Your Other Hobbies

Genarally over here in South Africa model railroading is seen as an 'old man' hobby....'old guys with nothing else to do'

The reason why I started this thread is so we can all see each other's interests,hobbies,sports etc....must say,quite a couple of caracters already....keep those interesting things comin'.....hope everyone is having a very nice weekend....J

A good reason indeed.

Here's a shot of me in South Africa in the 1990's.

I have way too many hobbies. R/C cars, fly fishing, occasional electronics projects, wire sculpture, cartooning, piano, and model trains. Oh, and restoring my Triumph. And...

Looks like you have driven from coast to coast?

:D Well almost, we got to Banff Alberta from Nova Scotia but that leaves out Newfoundland and British Columbia. We traveled 8000 miles on that trip, and lived in the camper with the puppy for 2 months on that trip in 2009.
Was a lot of fun and I seen an old RCAF pal that I hadn't seen since 1960

The puppy

Click-->
th_Gabby-1-2.jpg

She's between 100 and 110 lbs and 27 1/2 inches at the shoulder, nose to tail about 6 feet, males average about 140 lb.

Cheers
Willis

We traveled 8000 miles on that trip, and lived in the camper with the puppy for 2 months on that trip in 2009.
Cheers
Willis
I know from personal experience the puppy will lay in the middle of the bed, leaving any humans involved scrambling for a spot on the bed...;)

Well, I guess I'm a modeler. Model airliners mostly (and you think Model Railroading is a minority interest) I've also done ship and even a few Circus wagons out of wood. Oh yeah and a few stooges.

I know from personal experience the puppy will lay in the middle of the bed, leaving any humans involved scrambling for a spot on the bed...;)
Nope this puppy has her own bed, and for the night I put a small chain on her to keep her there :D. Actually she has the kitchen/galley whatever it's called, to sleep in, right in front of the door so we sleep quite soundly :)
Gee if she got on one of the beds I doubt I could lift her off of it.
Cheers
Willis

Distractions from model railroading

Other types of wheeled items besides trains have always been my kind of fun. Lots of railrans I know have also been involved in motorsports, oddly enough.

The J10 Jeep was bought in '83 for towing the race car to Riverside and Willow Springs road racing tracks. By '94 the racing was too expensive and the Jeep was then used to shoot video in remote locations.

I still have the Jeep. Now an AMC 401-V8 has replaced the 360 - much better! :D

Model Railroading has to now be my biggest hobby. I enjoy railfanning too but I haven't been able to get out as much.

My hobbies have actually change a lot since having a family with 2 boys and another one on the way. I used to enjoy a lot of surfing and snowboarding but I haven't had much time for that. That will come back when the boys get a little older. Those and all other sports. Cool thing is now I can start coaching my oldest in sports, so that will be a new hobby as well.

Besides sports and trains, I love off road racing. I don't have the money to build a truck or buggy yet but I sure do love to go and watch some of the races. Here's a shot of the Baja 1000 back in '05. Photo by me:

IM001492.jpg

And last, would be my love for wood working. I haven't had much time for it over the years but I still enjoy doing it as a side job. I started out making furnature then it turned into doing finish carpentry on houses. I can't wait for my next house that I should be purchasing here soon. Not only will I get the room for a layout but I am going to go crazy on the carpentry and cabinetry. Here is some of my work:

IMG_3983.jpg

^Zak if that driver was a couple of inches to the right he'd be flying over those 2 guys! LOL ! Love the woodwork ;)

Can you remember where in SA it was?

Sappi Saiccor Paper Mill, South Africa. It think it was late 1994, early 95 or 96. 50km from Durban.
I'm terrible at remembering and documenting dates.

Last edited by a moderator:
^Zak if that driver was a couple of inches to the right he'd be flying over those 2 guys! LOL ! Love the woodwork ;)

Oh yeah, I got video of the one guy moving at the last second from almost getting hit. I tell you what, some of those people are crazy at those races. I stayed behind the fence.

1.) Football- Im an Outside Linebacker/Defensive End and a Tight End. I love football, every single second of it. My team went 6-2 this season.

2.) Camping/Fourwheeling/Hunting/Fishing- (They all happen at the same place :D). My parents bought a 26ft travel trailer for traveling (obviously :p) and recently bought a new hunting camp.

3.) Kayaking- Its alot of fun, my favorite places are really shallow rivers, maybe 2 feet deep, and just cruise along and watch the river rocks fly by underneath you.

4.) Flying my Grandpas Cessna- He had a Cessna 152, but crashed it on a landing. He used to take off and let me fly when we were up high enough. Oddly enough, i would find the railroad and "chase trains" :D

Ok gang, I'll bite!
Other than Model Railroading, my hobbies include my guitars (Ibanez Stratocaster copy and an Epiphone FT-550 acoustic),
JD40.JPG

My old tractors. This 1955 Deere, aka the biggest, baddest mower on the block. That rear deck has a 59 inch cut!:D
I also have a 1967 Cub Cadet 123 and a JD R72 in the back shed.
and the Deere's stablemater, my 1988 Ford Ranger
Ranger.jpg

However, it is now under a restoration effort.
Seems I went Deer hunting, and got an 8 point buck. However I forgot my shotgun it seems, as the only thing I got him with was the front end of the truck.
Also I occasionally crank out a 1/25th scale car or 2.

Oh, and Crandell, I pester the wife too!:eek:

My main "other" hobby is fishing. I own a 1984 Bass Tracker. But haven't been able to go the past 3 years.

I also built model ships. If you remember the old Revell 1/96 models of the old sailing vessels, those are my main passion with ships. I have built at least 3 each of all of those. I still have the modesl of the clipper Thermopylae, USS Constituion, and just acquired another, CSS Alabama. I just wish I could locate, for a reasonable price, the others in the series, USS Kersarge, USS Constellation, Cutty Sark, and the Pedro Nunes.

I used to really be into Honda's a few years back and was lucky enough to have built up and customized one of my own in which was an "internet sensation" LOL :D Got a few magazine features as well as online magazine features. One of which was back in 2006 that can be seen here:

http://www.digitalhorizononline.com/feature/jun_06/jun_06.html

After some jack @$$ broke into and ripped my radio equipment apart, I decided it was time to sell and get out of the Honda scene. I miss the great gas mileage though!!

As for todays hobbys, I collect various Transformers Action figures aswell as various Marvel action figures. Im not a crazed collector that has every single one, but I have a nice sized collection that is displayed in my computer room aka "Man-Cave". I also have a few 1/18th scale RC cars that I enjoying going to the local indoor carpet track and running them with my good friend.

Ho Scale Model Trains have been a passion of mine for along time. I still have the origonal Tyco set my father gave me when I was younger though its in pretty ruff shape! I recently dove in head first and am currently building up my Fleet of both Engines and Rolling stock. Sadly, I do not have a dedicated Layout yet as i really dont have a place to build / keep it yet. Thats all going to change within the next few months however.

In September 2011, I will be getting married to my wonderful fiancee who happens to enjoy my model trains and has even contributed to my "cause" lol. The 25th of this month was Thanksgiving and coincidently was also my 28th birthday. She was sooooo awsome to get me 2 Athearn Genesis BNSF SD70ACe's W/Sound!! Anyways, i'll be dedicating a room in the house to "me" which is where the layout will be built and kept. Can't wait!!

Thats about all I can think of but it looks like alot of you have some very cool other hobbys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any BCB DXers out there?

Here's an obscure hobby.

Receiving commercial AM radio stations from long distances.

From LA I've heard WBZ (Boston) WSM (Nashville) and hundreds of others on a regular basis. Also Hawaii, China and Japan using this home made remote controlable, Air-core loop Antenna. Craziness of this sort only really works well in the winter and after local midnight.

Anyone else in this hobby that started in the 1920s?

kbkchooch - I love that tractor. I wish it was mine. :cool:

Back