Coffee Shop Number 16

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Ken My layout has its own room, her idea not mine but I readily agreed. I think my grandson will be the one to get me going again all I need is for someone to come out and help me get started installing the Super Empire Builder system. I am not sure on where to start, When I wired up the DC system I had already completed a small layout and the larger one was a natural for me. I started on the DCC system and it did not work, became friustrated and put it back in the box where it now sits. I have taken the (I think it is a DT400 or something like that) controller to a friends layout for an op session and really liked using it,
It's pretty simple, if you oversimplify it...
Put all the leads from one rail on the "Track A" post, and all the leads from the second rail to the "Track B" post. Turn it on, and watch your trains run. You can set up districts later. This is the voice of experience talking, I just a couple of months ago got my layout separated into districts.
 
Good evening folks

It has been a rough and expensive day. Trying to get to work was a nightmare. There was a serious accident on I-476, my normal way to work. At one I-476 was backed-up for 12 miles. This lead to gridlock on all the back ways. Once I got to work the fun continued as I had to douse the flames of several crisis. Of course I had to leave at lunch time so that I could get home to meet the plumber so he could replace our water heater. We now have hot water.

This evening I had to build a nightstand for my daughter that my wife bought.

Here are a couple of shots I took at the New Oxford, PA train station on our way home from Gettysburg on Monday.

Gettysburg_2009128.jpg


Gettysburg_2009130.jpg


I hope everybody has a good evening.
 


HI guys!

Well I got back from Brevard, NC. I did some flyfishing on Saturday and Sunday. Went to the Cherokee Harrah Casino Saturday nite and played a little blackjack. Started with 40 bucks on the 10 dollar table and walked away with 180...not bad doubt I would ever be that lucky again. Then went to the White Squirrel Festival Sunday and Steep Canyon Rangers concert. Monday I went to Biltmore estates. Saw a lot there and did the winery and bought 2 cases of wine. Then I went to the movies and saw Angels & Demons. On Tuesday I ventured out and explored the surrounding towns and what not. I went to a place called Saluda where that location is said to be the steepest grade in the US for standard gauge RR. Very interesting place. Later Ihit 4 hobby shops and only picked up 3 box cars. Two of them were Rail Runner series for Cotton Belt and Western Pacific and the third one was a standard BB Athearn RI boxcar. Got home late last night and went to work today. I am off to bed now talk to yall later hope you guys had a good Memorial Day weekend and remembered those who gave us the freedoms and rights we have today.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Evening, everyone.

LOL, Phillip, I see that picture was before you got your computer system upgraded. :)

Ken, I hope the cardioversion went OK with the MIL. Atrial fibrilation can usually be treated with medication although some people eventually need an implantable defibrillator to solve the problem.

Chris, glad to hear the wife is back home. The diet will be a problem for a while but I'm sure she'll be able to handle it. No more belly buster burgers for her, I'm afraid. :(

BOC, you mean like a sailboat bilge pump? They are pretty good at keeping your boat from sinking but emptying out a basement full of water would take about a week, assuming the bilge pump didn't burn up before then. I wonder why someone living in a house with a basement that floods wouldn't have a decent sump pump system or something logical like that. Never mind, that was a rhetorical question. :D

Larry, as has been said, hooking up the DCC controller is a piece of cake. If you already have a wiring bus, just bring the wires back to the controller just like it was a DC powerpack. If you need power districts, they are easy to add on later. Once you have power to the tracks, the Super Empire Builder does all the work. It's fun once you get into setting all those CV's for your engines. ;)

Jeffrey, we were lucky and missed all the storms here today. I think we are going to get a pasting Thursday though.

Tom, I'm so glad I'm retired. :eek: Nice pictures of the Pennsy bobber and the young Civil War vet. :cool:

Alco, sounds like a great vacation. The blackjack tables at the Atlantis in the Bahamas started at $15 a hand and most were $25 or $100 a hand. Amazingly, the tables were all packed. I guess the recession hasn't hit everyone. I played quarter video poker and came out a little ahead, which wasn't bad considering the miserable pay tables they had. The Saluda Geade is a pretty amazing place. Has the NS finished pulling up all the rails yet? There was talk of making the Grade into a tourist railroad but, the last I heard, the plans fell through and the NS has been removing all the tracks.

It's a warm, muggy evening here as all the storms have gone to bed for the night. Everything is in place for a pretty good outbreak of severe weather tomorrow. After all the complaining about not enough rain, we are ready for a break for a while.
 
Chris, glad to hear the wife is back home. The diet will be a problem for a while but I'm sure she'll be able to handle it. No more belly buster burgers for her, I'm afraid. :(

Well I'll send you her BBB!:D:rolleyes: It's a shame too, that is my most requested dinner i cook:(
 
Good morning.

It's 69 and partly cloudy. The high will be around 85 and it will be partly cloudy.

My father is now back home and resting comfortably. He has made the usual observation about antibiotics, that they taste like chalk. I told him that he'll get used to it. He'll also have to change his diet slightly. We had a really intense storm yesterday that knocked out the power for a while. It dumped 4 inches of rain in an hour and a half and half an hours worth of hail on top of that. No damage from the hail except for a little stripping of leaves and beating my mother's flowers to pieces. I got most of the cleanup work on the layout done. I can see the grass at Sundown again and the service area of the Knutsville Shell station is also visible once again. These areas tend to become clutter magnets when I'm working on projects. One of the hazards to be dealt with when the layout doubles as the work bench.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 5/28/2009

Wind Chill: 69°F
Humidity: 84%
Dew Point: 64°F

So Far Today
High: 73°F
Low: 69°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 7mph NW

Today High: 88 Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 80s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 65 Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 60s. Northwest winds around 5 mph.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/P5270379.jpg
 
Good morning folks

It was 66 F on the foggy roads this morning. High today will be 75 F with a 50% chance of thunderstorms.

Compared to yesterday this morning’s commute was uneventful. So far no crisis at work, but the day is young.

I forgot to mention that I almost had some modeling time yesterday but the plumber showed up.

Jeffery good to hear that your father is recovering.

If the rains hold off and she gets her homework and school project done my daughter has a softball game tonight.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Good Morning--

Muggy, muggy, muggy--dull, dull, dull. And wet----oh, did I mention kinda rainy? Had a t'underboomer last night that just dumped a pile of rain and left us with people running around in the lakes that showed up out in front of my house and the neighbour's----We're thinkin' maybe floating docks out front now?:D:D:D

Jim I just call any dang little hiccup of a pump, a Bilge pump:D:D The sump pump was what got thrown out by some small minded little pipsqueak of a person who thought they knew what junk was---:mad::mad: Hence the flooded basement----:eek: Don't mind me--my wife does interior design work and when people get into the "too much junk" clean sweep kinds of things she ends up getting people phoning her up crying about how so and so got them to throw such and such out. And the dang thing ends up being a real antique getting thrown out--:eek::mad:

PC was that a before shot or after shot? Dang thing is--that looks like me in the morning----in the afternoon---more like a baboon---:D:D:D

Chris Those diets that are used tend to be something of a learning curve for sure. When I started working in this field I really had a time with them--I ended up using them on myself just to get on top of what was really going on. They'll become easier to do as time goes on--you'll also find things that she'll be able to deal with as well:):)

I got today and tomorrow off so I'll have time to do some MRR'ing this weekend---:D:D:D I'm also trying to get some pix I took of the quarry complex around Beachville posted---this oughta be fun---:):)
 


Good Morning--


Chris Those diets that are used tend to be something of a learning curve for sure. When I started working in this field I really had a time with them--I ended up using them on myself just to get on top of what was really going on. They'll become easier to do as time goes on--you'll also find things that she'll be able to deal with as well:):)

Well, I'm kinda on her diet but modified it some to be a tad easier on me. I have a 200 cal meal shake in the morning. Then when I get home in the evening I have a sensible dinner of no more than 1000 cal. I cut out all sugars and 80% of bad carbs and only drink water as well as taking a multi vitamin everyday. As for the shake's they arn't to bad either:p I got some 0 cal. 0Carb. o sugar flavored syurp's to add to the shake to change the taste some to keep from getting board! I also work out for One hour every week day! BTW I'm Down to 205#'s:D:) If I get a sweet tooth, I mix up 100 Cal. shake to chase it away!:):):) The diet works and fast too! I think the trick is to finding a happy ballance in your diet! It's a real learning curve but I really think I got a handle on my diet. the trick is her's trying to get a min. of 600cal. in 6- 2oz. meals a day in!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Chris.....That was you? Man, why didn't you introduce yourself? I mean, I wouldn't have shook your hand after what you'd been doing with it, but I'd have had a face to go with the name!
 
Flo, you look as beautiful as ever. Ok,OK, so I'm suckin' up. I need a LARGE cup of joe.

Today's weather sucks. Only 66 degrees outside. Damp, wet, dreary...... I've been doing some wiring on the nursing home layout as I prefer that to ballasting track. And most of the guys prefer ballasting to wiring. I had to go to Radio Shack to get some more plugs as I ran out. It is coming along nicely, just a bit slow for my taste. I may not get it finished before we move, but all of the guys assured me that it would get finished even in my absence. I plan on staying around for an extra bit of time after we move if I have to. Maybe not so much have to, but I feel odd having to leave before the layout is finished. It was, afterall, my idea. And I hate leaving things unfinished.

I just hope that we can get it set up before I leave so that I can get the trim done. That will take 2-3 days, I'm sure. Angela and her sisters are working on the background and are almost done, Just a couple of sections left. They are VERY artistic, especially when compared to my talents.

Angela did the backgrounds on my layout. I was just going to paint them blue, like the sky. She and her sister did trees/forests, fields, and towns. Nice.

We received (12) box cars yesterday from a gentleman from Kentucky. All were weathered and look very nice.

I went through the roster last night and, so far, no duplicate numbers out of nearly 60 cars. That is amazing! And the cars are all in fine repair and need no fixing, other than reinstalling a few couplers falling off during transit. And that's no problem.

I must say, all of you folks in the hobby are simply amazing!!! It humbles me to know that all of you are so generous and giving to those that are in a lesser place than the rest of us. I am deeply touched and grateful that we can have a very nice layout for these folks. I am honored to be associated with all of you, both on these boards and others. And not to forget those that have provided us with material, trains, track, structures.... such as clubs, other individuals, and the LHS's that have donated or have provided a discount. It would not be possible without your gifts. And the guys, locally, that are pitching in....Thank you, all.

There is a bit of bad news on the front, though. We lost one of the residents Tuesday. One of the "railroad widows" passed away in her sleep. I saw the obituary in today's paper. I made a phone call to the home to confirm that it was indeed her. I wish that she could have seen the project finished and the trains running. She was one of the ladies that was very helpful in the planning of the layout with her recollections and memories. She provided a few pictures of the area for us to work with. A great inspiration for all of us working on the layout. God, Bless her and Bless her family in these times of mourning.

Anyway, lunch is over, and I need to get back to "work".

Thanks for the coffee, Flo.

Bob
 
Chris.....That was you? Man, why didn't you introduce yourself? I mean, I wouldn't have shook your hand after what you'd been doing with it, but I'd have had a face to go with the name!

Awwwwww Man, you know how it goes:). WHen your in the middle of a disorganize Monkey S_____ fight at the zoo, Nothing gets in the way of that!:eek: Also BTW, Did you see that fat lady move!:eek: You start throwing your poop around, PEOPLE SCATTER!:D:D
 
Afternoon, everyone.

Jeffrey, sounds like your dad is getting better if he's starting to complain. :) I'm always amazed at how much you get done in so little space.

Chris, I packed on four pounds after all the buffets on vacation so I need to get back on my diet too. One of your BBB's sure sounds good though. All those tiny meals will take some getting used to but I know several people who've undergone the procedure and they tell me it become more or less normal in about a month. How much weight have you lost total now?

Tom, at least you've got hot water again. Down here, they install hot water heaters in the attic for reasons that escape me. I'm dreading the time that mine fails since it's a 60 gallon model and has about two inches of clearance on each side to get down though the attic opening. It definitely won't be a DIY job. :eek:

BOC, I guess they must have been using some kind of little submersible pump then. I never have understood why people chuck things out when they don't understand what they are. My niece lives in Ohio and bought a home with a really nice sump pump installation in the basement. She wanted to plate over the sump pump opening because the kids kept getting their tricycle wheels stuck in the grate. :) Took a while to explain to her that stuck trike wheels were a minor problem compared to her basement begin converted into a swimming pool.

Bob, I still have to get my box off to you. It sounds like you and the crew are doing a great job with the layout. Where are you moving to and when? Too bad about the railroad widow but I'm sure she'll still be following your progress, just from a different place. Amazing how many lives a project like this touches, isn't it?

Phillip, it sounds like you must have some relatives like mine. :D People like Chris are always best avoided at family reunions.

Just like a steam bath down here today. 90 degress with a 66 degree dewpoint, which should be enough to set up a good severe storm scenario. We've had a layer of dry air develop over the region in the last several hours which is keeping a cap on convection so far. Once that dry air layer erodes, it should be an interesting afternoon and evening.
 
Jim, just do what someone did here, oh like 20 years ago. Their water heater turned into a rocket.

Sure the house needed some repairs after, but thick of the bright side, you can get a new water heater!

Spent the day water the lawn. Had a job interview an hour ago, and it went pretty well. I will know tomorrow how that goes. Now I am relaxing till later, and MAYBE I will start working on the buildings I have to finish. Wishful thinking, I know.
 
Bob Are you moving from Indiana? Here I was about ready to ask where you were located at so I could come up and help with the layout. Being unemployed now has given me time to do a few things I really like to do like going and visiting folks I have not seen in a year or two. Visited one friend today that it has been almost two years since we last spoke and he has a 1961 Ford truck that the bed and cab are connected together, I can't remember the name of the thing but it sure is a beauty. He painted it kind of a turquoise and white and mounted it on shortened 4 wheel drive Chevy chassis. Really a neat looking old truck. He had to make new floor board and the floor of the bed along with several other rusted away parts.
 
Last edited:
Jeffrey, sounds like your dad is getting better if he's starting to complain. :) I'm always amazed at how much you get done in so little space.
Yeah, that's always a good indicator. Last time I was in the hospital was just for a week and I was ready to feed the nursing staff to the crocodiles.

On the space issue, it comes down to how much do you have to work with, what can be spared and what compromises have to be made.
 


just do what someone did here, oh like 20 years ago. Their water heater turned into a rocket.
I saw one in a mobile home do that once. The guy had gotten tired of the pop valve leaking and replaced it with a pipe plug. Everything went along fine until one day the thermostat fused and the water heater became way overheated. It wasn't long before the bottom of the tank split and it took off through the roof at an angle and landed in the neighbors driveway. To my way of thinking the plumbing should have given way first but it didn't.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top