5 pole motors

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Hello People,


As some may know, I'm planning on buying an Athearn RTR SD40E (SD50) and also an Athearn RTR SD40-2, if finances permit next year. These will be my very first six axle units.

Having experience with two Athearn RTR GP38-2s with 3 pole motors (the two above mentioned SDs come with 5 pole motors according to specifications), I was wondering if there is any improvement with regards to performance due to the fact they have 5 pole motors?

Like: will they have better pulling power? Better low speed performance? Run quieter? compared to 3 pole motors.

I'm not interested in top speeds, I'm interested in slow speed performance (I run DC).


Also, does anyone have advice for me with Athearn RTR SD40-2s and SD50s? Please enlighten me.


I don't want to forget: HAVE A GOOD / PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR!:D


Thanks in advance!
 
Hello bnsf971,


I don't know who provided you that information, but Athearn has never put three pole motors in their diesels.

http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATH29222


Thanks for pointing out my wrong information, and also apologies for late reply.

I was always under the impression that my two Athearn RTR GP38-2s had 3 pole motors, I just checked them today after reading your reply and yes, they have 5 pole motors! Rather ashamed!

However, it now makes me wonder, if the 6 axle RTR SDs have the same motor as the 4 axle GPs......won't the SDs perfrom not as well due to the fact they are larger locomotives and driving two more axles? Like to know.......

Still like to have some opinions regarding the Atearn SD40-2s and SD50s from anyone who has them.


Thanks again!


DE.
 


Years ago I replaced all of the motors in my Athearn locomotives. There weren't a lot of choices back then until Atlas started bringing their locomotives out. There are a number of suppliers out there, probably more than when I did the remotor around 20 years or so ago. I also am in the stone ages, still running DC. I have used both Cannon and Northwest Shortline can motors which greatly improved the locomotives. My layout is a switching layout, and the slow speed performance is exactly what I was after, and the motor replacement did the trick. Some one may correct me, but I believe that there are can motor replacement kits available for Athearn locomotives. The time and money are well worth it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Years ago I replaced all of the motors in my Athearn locomotives. There weren't a lot of choices back then until Atlas started bringing their locomotives out. There are a number of suppliers out there, probably more than when I did the remotor around 20 years or so ago. I also am in the stone ages, still running DC. I have used both Cannon and Northwest Shortline can motors which greatly improved the locomotives. My layout is a switching layout, and the slow speed performance is exactly what I was after, and the motor replacement did the trick. Some one may correct me, but I believe that there are can motor replacement kits available for Athearn locomotives. The time and money are well worth it.

No correction needed. A-Line sells a replacement for the Athearns. It is a motor and 2 flywheels. Off hand if I recall the price is over $40. Walthers carries them and offers a special price from time to time in their monthly flyer.
 
A Kato HM5 motor will virtually drop in where the stock RTR motor is now, and costs about $30 list. Many of us old time Athearn runners have done that to our blue box and RTR engines.
As for experience with the SD40-2 and SD50 engines, I have both, both run very well though the SD50 is slightly better.

Also, Athearn did put a three pole motor in a diesel, but it was N scale, their F59PHI. I think it is something they would rather forget. I know I would...
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top