Recent content by Diesel-Electric

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. Diesel-Electric

    Rivet counting Vs Fun

    Hey People, I don't see myself as a rivet counter, but I do like when my models have almost correct dimensions and proportions. I can live with no rivets simulated and finer details, like tiny vents, decal, and similar missing. As mentioned, we never can get every tiny detail into our small...
  2. Diesel-Electric

    Loco Roster

    Hello there, My loco roster has a new addition! This is something to celebrate (to me at least), as this is my very first 6 axle locomotive! Here she is: Athearn RTR Norfolk Southern SD40-2 #3339 That brings the total up to 5 Norfolk Southern units: Athearn RTR GP38-2s #5287 & #5325...
  3. Diesel-Electric

    5 pole motors

    Hello bnsf971, Thanks for pointing out my wrong information, and also apologies for late reply. I was always under the impression that my two Athearn RTR GP38-2s had 3 pole motors, I just checked them today after reading your reply and yes, they have 5 pole motors! Rather ashamed! However...
  4. Diesel-Electric

    5 pole motors

    Hello People, As some may know, I'm planning on buying an Athearn RTR SD40E (SD50) and also an Athearn RTR SD40-2, if finances permit next year. These will be my very first six axle units. Having experience with two Athearn RTR GP38-2s with 3 pole motors (the two above mentioned SDs come with...
  5. Diesel-Electric

    amfleet nightmare

    Throwing away 3 $75 passenger cars just because of a paint problem? Nice! How about sending one to me too? I'll love to have one though I don't model passenger trains :)! DE
  6. Diesel-Electric

    Loco Roster

    Hey there! Well, I thought I'll show my locomotives too. My collection is nothing compared to most of the ones shown here. However, I'm proud of my very tiny collection :). My locomotives: 2 Athearn GP38-2s Norfolk Southern 5287 & 5325 2 Atlas Trainman 3GS21Bs Norfolk Southern 300 & 301...
  7. Diesel-Electric

    Kadee Metal wheel sets and speed limits.

    Hello there, Thanks again Cjcrescent! Regards, DE.
  8. Diesel-Electric

    Kadee Metal wheel sets and speed limits.

    Hello People, Nice, thanks for the info. Cjcrescent, on my Accurail Box cars the Data reads as follows: CAPY 157,000 LD LMT 158,000 LT WT 61,700 Accurail Hopper cars : CAPY 200,000 LD LMT 203,500 LT WT...
  9. Diesel-Electric

    Kadee Metal wheel sets and speed limits.

    Hello people, I have 6 freight cars that have plastic wheels, one Walthers Trainline flat car, two Accurail 5600 series 50' boxcars and three Accurail 2000 series hopper cars. I wish to install metal wheels on them, and I've been looking at Kadee #520 33" metal wheels...
  10. Diesel-Electric

    What switch size and brand should I select?

    What are typical speed limits on US railroads? Hello there, I would have liked to start another thread, but I thought otherwise and just ask this new question in this one itself. I would like to know what are the typical speed limits on mainlines(specifically single track mainline) and...
  11. Diesel-Electric

    What switch size and brand should I select?

    Hey, cg15, Thanks for the offer, I'll look into it. Till now getting the finances straight, these things are expensive to import to my country:)! Regards, DE
  12. Diesel-Electric

    What switch size and brand should I select?

    Hello there, Well, I think I'll go ahead and glue the points down with silicon :rolleyes:. One can just remove it easily if needed. Thanks again! Regards, DE
  13. Diesel-Electric

    What switch size and brand should I select?

    Hello there, Thanks notabob! That's nice information, I'm surprised the #5 turn out has a radius of 26". One more question: I've seen somewhere that says when nailing the track down, that to never nail down the switch track and only the flex track or the likes that join it? Any advice on...
  14. Diesel-Electric

    What switch size and brand should I select?

    Hello there, Thanks people! So Peco Streamline #6 it is then! Thanks for the input!:) I would like to have #8, but space on my layout is somewhat restricted. Also, just a question out of curiosity, what is the equivalent radius of a #6 turn out? Thanks again! Regards, DE.
  15. Diesel-Electric

    What switch size and brand should I select?

    Hello there, I'm pretty sure this topic has popped up before, but here goes: I want to get new switches for my layout, as of now the plan was to get #6 switches. However, since I plan to get an Athearn SD40E (due next year) for my layout, I'm now wondering if I should go ahead think a...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top