About Pond Painting
I love ponds, lakes, all water for that matter on my layouts. I didn't have a pond on this one and that always bugged me. No more. There are different ways to do ponds/lakes. First, I will show you
my method for painting the bottom.
Painting is fairly cheap using acrylics and while it may seem daunting it really isn't. You should start by figuring out what kind of pond/lake you want. These bodies of water are far from being equal. You may want a muddy color, or green, or even blue. What is your pond located near? Logging pond? Brown will be the main color. High mountains your pond will probably be clear except after a heavy rain.
Think about your backdrop. All blue sky with a couple of clouds and you may want 'blue' look. Your pond will reflect whatever your backdrop sky is. Caution: I'm not a fan of colored water for your lakes/ponds/streams. Water is clear and should be on your layouts as well.
On the PCM&T Co. layout I wanted a clear mountain lake. My sky is blue so I will paint the bottom blue, but I won't stop there. Many folks just slap some blue paint and add their 'water' product. Wrong! If you want a believeable pond or lake try it this way:
First in the middle paint your primary color. In this case blue.
Second is some green around the edges. This helps portray the shallowing of your pond. IMPORTANT POINT: Do Not wash your brush between applications of new color. Reason: The major stumbling block to painting pond and lake bottoms is blending in the colors. By not washing your brush this job of blending becomes fun and quite doable. So, all the way through this tutorial just add paint to the brush no washing.
Third, Add some gray to the green edge area.
More later. Jim
