Coffee Shop Number 16

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's residual effects from a car he had many years ago, it vented clouds of noxious exhaust directly into the driver's seat.:eek:
 
Hey guys!

Busy weekend for me. First I had to do a lot of yard work on Saturday morning, then in the evening my wife and I got together with some friends for a cookout. We try to get together at least once a month, it's fun.

Then today we had our former youth minister who will be singing a few songs at my daughters wedding over for a lunch time cookout. His wife and two little girls were with him. It was really good to see him and his family. We had never meet his little girls and had not seen him or his wife for about two years. Pretty hard to beat good food and good friends in my opinion:cool:

I did get to mess with the trains just a little today. I think I got that noise figured out. You see, I have been experimenting with different ways to fasten the track and roadbed down. I decided I like the idea of gluing the roadbed with that latex caulk, I think it works out nicely myself. So then I was messing around with the track, those little nails are a pain, so I tried gluing the track with the same caulk. It worked real well but that is when the noise showed up. I removed the caulk and tried the nails again, no noise. So then I removed the track and tried the caulk again, then the noise was back. So I removed the track again and I removed the cork roadbed and laid some of that foam roadbed. That stuff is pretty nice in my newbie opinion. I laid the track on top of the foam and no noise. So I glued the track down with the caulk and after about two hours I have no noise. So I have decided that either there is a problem with caulk and cork or my cork was old and dry so the caulk was holding the track down so well the vibration of the trains was causing the noise:confused: Heck i don't know, all I do know is with foam and caulk my trains are really quiet right now.:D

Well I will talk with you guys later, going to look around the forum a bit and then hit the sack...:cool:
 


Hiya gang!
Been a wild weekend, kids coming over, trips to visit Pop at the hospital, plus attending the FCSME meeting! Busy busy! Thank goodness NO honeydoos!

Chris: You started something big and it is escalating out of control. You know there is a lot of BS on this forum...duck...here comes another one.:eek:

Chris.....behave, else I build a trebuchet and start hurling diapers.....from the old folks home!!!! :eek:

Speaking of old folks, Dad is getting out of the hospital tomorrow. They've reset his meds, kept him on O2 and steroids for 4 days, and he looks great and is quite alert! :D Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. I'm sure there was a prayer or two in there also!!:) I'll be waiting for the call from the DR. when they kick him out.

Jeff, Glad to see your Dad is out and about.....I'f he's anything like mine, you may consider some sort of restraints to force him to take it easy for awhile!

Jim Sorry dude, 1 garage cleaning is about all this old boy can take. Besides I've seen your garage! :eek: (Thats where I found Chris at the last party, leaning over the open trunk of a car, evacuating his gut of excess beer!) You might want to entertain the idea of a controlled burning???

Rex Sorry about the influx of honey do's. Don't post too many completed honey do projects ok? I don't want Janice to get any ideas!

Well, the hungries are getting the better of me......time to go shake the icebox!!
 
I think it's residual effects from a car he had many years ago, it vented clouds of noxious exhaust directly into the driver's seat.:eek:

That was the 1980 LTD, Man that was the funniest thing!.................I Can't See!:D I had a funnier thing that happened to the family in Mississssssippi! Involved My SIL high on pain meds and a drive to a casino on the river:eek: My son in the jeep squeeks out, "We're all going to die!" That was the last time we get in a vehical with her:mad:
 
Good morning folks

It was a bright and sunny 53 F when I left this morning. Our high today will be 75 F.

It was a crazy weekend. My wife worked both days at her new summer job at the Brandywine Zoo. I did some work around the house including mowing the lawn and fixing a few minor things such as loose fence posts and tightening bolts on the swing.

My son survived his school camping trip. Actually he had a great time. Friday night we went to the Boy Scout Court of Honor where he received his Scout Badge. It was a great time.

I did get to the basement for a little while and cleaned up around the layout. I can’t believe how stuff just seemed to appear on the floor around it. Now I can get to the layout without stretching across bins of Christmas decorations. Some of the stuff got put there when I had to move it for access to the water heater.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Good morning.

It's 64 and partly cloudy. The high should be around 90 and it will be partly cloudy.

Finally got the tools and debris cleared off the layout yesterday so maybe I can get down to some running of the trains later. I have to mow my sisters yard this morning as there's rain due for the next couple of days. I'll probably be going to Alexandria later to raid Hobby Lobby. The LHS isn't open on Monday. On the foot surgery thing I'm considering having it done.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 6/1/2009

Wind Chill: 63°F
Humidity: 94%
Dew Point: 61°F

So Far Today
High: 70°F
Low: 63°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 0mph NNE

Today High: 88 Sunny. Highs in the upper 80s. Southeast winds around 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 68 Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 60s. East winds 5 to 10 mph.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/P4060081.jpg
 
Good morning folks.

I noticed a funny smell coming from the coffee shop this weekend. I decided to stay away!

I spent the whole day yesterday babysitting my niece and nephew. Well, my wife watched them while I helped! I was bored so I cleaned my sister in law's car from top to bottom. Holy crap, that car is only two years old and has hardly been cleaned. Granted, they have a two year old and a four month old. Not exactly a lot of free time. I was happy to do it.

No trains this weekend. I have a three day week then I'm off to Vegas for my other sister in laws college graduation. How convenient that she lives in Las Vegas!

Have a great day everyone.
 
Good Morning---

Got the dull and rainy skies for another day. Had a shower that made like it was a monsoon--went on for about an hour.:eek::eek: Sumps kicked in on a 10 minute cycle--it least we're high enough here that we don't quite end up in the second range;);) Highs for the week seem to be in the upper 'teens/low twenties.

Having "fun" replacing wheelsets on all 200+ pieces of rolling stock so that there is a bit of consistency going on here---I've even found a Reading hopper that had European(?) truck sides on the dang thing. Where'd this come from I have NO idea--:confused::confused::confused::eek:

Tom My trainroom seems to be the storage room around here---I'm always asking Audrey, or even myself, "Where did such and such go?" or even more frequently-" What's this when it's at home?" I'm making up a law in this house that my trainroom is my trainroom NOT an everything room--:D:D:D

Chris I've a friend who sounds like your SIL in the driving sense. He has a thing about those alley ways behind houses and going 60+ mph up them:eek::eek:---he even placed a skidplate under a 76 Volare station wagon he had. Man, that was a scary car----:eek:
 
Afternoon everyone.

I've often wondered what too many years of Testors glue and paint fumes can do. I think I'm getting the picture now. :)

Tony, sounds like you had a good weekend. I suspect your noise issue is cork roadbed that's dried out. You can sometimes restore the flexibility by soaking it overnight in a bucket of water but sometimes it's just too old to ever be flexible again. I really like the WS foam roadbed and have found it superior to even new cork when it comes to flexibility and noise suppression.

Karl, I'm glad to hear your dad is getting out of the hospital. I wondered what that awful smell was coming from engine. Heck, it's taken me about two days to just get rid of the beer cans that someone left scattered all over the place. :)

Chris, the mind picture of SIL driving gave me a good laugh. Sounds like she's her own version of the Blues Brothers. I had a 1976 IH Scout the leaked so much oil onto the exhaust headers that I could only drive about 20 miles before I got woozy. Never could get the danged thing to stop leaking no matter what I did.

Tom, you have a basement like mine. Now that the garage is too full, other mysterious items keep showing up there, always right in front of the layout. The women keep telling me it's the cat's fault. :D

Jeffrey, I hope, whatever you decide, that it helps your foot.

Corey, now that you mention it, I haven't done a cleaning on my car in about two years either, One of those thing I keep meaning to get to but don't. Have fun in Vegas. It's one of my favorite places to spend a few days, kind of like an adult Disneyworld. If you can tear yourself away from the casinos, The UP has a big yard and servicing facility not far from the downtown casino area. Probably best not wander around there at night though. The neighborhood is not safe. :eek:

BOC, you got all 200+ cars done? I recently replaced all my wheels sets on about 60 cars and was ready for a few relaxing days in a psych hospital. :D How many wheels ended up flying across the room as put them in? I'm sure I have a few wheel sets in the basement somewhere I haven't found yet.

Now worries about rain here. It's 94 degrees with a few cumulus clouds and no wind. This would be a tough time to be a garden railroader. Might have a chance of some rain Thursday but the general pattern is now starting to look dry again, just as we were getting a little ahead on the drought. I see GM finally filed bankruptcy. I guess it's a good thing that GM sold off EMD in 2005 or they'd be stuck in the GM bankruptcy also. The stock market is way up so I guess having the largest industrial bankruptcy in history is a good thing. I have no idea why I wasted time taking economics in college. I could have taken Art and had fun painting naked girls. :)
 


Hello --

Got some of those dang wheelsets done. I'm about halfway through the 200 freight cars that need done. Next on the 'gotta do' list is to see whether i need to replace ALL the couplers or I just need to replace only 505 of 'em. I know that 34 of 'em need replacement. And most seem to be body mounted Kadee's---at least they say they're Kadee---Jim I think I lost about 30 sets so far---thankfully I found 20 of 'em.;)

Jim You took econ too? Isn't this period just weird? Everything I thought was the case is now all coocoo---I'd agree with you on that one ---art school is starting to be more sane---:rolleyes::D:D:D

Chris So. where'd you hide now?:eek: Did it get too deep?:D:D:D
 
BOC, it's remarkable the force that's applied to getting a wheelset into a truck and how one wrong move converts it to a flying object. :) I had to chase mine all over the place. I finally learned to place a small square of styrene over the truck when I got one side of the wheelset in. That at least stopped the errant ones from flying so far.

Yes, I wasted my time taking economics too. Nothing happening today makes any sense compared to what I learned. It's hard to imagine the market going up 221 points on the day GM files bankruptcy. I'll make a prediction now. Obama has gotten himself into quicksand with GM and Chrysler. They will both have to produce what the goernment wants, not what the market wants. Neither company can make money until they start selling cars. Until (and if) that happens, the government will have to keep pouring more money in to keep them afloat. At some point, this quicksand will swallow Obama whole.
 
Bad news on the home front today. My mother had a stroke this afternoon while I was gone to Alexandria. My father found her on the back porch and called 911. She was transported by ambulance to Byrd ER where they stabilized her and got her ready for transfer to Rapides General in Alexandria. She's in transit at this time. At the moment she's unresponsive and is on a ventilator. My sister and I went to the ER in her car. She's taking my father to Rapides General. I brought my parents car home and am now awaiting word on my mother's condition.

On a positive note I raided Hobby Lobby today. I picked up two new covered hoppers (I really like those things for some reason), two tubes of Testor's cement (red tube, the blue tube stuff is crap), two bottles of Model Master flat black paint, a set of three rail color paint markers (rail brown, rail tie brown, rust), a pack of 6 white background Testor's decal sheets, a tube of Testor's contour putty and a can of Testor's decal bonder spray.
 
Jeffery; Hey man, hope you mom will be okay! Keep us posted when you have time...

I'll make a prediction now. Obama has gotten himself into quicksand with GM and Chrysler. They will both have to produce what the goernment wants, not what the market wants. Neither company can make money until they start selling cars. Until (and if) that happens, the government will have to keep pouring more money in to keep them afloat. At some point, this quicksand will swallow Obama whole.

Jim; I am going to have to agree with you on this one. Plus the fact that our country as a whole is just in bad shape and getting worse almost by the day.:(

I had a busy day at work today, I am pretty beat right about now. Just did some general fussing around with the trains tonight for about an hour. Going to hit the sack shortly.

Talk to you all later...:D
 
I'll make a prediction now. Obama has gotten himself into quicksand with GM and Chrysler. They will both have to produce what the goernment wants, not what the market wants. Neither company can make money until they start selling cars. Until (and if) that happens, the government will have to keep pouring more money in to keep them afloat.
Remember Conrail?
 


Okay Chris, DOWN BOY!

Jeff: sorry to hear that about your mother.

So today I fixed a couple old structures that will play run down buildings. Started to work on another kit, but the paint I have is shot. Guess it is time to look into getting something to run through the airbrush!

Some rain would be nice. The grass at my grandma's is starting to die, but at least it isn't way over grown. Couple parts here could use some water too. I am ready for winter, there is less yard work to do then!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top