You've Got To Be Kidding!

I agree. Pay Pal is a pain pal. I did get the Pay Pay credit card. (had to) It seems that Ebay isn't accepted by many bank issued cards. I use Ebay for the "can't find anywhere else items"

I do not want a paypal account but there are two options for me. First I contact the vendor and ask if a check is OK if I bid and I have never been turned down on that, they just wait for it to clear. The second is that in my world, you don't actually have to have a paypal account. At this point Ebay allows you to use your own credit card at the end of the transaction process which I am fine with.

What I find you have to watch like a hawk is shipping and handling fees that simply make the purchase unattractive, particularly on "Buy it now" items that drive the price up to full retail or worse. It's a form of bait and switch.

Off the main topic, but...

Josh -- if you have to have a long password, make it a sentence you can easily remember, such as:

IwishIhadtheroomtohave36-inchradiuscurvessoIcanrunmyChallenger

Of course, the longer the password, the more chances you have to mis-strike a key. But I've heard that a password like this one is darned near impossible to break.

And, no -- I don't have any passwords like that as of now. Some days I have troubles with D O G... :D

Regards,
Tom Stockton

The 36 makes it harder but my son who specializes in such algorithms says it would take under four days. It's just a grind it out process.

Pete V

Interesting... I thought I read somewhere that once you get into passwords of that length, complete with upper- and lower-case letters, numbers and symbols (such as the dash), the time to crack the password went up very significantly.

Let me throw another possible angle: if you had a password of that complexity, would a hacker spend the necessary amount of time trying to hack into your account -- or would they opt for another, easier target?

Thanks for the info!

Regards,
Tom Stockton

Breaking the password would take many tries, which isn't available. After a few incorrect answers you get locked out with no more tries. There are distributed computing sites that spend time breaking codes and that's with thousands of computers working around the clock.
I would think even a password a quarter of the length would be just as hard to break because the breaker doesn't know what the password length is.

Here's a link to the distributed computing site that has several encryption sites.
http://distributedcomputing.info/ap-crypto.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I can almost see why the price was so high on the SDP40 shell. There doesn't seem to be too many of them out there.

-Jeff

Sometimes people get caught up in the "Heat of the battle" or just turn it into a plain ol' dogfight" determined to get what they want. I bid on an item one time and even though there was an identical item for sale by the same vendor, some knuckle-head out bid me. I got mine for the original price, he paid a dollar more.:D Greed don't pay!:D

I get a kick out of these places that have a 'buy it now' for $259.95 on an Atlas Gold 8-40CW. If they were to just look around a lil they would find the exact same thing at trainworld for $179.95...just sayin...

I get a kick out of these places that have a 'buy it now' for $259.95 on an Atlas Gold 8-40CW. If they were to just look around a lil they would find the exact same thing at trainworld for $179.95...just sayin...

I've noticed that as well. They get away with $260 bucks because a fair percentage people don't know they can get it for much cheaper if they shop around. New folks to the hobby (like me) should take note.

Here's another good ad:
MISSING WIRE FROM MOTOR TO TENDER, THE INSULATION IS FALLING OFF,SCREW TO HOLD DRAW BAR TO TENDER IS MISSING, SOME PAINT LOSS ON MODEL, WEIGHS 1.13 LBS, LOOKS VERY OLD! CONDITION IS VERY-GOOD,
:D

Back