to the bus. Man, it didn't take much time at all. Much better than tying in individual feeds to the bus.;)
 
Mornin' everybody! Nice to see the place full.

As always I seem to have more "to do's" than day to get them done. I'm going to try to get the last load of wood from my Sister-in-laws cottage this afternoon, and I have to get the chain saw out and running as some of what is left there is more than I want to lift (besides it would have to be shortened here anyway). I also have Deacons at church tonight and have to get stuff printed out and ready for the meeting.

Maxi, I have tried the McHenry couplers with some problems. They just don't seem to be as robust and dependable as the Kadees are. I have never had a kadee stick or just stop working. The McHenry's have broken off the little whiskers and such. Now I fit every new car with the Kadee Couplers and be done with it. Others may have had different experiences with them. Just my 2¢.
 


Morning All! Almost lunch time, so I'll take a large sweet tea!

Carey, Now that you found your work bench did you happen to find my locomotives?

Another trip to Rex's and no trip to Glenn's. Beginning to feel like the red headed ******* step child and I don't even have much hair left.

Have fun at Rex's!

Glenn
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top