Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Thanks fellows. I still have to add some weathering to the steps and maybe some dried blood from the drunken falls. This brings up an interesting question: Many logging and mining railroads around the world were very isolated. Do you think they allowed alcohol to be used in any uncontrolled way? I'm not sure I've ever come across this question before. Anyone? Jim :)

There's an idea for another contest Jim. Find the hidden "still".

If I was the company site boss and that office was my home away from home and the carpenter had let my stairs get into such disrepair, he'd be leaving on the next train out. But not before he'd built himself a box stong enough to allow for the extra weight of the buckshot. :eek::eek:
 
Toot, Steve said many were dry! I think he meant North West.

Finally I have the tunnel/culvert scene just about finished. I just poured some water and glue is drying here and there. But this photo will give you the general idea.

Also, my reach issues are now resolved and because I build back to front I can now get down to business and finish up this redo. I left some of the rest of the benchwork showing to show how this scene fits in. It also shows some tight tolerances concering additional plaster cloth additions next to finished rock work. No worries. With practice you can all work this way: scene by scene. Instead of large and sometime daunting full layout has to be done this weekend kind of mentality. Jim:)

IMG_4076.JPG
 
Last edited by a moderator:


You've lived up here Jim. It is the Great North Wet! I remember my dad talking about the logging camps and the differences between them. If I remember right, The majority were dry but not all were strict about it. Dad told me that the cooks and the filers were the real draws to camps.

Steve
 
Indeed I come from the NW. If there is a flaw in my modeling it is the fact that I model the 7th day of a dry spell at the end of Sept. Not likely I know, but I'm really not into mud. Jim:D
 
Highly unusual for us but it has been very dry here. Witness that half the state is on fire. When I was a young man working in the woods we would have been on hoot owl. Start work at first light and shut down very early so you could do fire watch.

Steve
 
Indeed I come from the NW. If there is a flaw in my modeling it is the fact that I model the 7th day of a dry spell at the end of Sept. Not likely I know, but I'm really not into mud. Jim:D

This year Jim, we have had 1 day of rain in the last 50 or so on the west side of the mountains.

Kevin
 
Geez, Maybe I should move back to the NW. Of course here in San Diego our last rain was probably April.

Finally I attached the sub roadbed. Jim:)

IMG_4077_zps088fe9e6.jpg
 
If I remember right. We, as in San Diego went from Jan 1st to Nov 12 without any measurable rain. This was 3 years ago? Then it was a monsoon of 1/4 inch or something like that. Just enough to was some of the dirt off the trees.

We had a few good thunder storms in the mountains, I had 1 3/4 in two storms.


Buzz.
 


Toot, Middle track? Better late than never.:D

Oh yes, the boiler explosion. Not really. I think I remember an errant elbow though. Jim:eek:
 
This photo shows some more 'water' being added. Challenge now will be mixing the blue acrylics properly so both pieces match. I hadn't thought of this redo so I didn't write the formula down. Lessons learned.:o

I'm thinking of ending the 'water' on this new piece of wood. I don't think I want to carry 'water' around over my desk. Stucco rocks will become that edge. Jim:)

IMG_4078.JPG
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4080.JPG
    IMG_4080.JPG
    340.5 KB · Views: 304
Last edited by a moderator:
I am a native San Diegain :) Born and bread. I am way out east but grew up near the Zoo and the girl and boy scout camps.

I have spent more money then I will let any know at Reeds :) in La Mesa.

I have been thinking it is time for another day at Balboa park to see the model railroad. it has been about 5 years or more.

Are you closer to Friars rd or Santee, Lake Side?

Buzz.
 
Hopefully this color matching will work. Doesn't look good in this photo. Also some plaster cloth on the sub roadbed. Tomorrow after all this dries I will re-evaluate the color matching. There are at least four pours of Realistic Water to cover up the paint and then ModgePodge. Jim :)

IMG_4080.JPG
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh Know that are well. Way back when it was rabbit hunting and motorcycle riding. Now it has filled up pretty solid.

Guy I worked with lived in the mobile home park across Mission Gorge from Padre dam.

I am way out east by the big wind mills. You may have seen the reports of the fire in east county. Well it was about 2 miles south of me. So I was all packed up ready to run, just in case. Had the important stuff with me. Family pictures, paperwork and a few choice toys.

There is no telling how the fire will react to a change in the wind. They had 4 helicopters and 3 planes that I could see. They flew right over my house to and from the water trucks. It looked like they were staging the water trucks at the Golden Acorn Casino. Biggest parking lot's around.

I for one do not want to do a scale forest fire. We have had to many that were real close this year. This is the third one closer then 5 miles. Yes I was watching it very closely.


Buzz.
 


I've really enjoyed watching this build and watching how you are making big changes to the layout as well. I'm learning alot and when I move and rebuild my own layout, I may very well be using some of your methods.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top