Coffee Shop Part 10

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Good morning folks! My mother saw fit to give a grant for the railroad fund last night. Train money was clearly written in the check memo area. The funny thing is that TRAIN MONEY was written by someone who's handwriting was earily similar to mine!

Paul, I found that I had been praying for the wrong thing with my business. I was asking for success and wouldn't listen to His answer. Apparently you should listen for the answer when you ask Him questions! It's absolutely ridiculous how perfect everything is working out. I have an interview with the bigger store today just to see if I would be missing anything great. I don't think I'd be missing anything.

I hope everyone has a good day! It's suppose to 60 and sunny today!
 
Morning all.

Sunny and a bit chilly here. Temps are predicted for mid-50s all week.

Nothing too exciting today. I did get to see a freshly painted CN gp38-2 on my way home last night. Pretty cool to see locos that look "fresh out of the box". :D
 
Good morning folks

It is 49 F according to the High School website. High will be 61 F.

I am having a rough start this morning. I am still home waiting for my father-in-law’s doctors office to open. I went to wake him up this morning as I do every morning before I leave to work. I could tell something wasn’t right by the way he got up. Since he has this he-man attitude when comes to telling you if he is sick or not getting information out of him can be a challenge. After trying to find out what was wrong and getting nowhere he headed off to the bathroom and vomited. He then said that his stomach hurt and he felt cold and clammy. Of course he could hide the fact he was sick since he showed it in front of my wife and I. He has had a cough the past week or so and saw the doctor last week. I have just spent and an hour and a half calling his doctor’s office to only find out that they will open at 10 AM instead of their normal 8 AM today. I just wish he would learn to tell s when he is not feeling well. The last time he pulled this stunt a couple of years ago he wound up in the hospital and rehab center for 6 weeks. He spent two weeks in a medically induced coma so they could treat an infection he got.

Nothing else to report. No modeling. Tonight is supposed to be Cub Scout den meetings.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 


Afternoon everyone!

A bit late getting in here this morning but I had to go over to the "Very Big Medical Group" for a blood draw. I was supposed to go out to breakfast with my Granddaughter (My son was going to come as well) after that. When I got to my son's house, he said that the plans had changed. His better half has him frantically cleaning house today because a realtor was coming to the house this afternoon to check it out for them. They are looking to buy a much larger home over in the next county (just a few miles away) and will be putting theirs up on the market. So instead I got to spend a couple of hours playing with the granddaughter while he cleaned the house. We were both happy with the change........

Now I have to get over to the dentist..... Not as much fun.

Later!
 
We just got in.

At one point things were very hairy with my father-in-law. He continued to fight with us but we started to notice it was not in his usual way. Also he was saying some off the wall stuff and would not respond to our questions. After we go the kids off to school I tried to get a hold of his doctor’s office again with no success as apparently the office staff neglected to turn the phones on. Found that gem out from the answering service. I spoke with my father-in-law one more time and he got unusually argumentive but not with me. It was like he was talking to someone else. At that point I told my wife I did not like the situation and called 911. We were able to get him to walk downstairs where we meet the EMT’s. They took him to the hospital. As I feared he had a stroke. He is in the hospital and it appears to not be life threatening at this time. He is having trouble speaking and with some motor skills. There has been some improvement since this morning as some of his speech returned and he was able to follow some commands.

Right now we are in wait and see mode as they will evaluate him over the next few days.
 
Afternoon, Everyone.

Been just ducking in and out the last few days. Finally found a decent car for number one daughter after looking at about 15 car lots. If you want a big pickup or SUV, now's the time to get one but it's a bad time to be looking for a cheap gas saver. We got a 2002 Chevy Cavalier with 80,000 miles for $4700 out the door. It was owned until it had 60,000 mile by the "little old lady" from Anniston, Alabama. Literally. She took it back to the dealer every 3,000 miles for service until she sold it at 60,000 miles. Number one and I just got through washing and waxing it. It was 85 dgrees today so I'm a little hot right now. :)

Corey, I think we talked when things were looking really bad that my whole life has been one of one door closing and one door opening. I've doubted God many times with some of the things I've been through but it was all part of His plan. I hope the job in your hometown works out better than the one in Minneapolis. I've lived through those 45 minute commutes for too many years.

Tom, I hope your dad is doing better. From the symptoms, it sounds like the flu but older people are also at risk for pneumonia. If you can, try to force him to drink as much fluid as he can. Dehydration is what will put him in the hospital.

Howdy, Carl, sounds like the rain stopped at least. It still sounds odd to hear CN when you are in Iowa. I think we should start taking over Canadian railroads to pay them back. :D

Steve, I hiked up the old El Camino Real at El Chorro about 10 years ago. It's supposed to be officially closed now but you can still get to it by crossing the railroad bridge. Better be quick about it though, since there seemed to be a train every 5 minutes. As you can see in the video, the old trail is not maintained and is even worse than when I was there. It's a tough hike and not one for those afraid of heights. :eek:

Ray, blood draws and the dentist in one day doesn't sound like a lot of fun. At least you got to play with your granddaughter.

Rex, glad to see you got back safe and sound from camping. How is the pry bar work coming?

Hello to everyone else I missed. I need to take a shower before I "fall out". Rex, CJ, and the rest of my fellow Alabamians will know what I mean. :)
 
Wrell, I godd homb fwom da dentisht...... He was supposed to do a crown on one side and fix two broken teeth on the other side today. When I got in the chair I told him that the bicuspid between the two cracked teeth was acting up again..... I thought the crown had come loose again. last time he said that he was giving up on it if it came loose one more time and I would have one for the tooth fairy. (That tooth I split in two over 35 years ago - 4:45 on a Friday night. It has been filled, rebuilt, crowned, and finally had to have a root canal a couple years ago.) He pulled on it and wiggled it and said that the crown wasn't loose. Then he squeezed good and hard and got pus out of it. So after a couple of x-rays and much deliberation he decided to go in a drain the infection while he was filling the tooth next to it. Novocain is just now wearing off but I can tell you I didn't feel a thing. Of course now it is very tender.... He wants to see me again to check out if that worked in 2 weeks. So no crown done today.... that will have to be rescheduled after I know about the infection and whether I get to keep the tooth or not.

So later this afternoon I worked on the wood pile and managed to get the biggest part of the trunk cut up into splittable hunks. Split and stacked a couple wheelbarrow fulls so at least I accomplished something.

I then went down to work on the layout for a while. I am trying to hook up some building wiring. Managed to whack my head under the layout several times. My head has been taking a beating all day......

Just another great day in retirement. ;) ;):rolleyes: :D
 
05-01-2008

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png
:eek:
Buffet.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png

Menu3.png
waitress3.png
 


Good morning.

I'll have biscuits and gravy this morning.


Currently it's 63 under a clear sky. The expected high is 83 with partly cloudy conditions.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 5/1/2008


Wind Chill: 61°F
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 58°F

So Far Today
High: 65°F
Low: 62°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 8mph NNE

Today High: 82
Partly sunny. Highs in the lower 80s. South winds 10 to 20 mph.

Tonight Low: 68
Mostly cloudy. Lows in the upper 60s. South winds 10 to 20 mph.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning Bill & Jeffrey ! Another cold morn. here on the Niagara Frontier , It's sunny now but I guess were in for a bit of rain . I 'll try to enjoy the morning and hope that everyone else has a nice morning and day also !@!@!@ Tom parying that your father in law will get better soon. Ray looks like you had a fun day yesterday ! A dentiist visit can be fun or not !
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning folks

As I drove in to the office this morning the temperature was 47 F on its way to 62 F. we may get some rain later today.

There is no real change in my FIL’s condition since yesterday afternoon. He is still having troubling making coherent statements although he can now vocalize enough to get his point across. He was still having some problems with moving his hands and arms on command. He did tell everyone that he was hungry. They are running more tests on him and will be keeping a close eye on him for a few days.

No modeling last night. We did go to the Cub Scout den meetings which was a good thing. My wife’s meeting was very productive. She had boys working on three different Webelos Activity Badges at the same time. It was a good diversion.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Morning, Bill, Ray, Tom, and Jeffrey. Up early today for some reason. Maybe I can sneak down to the basement and get a set of new traffic lights wired up before my wife wakes up and finds other vital tasks that have to be done first. :)

Tom, I'm also praying that your dad will be restored to health. Sounds like it could be any number of things now. The testing should give you a better picture and him wanting to eat is always a good sign.

Ray, sounds like a real fun day at the dentist. :( And then you went out and cut and stacked wood? I would have gone to bed for the rest of the day and called it quits. You must be a lot tougher than me.

Jeffrey, biscuits and gravy sound good but I should get the fruit plate. Without me even knowing it, I slowly gained 20 pounds since I moved down here. I've lost 10 pounds of it by cutting back on just about everything I eat and getting things like the senior's portion when we go out to eat. Down here, that's still a big pile of food, most of it deep fried. I have found I really like most Southern cooking so the temptation is hard to resist.

Paul, it's May. It's supposed to be warming up, even on the Niagra Frontier. Our low was 57 and we are headed for a high of about 87. We haven't had in significant rain in abut two weeks so things are starting to get a little dry. We are supposed to get a front through on Saturday which should give us some rain, I hope, but also may bring some severe storms. I'll take the rain if the front does its usual wimp out thing and doesn't blow anyone's house over.
 
Mornin' everyone!

Mouth feels much, much better this morning. I also slept like a log last night and feel slept out for the first time in a couple weeks. So I guess getting the infection out of the gum was a good thing......

Sun is shining for the moment. Low last night was 35°F. Right now it is 49° and will have a high of 56°. There will be showers this afternoon so I will head to the wood pile and stack some of that wood that was cut all night long. I do remember hearing somebody with a chain saw while I was sleeping......

Got the light Bus extended last night and the light now work at Tompson Tiles, and in the Farm House on the hill. (Just kerosine lamps out there back in '25 ya know.)

Have a good day!
 
Good morning everyone.

Overcast and rain threatening today. I am suppossed to go ride my bicycle this afternoon but if it is raining I may be heading over to a fellow modeler's house who has a few CNW locos that he wants to sell. Might actually get to run some trains. :)
 
Afternoon,,, sunny and warm here,,,
dammed squirrels have got an appointment with high velocity lead, they are eating all the song birds egg's in the garden, just had to explain to a local farmer why he should put his fire out, it was filling our workplace with smoke, i said it would be a good idea to put it out now,,, or the fire brigade would be putting it out followed by a visit from environmental services,,, he went with the first option but gave me a nice two finger salute after doing so, ha ha ha
 
Hi everyone! How about some lunch?

Well, the wife and I are expected parents of two Golden Retriever puppies that are due in late May. We should be able to bring them home the first of August. Some may think us crazy, but we have always had little friends in our family and have finally healed enough from the loss of Rusty and Mo to have some more. As I have told Carey: once you have them around for so long and then don't, it doesn't matter how many humans are around...you still feel a void in your life.

Ray: I feel for you, me and the dentist chair do not go well together. I have 4 loose front teeth that I'm trying to hang on to, but I'm sure they will have to come out before long. Wouldn't you know that two of them have crowns that were just put on about 5 years ago $$$.

Jim: the crowbar, jackhammer, and sledge hammer are back to work. I have the old yard tracks up and they and the turnouts are cleaning up well. I soak them in soapy water in the bath tub for about 24 hours. Wouldn't you know that my new yard design requires something that isn't in stock anywhere. I need two Walthers slip switches and a curve turnout. They are not expected until late May (probably will be July:( ). I still should be able to get half of it done until then.

Steve: Very good! I know the farmer has his work to do, but unlike the old days, he must consider that times have changed and he must consider everyone and everything around him.
 
correct,,,
How much have you done Rex,,, having animals around is good fun, i have enough with the rabbit, she's sat on the kids trampoline now,,, very odd animal.
 


Good afternoon folks. I took the job in my home town. The pay was at the low end of what i wanted, but it is still in range. I guess I should be happy to be employed. I'm hoping to get the townhouse we're looking at. There is a second family room with a size of about 20x16. The wife and I are negotiating the right of way as we speak. I have to share the space with her home office. I think I can manage to build something that will accommodate both needs. I'm thinking of a bigger version of the H.O.G. layout. Two or three sides will be along the walls, then a free standing section to close it up. I'm going to build it in sections so I can move it in the future. I know I'll have to duck under to get in the middle, but I'm still young enough to handle it. Yeah trains!

I hope everyone has a good day! I think I'll have a celebration/birthday beverage!
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top