Coffee Shop Part 10

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Jeffrey, biscuits and gravy sound good but I should get the fruit plate. Without me even knowing it, I slowly gained 20 pounds since I moved down here. I've lost 10 pounds of it by cutting back on just about everything I eat and getting things like the senior's portion when we go out to eat. Down here, that's still a big pile of food, most of it deep fried. I have found I really like most Southern cooking so the temptation is hard to resist.
Yeah, we've learned to deep fry everything but salad!:D
 
Yea! Way to go Corey.
The pay may be at the low end up front, but I would bet it still evens out better than the big city commute and all the hassles. Besides, if it is what you can live on, then happiness always comes first. Big pay and bad conditions never work out very long. Been there! ;)

Steve: I have barely got past the the destruction of the old yard. I should be able to start the new yard in earnest within the next day or so. :)

Jeffrey: Deep fried salad. Hmmmm! Where did I put the lard:eek:

Edit: Darn I have forgotten to show off the wife's fish stringer. This is the first of several that we caught while camping. These are Crappie (crop-ee) and have delicious white flaky meat.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Steve you folks must take that smoke free workplace seriously over there....... Was he burning trash or wood? "Who hath not smelled wood smoke....." (Baden Powell)

Corey congratulations! I know you made the good decision on this one. I think you and your family will do well and be happy in this.

Rex what time is supper served, I'll bring a potato salad (My grandmother's recipe - around here it is renowned!) and some Finger Lakes Wine.
 
savannahlandermorningtea.jpg


G'day guys I thought i'd share this picture with you all.

These are a pair of 2000 class railomotors, owned by Queensland Rail, operated by Cairns Kuranda steam railway on behalf of QR on the Savannahlander rail trip, which runs around 900km return to Forsayth in North Western Queensland over four days on some of the oldest rail laid in QLD! Some of this rail dates to around 1900, and alot of it is still the original rail!

From memory it is 40lb rail pictured and from this point on its 40lbs to the end of the line at forsayth and gets heavier as it gets closer to Cairns.

In this picture we are stopped for morning tea on day two of our journey, and also for a staff exchange ( a form of safe working here in QLD)

www.savannahlander.com.au is the website for it, If your ever in North QLD go on this trip!
 
Good Morning James & Bill , A bit of rain here but at least it has warmed up a bit. Gonna get up to 63 today and 74 tomorrow. I eve had the lawnmower out yesterday . Well gotta go get the daughter off to school so hope all have a nice day !!!! Corey congratulations on the new job . Wish you and your wife all the best !!! Steve what kind of squrrels you got there ? The English Reds or The American Greys? If they are the Greys shoot them down with all my blessing . They are nothing but rodents with bushy tails . Rex nice catch I'll bring the potato salad and forks ! James it looks like a real nice ride and country you got there !
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning folks

It was 50 F and overcast as I rolled onto the clogged highways this morning. High today will be 73 F with a slight chance of some boomers.

Not much happened last night. We are still waiting to hear about what is going on with my FIL. Apparently one doctor said something to him about it being a heart attack. Of course this is one of his doctors that we do not trust. My wife spent all afternoon trying to get a hold of the doctor but he never returned her calls. My wife visited her father and he is doing better. She said he was talking well and the droopiness on the right side of his face was not as bad. They could not do the MRI since he is claustrophobic.

This weekend will be busy. Tonight my son is going to a 50’s Dance at school. This is his first dance. Tomorrow we are taking our Cub Scout Pack to the Elmwood Park Zoo. As one of our pack community service projects the boys collected loose change and adopted a bald eagle at the zoo. Tomorrow we get to see it and have a session with the keepers. Sunday is softball practice and baseball game.

I need to tidy up the layout. I also want to start adding some details to the Farm House Area. If all else fails maybe I will inventory my locos.

Neat photo James!

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Good morning folks! It's a gloomy day in the land of 10,000 lakes. If any of you people have seen the sun, let it know that we miss it! Things are moving pretty fast around my world. Excitement is in the air. Our family is very happy that we are moving home. No more three hour drives for the holidays!

I'm trying to resist the urge to build a layout that's bigger than what is practical. I am excited, however, that I can more faithfully represent my home town in model form. It's handy that I'll live in the area that I'm going to model. I think I'm going to join the historical society so I can have unlimited access to their archives.

I'm glad everyone is doing well. Tom, I hope your father-inlaw comes through everything okay. I also hope you get things straightened out with his doctor.

Thanks again to everyone for the well wishes. I think it's going to be a better year than expected!
 


Morning everyone.

Pouring rain here....again. We have way more than we currently need so the farmers can't even plant in some areas. I sure hope we get a dryspell here soon.

No rain yesterday so I put in 3.5 hours of bike riding. :D Keeps me at ease with the work stress.
 
Good morning.

It's very cloudy and 73 degrees here. We're expecting a high of 81 with a fair chance of thunderstorms later today.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 5/2/2008


Heat Index: 77°F
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 68°F

So Far Today
High: 74°F
Low: 73°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 25mph S

Today High: 85 Partly cloudy with isolated showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 80s. South winds 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent.

Tonight Low: 68 Mostly cloudy with scattered showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the upper 60s. South winds 10 to 15 mph becoming southeast after midnight. Chance of rain 50 percent.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Mornin' everyone!

Currently 56°F here in the Finger Lakes with a predicted high of 63° later. It is also a very dark dreary day out there with showers in the forecast for most of the day. Looks to be a good day to work inside.

Carl I have been to Waterloo, Iowa once in my lifetime. Rode out there in a boxcar containing 14 Guernseys. I was honored by the NYS Guernsey Breeders Assoc. to be a herdsman with the NYS Guernsey Herd back in 1965. There had been a major flood at the fairgrounds where the National Cattle Show was held. There was still standing water behind a couple of the barns and puddles everywhere. I always thought that Waterloo, IA was always wet........ Actually that trip rekindled my interest in Railroads back when I was in college.

Hope all of you have a great day!
 
Carl I have been to Waterloo, Iowa once in my lifetime. Rode out there in a boxcar containing 14 Guernseys. I was honored by the NYS Guernsey Breeders Assoc. to be a herdsman with the NYS Guernsey Herd back in 1965. There had been a major flood at the fairgrounds where the National Cattle Show was held. There was still standing water behind a couple of the barns and puddles everywhere. I always thought that Waterloo, IA was always wet........ Actually that trip rekindled my interest in Railroads back when I was in college.

Hope all of you have a great day!

We usually do have some pretty damp spring weather but this year has been especially wet due to near record snow in January and February followed by record rain falls in April. Rivers just can't handle all of it.

The National Cattle Show used to be a pretty big deal around here. When I was growing up I remember that they lasted for 10-14 days each year and now it is only 3-4 days long.
 
It's holiday weekend here so everyone is going away for a long weekend,,, not. The roads are stuffed, there has been at least three very serious crashes on two major routes,,, I never go away during holiday times,,, it's impossible as your stuck nose to tail with millions of other people in traffic hell,,, stuff that, i'll be happy at home.

The guy was burning green tree cuttings and fresh plant matter from the garden centre,,, and i mean tons of it, what a bloody big clouds he was making, it covered around three square miles it white smog, we are only 400 yards away from it, hence the action :)

Rex, thats a fine haul of fish, they are very similar to our Perch,,,

i may go fishing if i can get a rod license,,, thats correct, you have to have a licence to use a fishing rod, they you have to have a license to fish wherever you go,,, its all money money money
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The guy was burning green tree cuttings and fresh plant matter from the garden centre,,, and i mean tons of it, what a bloody big clouds he was making, it covered around three square miles it white smog, we are only 400 yards away from it, hence the action :)

I see. You were just trying to breathe...........;) Around here, we still have a lot of people out in the country that still burn their trash. Cardboard, plastic, and other nasty stuff even though it has been illegal for years. The stink will carry for miles. Wood smoke I don't mind, but plastic ans other trash......:mad:
 
Yes i totally agree, very anti social behavior by a minority, it's normally the travelers / gypsy's / bums who do it here, stuff like old tires and so on.

We went out earlier today and almost ran a cat down, i said it won't be doing that to often before it's nine lives are up,,, i just went to the shops and found the poor thing flat on the road only yards from were we saw it this morning, i hope it wasn't me who cursed it to an early demise.

signs of warm weather behind our house, the bluebells are gorgeous
10-08-07robert2008.jpg
 
I got word today that one of my cousins died in a car accident yesterday. That's my father's brother's oldest son. Hec was only a year younger than I am and we always got along well together. I'm gonna be off for a little while. I need some time.
 
Afternoon, everyone.

Late today, had to get the cat to the vets for a visit for diarrhea (YUCK!), went to our version of the DMV to get number one daughter's car registered, and had to do some filter and water changes on the aquarium. It always seems to be about 4:00 pm before I get everything done.

Rex, nice line of crappies there. My wife is the fisherperson in the family. We are going to a friend's house for a cookout next Sunday and he has a three acre lake that is supposed to have a lot of crappies and bass. She's out looking for new fishing rod now. She used to really enjoy fishing with her daddy before he passed away so she's excited about it. I'm the worlds worst at fishing. I can fish just fine in salt water off the back of a sailboat but I can't catch fish in lakes worth a darn. I just sit there all day and nothing happens. :) Steve, here, it's $15 for a freshwater fishing license and the only added cost for the pole is sales tax.

James, welcome to the coffee shop - have a Vegemite sandwich on me. :) Nice picture of that railcar - any idea who made it and when. I must say the motorman has a lot more courage than me if the rest of the trackage looks like what's in the picture. :eek:

Corey, I think you'll be a lot happier close to home even if you earn a little less. Take a deep breath when you get in your new place before you start cutting lumber for benchwork though.

Tom, those symptoms just don't sound consistent with a heart attack. It's much more consistent with a stroke. Do they have any place that does open MRI's around there? The patient doesn't have to go through that tunnel and it's well tolerated by people who can't take a closed MRI. If this is a stroke, it's really important they get a picture of exactly what's happening inside his brain. I hope he's doing OK, at least for now.

Carl, we are starting to get a little too dry again down here. I'm hoping the same storm system that will go through Jeffrey's place today will give us some decent rain without causing all the wind and tornado damage that is has further north.

Ray and Steve, there are no laws covering burning whatever you want as long as you are in a county area outside city limits. People typically burn all their trash, plant clipping, any old tires they don't want, and Lord only knows what else. Luckily, the county area starts north of me so I don't often get the smoke but it sometimes looks like half the world's on fire. The only law is the property owner is supposed to control the fire so it doesn't get in the woods but it often does anyway and they don't fine the property owner to recover the cost of fire fighting. Dumb situation.

Steve, you won't believe this, but your fine picture of those bluebells and the woods greening up looks like it could have been taken in my woods a month ago. I'm really surprised at how much that picture looks like Alabama in the spring. Too bad about the cat. I don't know why some of them insist on running right into the road in front of me when I'm the only car around for miles. Must be something instinctive.

It's a warm day here with a high of 85 and increasing clouds from the cold front that should come through tomorrow. Our humidity is still really low at 34% and the dew point ins only 50 degrees, neither of which bode well for much rain unless the atmosphere moistens up a lot. this part of the same complex of storms that caused deaths from tornados in Arkansas so everyone here is a little nervous but this looks like another system that will bomb out on use before it gets here.
 


Jeffrey, we were posting at the same time. Sorry to hear about your sad news and I hope God gives you comfort.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top