Your Other Hobbies

Not sure if this really qualifies as another hobby, but in addition to model trains, my dad and I collect Santa Fe railroad items.

Here are a few:

santafechina.jpg
santafedrinkstand.jpg
santafeclock.jpg

Well, let's see.

Guns, hunting, trapping and fishing (not sure that those are hobbies as much as just part of life out here in the sticks).

Camping, which is when I go from where I live out in the sticks to were I spend summer weekends out in the deeper sticks.

Homebrewing beer.

Woodworking.

And Gardening.

Oh, and I LOVE to cook what I kill and grow too.

MPB

A Hobby?
Nope! Homebrewing and Wine making is a religion and must be followed devoutly by those who enjoy the good life :D

Cheers
Willis

True, and I am a devout follower of the good life. I also make my own jerky, along with deer chili and home made biscuits (no cans for me). I also cook 90% of my food in an old fashioned iron skillet.

MPB

Well, let's see.

Guns, hunting, trapping and fishing (not sure that those are hobbies as much as just part of life out here in the sticks).

Camping, which is when I go from where I live out in the sticks to were I spend summer weekends out in the deeper sticks.

Homebrewing beer.

Woodworking.

And Gardening.

Oh, and I LOVE to cook what I kill and grow too.

MPB

That's a good life. I haven't had moose or deer meat since the 70's. I used to go deep into the rain forests of Western Canada back in the 90's without a gun. What was I thinking; all those bears and cougars especially all the bears that I have bumped into. Man I was lucky especially hiking in Grizzly country and never got mauled. I've fired guns at a gun club and my first experience shooting was when I joined the Air Cadets for a week so I could get the opportunity fire a rifle. They were a bit disappointed; not because I didn't cut my hair yet, but because I quit the day my uniform came in.

True, and I am a devout follower of the good life. I also make my own jerky, along with deer chili and home made biscuits (no cans for me). I also cook 90% of my food in an old fashioned iron skillet.

MPB

Deer chili and home made biscuits... I'm salivating.

My wife and I cook all of our food from scratch. When I lived in Greece, we ate fresh kill and plucked our food out of the ground every day even our oregano. And our seafood came from the little boat you see that is heading out for the day to catch some squid, octopi, and fish. Ahhh such fond yummy days.

We had a cheap Chinese made iron skillet. What a piece of crap. We had to throw it out.

In addition to Model Railroading:
RC Flying
Sailing/boating
Flying/Aviation/Flight Simulation
Archery
Woodworking
Hiking
Scuba Diving
Board Games
Photography
Astronomy
Salt Water Aquariums
Video making

(I must be a little ADD)!

What Railroad originally used that right-of-way your on there? Cool.

That's part of the Canadian Pacific line that was torn up between Killarney and Manitou, Manitoba, Canada. There are a few sections left that can be driven. The nicest is a 9 mile stretch between Wood Bay and Binney. It descends from the prairie through a ravine and winds it's way along the creek before eventually ascending once again to prairie level. I believe we crossed a total of about 15 low trestles and two large bridges along the route. This was during one of our Jeep expeditions and you will need a short wheel base 4wd to get through here as each trestle is impeded by a pile of gravel at each end and there are a few washouts to circumnavigate requiring some tactical driving techniques. If you want to see more the rest of the photos can be found here.

Looks like a lot of fun hobbies here. mine would be photography, gold prospecting and lapidary, traveling in our motorhome and fixing up an old 79 jeep cj7 for cruising the deserts out here in Nevada. One of my odder hobbies is collecting national geographic magazines. I have every issue from 1950 to the present and many dating back to 1907. Almost forgot playing guitar.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for me, Before the divorce.. Model Railroading, Tropical Fish keeping both fresh water and salt, R/C Trucks and Cars, Airsoft Gun collection, and after the divorce the most important My son Ryan and my new Girl friend Dana! And a soon as I lock in a second job to help wit child support and extra spending I wiil be back into my other hobbies too!;)

I don't have any other hobbies anymore.
I used to have hobbies that I never finished, or got bored with and quit doing.
I spent quite a bit of money on half-finished hobbies.
So when I got into MRRing I decided that was it. NO MORE HOBBIES.
MRRing is it. If I "fall ou of love with and quit it, I will have no hobby then.
Cheaper to watch TV than spend money on half-finished hobbies and have to give stuff away!
________
BODY SCIENCE

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I've always had the same hobbies all my life. Trains, building models, bulding race cars and hot rods, motorcycles. I got into R/C planes for several years but that is over. All the others drift in and out of the spotlight depending on the time of the year except for the trains. They're pretty much year round but spend less time in the Summer with them; not because of the weather but that darned Harley out in the garage that makes me ride it.

Playing (and collecting) drums and cymbals
4989162694_1998cd01c4_z.jpg

Riding, customizing, and collecting scooters and minibikes
4955631332_7c7ca4cfe0_z.jpg

Riding (and collecting) flatland bmx bikes
4699070188_d5af84a0aa_z.jpg

workin on my z and other cars
2766933619_cafdbd29ba_z.jpg

and photography

Hobbies besides trains:
playing (keyboards & guitars) & recording music
photography
firearms
ham radio
astronomy
cooking
railfanning when the weather permits

Trains since I was a youngster, photography for a long while, and amateur radio since 03, though I haven't been active in it for a couple of years.

Since you asked...

My hobbies, listed in alphabetical order since my current favorite changes minute-by-minute... short attention span, and sometimes -- SQUIRREL!!

* Armor -- 1/285 scale, both the models and scenery

* Books -- mainly sci-fi and "military thrillers"

* Computers

* Cooking

* Music -- wide variety, but don't particularly care for rap

* Photography

* Railfanning

* Railroading -- HO scale, and still have the S scale American Flyer stuff I had as a kid

* Ships -- 1/1200 - 1/1250 and also 1/6000, mainly cast metal but also resin

* Watching sports -- NFL football is my favorite, college basketball, "top-level" soccer

Then, there are a few I still have around, but rarely participate in...

* Going to movies -- now I only go to a couple per year

* Plastic models -- 1/72 scale aircraft and 1/35 armor are my favorites

* Wargaming -- prefer WW I - WW II naval; like lots of other stuff but usually get my tail kicked... was also into the sci-fi game TRAVELLER

I'm sure there are at least a couple of others which don't come to mind at the moment...

Regards,
Tom Stockton

Back