Coffee Shop Number 16

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Alco, sounds like a great vacation. The blackjack tables at the Atlantis in the Bahamas started at $15 a hand and most were $25 or $100 a hand. Amazingly, the tables were all packed. I guess the recession hasn't hit everyone. I played quarter video poker and came out a little ahead, which wasn't bad considering the miserable pay tables they had. The Saluda Geade is a pretty amazing place. Has the NS finished pulling up all the rails yet? There was talk of making the Grade into a tourist railroad but, the last I heard, the plans fell through and the NS has been removing all the tracks.


Nope not from what I gathered from the locals...tracks not coming up. They say it is staying and will be active again....we shall see. Something about the new technology for electric breaking systems....we shall see. I drove along a lot of the line in various areas. No signs of tracks being ripped up.
 
Good Evenin'---

Nice and sopping wet out there. We just got a multi hour deluge going on so the basement sump is now on a 1 minute cycle---sheeeesh!!:eek::eek: also had 5 hour t'under boomer show up and give us the fits this morning. Had to turn off ever't'in'!!:eek:

Jim Typical scenario---I know about this and you don't leads to fix/repair daily----and people going---:mad:
 


Evening yall,

I started to write a post here from my office ~6:20pm (edt) but there were nasty t-storms blasting thru my area, I heard a loud rumble and decided I better make the half-mile dash to my car before the torrential downpour started. Drought is definitely NOT a concern here at the moment. Then of course when I arrived home, it was suppertime followed by a list of honie deux. Now 2hrs later, I finally have some time of my own...

Grandma was discharged from the hospital today. The electroshock therapy seemed to work - for the moment. The cardio is afraid that with her aeortic stenosis (sp?) and mitral valve regurgitation, its only a matter of time before this happens again. This condition also increases the risk of stroke. She's on twice the number of medicines now that she was on before, and it's critical that she take them all on schedule. Trouble is, she absolutely distrusts the entire medical "establishment" and tries to substitute herbs and health food supplements instead of swallowing her prescribed medicines. I feel sorry for my poor wife who has to constantly look after her...:(

Jim/BOC - I've become totally anal-retentive about making sure my sump pump will run whenever any abnormal rainstorms are predicted. This includes checking my portable generator so the pump won't be without power in a deluge. It happened to a friend of mine during June 2006, we got pounded by continuous heavy rains and he lost power so his sump pump didn't run when he needed it most. He wound up getting 5 inches of water in his finished basement!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well don't look at me!

Uh Uh---I was no where's near THAT either!!:eek::eek:

Ken And if I run across the idjit who convinced them to throw the dang thing out I'll give them a lecture on that for sure---Besides---generator for stuff like sump pump VERY important if'n one is going to have monsoons--which we had two of today----both multi hour.:eek::eek:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Evening Gang!
Jeff, Glad to here your Dad is getting better!
Ken, Likewise for your MIL... Careful with that honeyduex list....:rolleyes:
Chris, DMSF??? Ewwww......at least out here in the country we do things different. We play polo with horsemuffins......so much more civilized!!:eek:
BOC. Even with a house that is on top of a hill, we're armed with dual sump pumps in the basement. The one kicks on occasionally in a bad rain. The other takes a tropical storm or hurricaine to activate!! It might be overkill, but the basement stays drier than a baby in a box of Pampers!:D
Larry. Could that truck have been a Ranchero??
ranchero.jpg


What a day! Between rainbursts I did manage to get the yard cut. With another 5 days of scattered showers in the forcast, I thought it best to knock down what I could, when I could!
The Ranger is back in fighting trim. Finally got all the front end parts and special tools required, and got a buddy of mine (Ford Mechanic) to replace all the stuff. Boy, she stops better now than she ever did!:)
Thats the good news.
Dad was admitted to the hospital today with fluid on his lungs. Not a good thing for an 83 year old. Since I was mowing, I didn't get the message until I was done, by that time, my wife had already left work at was at the hospital with him. Steroids, Lasix, nebulizer treatments and Oxygen all have been adminustered, and he actually looks pretty good by the time I saw him around 6 p.m. His lungs still make a little noise, but his color was back (he's been a little pale looking lately). They say 2-3 days before he goes back to his retirement home. Then I had to take my son to Hanover PA to buy him dress shoes (size 15), then a late dinner at Sonic befor going home. Got home and it dawned on me. We left the wife's car at the hospital :eek:!!!!! Looks like I get to take her there tomorrow before she goes to work!!
 
Evening, everyone.

I'm with Jeffrey. I was no where near the area when the DMSF started. :)

Alco, I'm glad to hear the Saluda still has a chance. The NS was actively ripping up rails in 2003 and a local group was trying to preserve the grade and run tourist trains. As far as I know, the NS hasn't had any regularly scheduled trains on the Saluda since at least 2002.

Ken, you and the other guys up there are getting all the rain now. Noting happened here today. I'm glad Grandma got successfully cardioverted but, as the doctor said, it's likely to reoccur. With mitral valve regurgitation, she's already at increased risk of a stroke and the atrial fib just makes that worse. Some people just don't trust doctors or traditional medicine. For some conditions, it doesn't really matter, since it will get better no matter what's done. In her case, she will certainly have consequences if she persists in the idea that herbs will help her type of heart problems.

BOC and Ken, I'm lucky not to have water problems in the basement but I'd have a good sump pump installed if I did. It's rare that I've seen people with an emergency generator for the sump pump but it should be required equipment. The most likely time to get real serious rain is when the power also fails. I tried to explain this to my niece, the one who wanted to plate over sump pump grate, but she would rather spend the money on something useful, like another big screen TV. :rolleyes:

Karl, I remember those old Ford Falcon Rancheros. Those things were so underpowered they could barely get out of their own way. I'm glad the Ranger's back in top notch shape but too bad that your dad isn't doing as well. Sounds like a bout of congestive heart failure, a fairly common occurrence in the elderly. It usually takes a few days to get his meds rebalanced and clear out the fluid that accumulates in the lungs. This, unfortunately, is another one of those things that's likely to reoccur so make sure he gets seen right away if he gets that pale look again.

While you guys up north got a soaking, we got absolutely nothing. Our dry air cap never eroded and we saw nothing but a few clouds and one lone thunderstorm about 40 miles south of us. I've never seen a day start out with such ideal conditions for thunderstorms and end up to be such a dud. It got up to 92 because we had so much sun. The not-so-warm front has gone through and it should be about five degrees cooler tomorrow before we get back up into the 90's for the weekend.
 
Mornin' guys, it sure gets busy around here when youdon't stop byfor a day or two:eek:

Work is really busy for me right now, got some guys and my self work a few hours overtime to get some customers done and get some back logged work caught up. Plus, I think my daughters wedding is getting close, I can tell because her and my wife are stressing and now they are asking me to do some stuff besides just pay for it:D

Hey, glad to hear all the loved ones are doing well and out of the hospital:)

Since I have been working late the past few day not only have I not been in my basement, but I was definitely not involved in the DMSF:D even though you might think I resemble that remark:D:eek::D I have an alibi!:D

Well, I have to get off to work early and try to get some more stuff caught up, might have to put in a few hours this Saturday too. Wish I could say the extra money will go into the MRR hobby, but unfortunately I am salary:(

You guys that started the DMSF, settle down and knock it off:D

Talk to you guys later...:cool:

P.S.; At least I can ride my VTX to work today:cool:
 


Hey Tony
About that Sig line....

Thinking about Freelancing the PRR, Reading, & B&O...& possibly some Western Maryland

You gotta do some "Wild Mary" its kinda the glue that makes all those other roads bind together so nicely!! :)
 
Good Morning--

Our weatherguessers are still calling for more rain today, tonight and possibly tomorrow. It got so that some streets around here are into pontoon territory now. Some od the streets got flooded b/c the streets were not cleaned yet so some of the storm drains were swallowing up all kinds of leaves instead of rainwater--:eek:

Karl, Jim One of my more eccentric friends bought one of those Rancheros then stuffed a 390 into it. It had NO problems getting out of its way then.:eek::eek: I have a '62 Comet with a 390 in that. It be pretty quick---good car for those cruise nights---:)--

Karl Hopefully the treatments will kind of help your dad. My father had that --in our case we had to get after him about his meds--:(

I've got to pick up some more X-acto blades today then it's back to the trainroom to actually do some work on the layout instead of doing other stuff. Our back yard be too wet to do anything. The dang lake grew some more and we just got some more marsh grass coming up---:eek::eek::)
 
Good morning folks

It was 55 F and wet this morning. High today will be 79 F with a chance of thunderstorms. We had some heavy rain overnight and there was some flooding. My commute was actually pretty easy this morning.

My daughter was able to get her softball game in last night.

My son will be coming home from his school camping trip today. I wonder how wet his camping was. We have a Boy Scout Court of Honor tonight. We have to make a main course for the potluck dinner part of it. Tomorrow my son has an event at local fun center that is his reward for selling more than $750 of popcorn for Cub Scouts. We also have to do the biweekly grocery store trips. Not sure if I can get any modeling in this weekend.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Good morning.

It's 60 and sunny. The high should be around 85 and it will be partly cloudy.

My father was up and around yesterday though moving quite slowly. He expects to be back at work tomorrow. I have an appointment with the foot doc at 10 this morning so I don't see much getting done on the MR front. Maybe this weekend I'll get something done.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 5/29/2009

Wind Chill: 61°F
Humidity: 90%
Dew Point: 58°F

So Far Today
High: 63°F
Low: 60°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 0mph NNE

Today High: 88 Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 80s. North winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 62 Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 60s. Northeast winds up to 5 mph.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/P5270383.jpg
 
Consumer news...

Jeffery- hope things go well at the foot doc today!

The suspense continues with the morning news. Are both GM and Chrysler going into bankrupcy? Where does that leave this petrol pumper with 3 Chevrolet vehicles and a Dodge van? Will parts and service still be avaiable?

At present, the nearest authorized Dodge dealer will be about 40 miles away and the nearest Chevrolet dealer I might trust will be about 25 miles away.

I think there will be many more people visiting their local shade-tree mechanic. And my friend with the BMW 530 is worried about the service on his car, since it is part of a Cadillac-Jeep -Chrysler auto group.

Yes, Chris, they do have a couple of paved roads in Alabama. They are part of a thriving industry here, "speed traps".

Well, everyone have a good weekend!
 
344.png


The Sun is UP!

sunset.png


I've had my coffee..............

slide1.png


I'm ready and rearing to go..............

garfield_and_coffee.png


AND...........

ItsFriday.png





P.S. - Screwjack, those VTX's are nice! I nearly bought one of the "S" models instead of my Drifter.
 
Afternoon, everyone.

Tony, weddings and funerals are about the two most stressful events families go through. I'm not looking forward to my two daughters getting hitched since they tend to be drama queens over things like where they put their car keys. :) I hope it all goes reasonably smooth. The good thing is, as the father of the bride, you get to say some embarrassing things about her at the reception. :D

BOC, I told you that you should have gotten some catfish. They'd probably be ready for harvest by now. Maybe you can start a canoe rental business. :p A 390 in a '62 Comet? They must have gotten that in with a shoehorn. I'll bet you could win a few bucks in some street drags with one though.

Tom, I remember well summer camping trips in Ohio as a kid where it rained all week. What a miserable experience.

Jeffrey, your dad actually expects to be at work tomorrow? Sounds like he's either way tougher than me or way too optimistic. :confused: Hope things go well with the foot doc.

Mikey, speed traps....in Alabama? LOL, never heard of such a thing. :rolleyes: It looks like GM files Chapter 11 Sunday night or Monday morning. The parts thing is going to be a big issue in the months ahead, especially since GM has shut down all their factories for at least the next nine weeks and parts suppliers are starting to go into bankruptcy as well. Prattville bought a flock of police cars about six months ago, half Dodge Chargers and half Chevy Impalas. How's that for lack of situational awareness? :o Our only Dodge dealer has closed down and it looks like our Chevy dealer may be on the whack list also. That means taking patrol cars 20 miles away to Montgomery for service, assuming the parts are available. As you say, this will be a great opportunity of independent mechanics as long as they can scrounge parts too. There are a lot of unintended consequences ahead for the auto industry in the next year or so.

Phillip, you look good in those pajamas. :eek:

Just partly cloudy here today with a temperature of 85 and much lower humidity, which is a relief. Temperatures will crank up again by tomorrow and it looks like the start of real summer for us. I think I'm more or less recovered from the vacation. I wonder why, as I get older, every vacation makes me feel like I've run a marathon afterwards? Maybe it's the old part that's to blame. :(
 
The suspense continues with the morning news. Are both GM and Chrysler going into bankrupcy? Where does that leave this petrol pumper with 3 Chevrolet vehicles and a Dodge van? Will parts and service still be avaiable?

As of noon today, GM stock was selling at 88 cents a share........what a bargain!!!:mad:

I wondered about that breifly with 2 GM cars, but then forgot about it almost as quickly. A lot of the slack will be taken up by the aftermarket and independent shops. The dealers who have gotten the axe already will be gone, but the rest will still be there, struggling to compete. Chrysler and GM both will survive. It will be tough, but with taxpayer money, they will go on.

Hey, since the current plan is that taxpayers will "own" 78% of each company, maybe they should be melded together and will can bring back the old American Motors moniker! :rolleyes:

Thank goodness my truck is a FORD! :D


Oh pardon me, does my sarcasm show???:confused::rolleyes::D
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've been tied up today with a morning doctors appointment then a couple of errands in town, lunch at BJ's Diner then getting some things taken care of for my father. I took some time during the errands to go to Wal-mart to get a new pillow. My old one is pretty flat. I got it back when papa Bush was president. I also picked up this handy hand lantern.


P5290390.jpg



P5290389.jpg
 


Hello people--

Boy, talk about a funny day--all kinds of people gittin' irritated about tax dollars going to a bankrupt. or is it two?, firm(s). One fellow at a coffee shop I frequent got into a fist fight with another over this thing so I sorta deked on out of there and went for a quiet stroll by Springbank Park----A nice mellow roast coffee and and a stroll along a good stretch of quiet park path---does one wonders. I know of a coupla guys who got a lot of business lately b/c of all this---

oh, and I got some pix that I'll be attempting to post over the next few days of our little quarry complex-----

Karl You? Sarcastic?---NAH!!:D:D:D I could see the thing kind of going that way that you mentioned. Would someone hold the copyright to the AMC moniker even now?

Jim Any Catfish we'd have would be gone b/c we have about three little fur bearing fellows who just LOVE fish:D---as for canoe business--I'm starting to wonder:eek::D:D

Back into the trainroom with me----heeheehee:D:D:D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top