You guys think you're modelers?....

First thing that came to my mind was simply......WOW!!!! Definitely has some modeling skills. That has got to be about as realistic as it gets.

Holy smokes! Not only getting the models to look really good and naturally situated around each other, but then to get the right lens, lighting, and processing software to make it all come together. Gives me something to strive for.

Hey, a guy should try, right?

-Crandell

Wow! Outstanding modeling. The only thing missing is... People. They're the toughest to model. I really like the ones with the glistening rain on the roadway at night.

one word - amazing.
there are people who will take no less.

i wish this guy had modeled trains instead...

Last edited by a moderator:
Truly amazing. :eek: I love the way he took the scene outside to give it a realistic background. I saw this once with a guys train module. Really give a look of realism to the scene.

While what he is doing is quite impressive as you pointed out Jim the scale he is working in is either 1:24 or 1:25 and is actually like compareing an HO Loco along side of the exact same thing only in LGB size and if I remember even 1:25 is a bit bigger yet.

>*>
Here's the way it's Wikipedia stated it:
1:24 scale is a traditional scale (proportion) for models and miniatures, in which 24 units (such as inches or centimeters) on the original is represented by one unit on the model. Another way one may understand scale, is if viewing a 1:24 car from a foot away, it will be as if seeing the full size vehicle from 24 feet (7.3 m) away. It is also known as "half-inch scale", since 1/2-inch equals a foot. Countries using the metric system generally prefer to use 1:25 scale, which produces a very slightly smaller model, and in informal usage the term "1:24 scale" is often used to include both.

1:24 is a very popular size for Die-cast toy vehicles, which are collected by children and adults. Primarily automobiles are made in this scale, with a few examples of tractor trailers and other larger equipment. Plastic automobile kits are frequently made in this scale.
>*>

In looking at his photographs and especially the backgrounds and all the surrounding details sush as criss crossed Phone & Power lines and other details in the background it hard for me to believe he is creating everything we are seeing. There's just too much detail to to be reporoduced effectively especially in all those images.

He make one statement that somewhat gives away what he is doing. He says, "Find a sutable background for your subject and shoot away".

Now consider the example in the defination from above, A 1:24 scale car viewed or photographed from 1 foot away is like viewing a real car from 24' away. So if he places a 1:24 or 25th scale vehicle 1 foot from the camera with a suitable background at the poroper distance they both appear to be in the exact same perspective.

It's very hard for me to believe he can recreate some of the neighborhood scenes with such detail in all aspects.

I could be wrong but what it appears he is doing is like us as modelers trying to recreate
a scene down to the last little detail and I'm talking precisely leaving nothing out and that almost an extremely difficult thing to do.

I don't know how many of you get Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette but there is a modeler by the name of Boone Morrison in Hawaii who is an Architect and recreates some pretty impressive buildings but it requires some real skill and for MPS to do all that he has done, if indeed he actually built all his backgrounds, the vehicles are complete as seen and sometimes cost $50.00 each, for all the shots he's taken is an extrodinary and highly unlikely thing IMHO.

My buddy's son is one of the top model Military Aeroplane builders in the U.S. and has spent close to six months building and detailing his models which have sold for $10,000.00 and up and all that takes a tremendous amount of time.

So while nothing is impossible it seems highly improbable, to me at least, that in each and every case he building everything your seeing in his photographs sans the cars.

Everybody here knows how much time and effort we put into our modeling effort and it always seems there is yet more to do or that could be done.

Now if you want to really see some model building although this involves WWII Aeroplanes check out this link and it will blow your mind as to what can be done and the time expenditure involved. Sorry I only have it as an email

Impressive and excellant staging of the diorama to make the backgrounds compliment the scenes.

I am a modeler! Just not a very good modeler.:D

Wow, that is very impressive to be sure!
However there are photos posted here every week that I'd have to say are no less impressive.
You know the ones.

David, I think you missed the point. Of course he didn't build a giant layout. He built some dioramas, most of which get set up on card tables outside. It's his ability to build beautiful cars that first caught my eye. All the model buildings are scratchbuilt and the details are outstanding. He then is able to arrange his dioramas and camera angles to use a real background to blend seamlessly with his model diorama. The guy is a real artist. He also seems to have some love for trains, since he has two pictures with the house, one with the tracks running in the background and another with a coal train passing by. He doen't try to kid you about what he's doing, which is why he included pictures of himself standing or looking over his dioramas.

I would argue that building in larger scales is much more difficult to make look realistic than smaller scales. In smaller scales, the three foot rule covers a lot of sins. In larger scales, every wart stands out clearly. Matt's work is a great example of the care you have to take with 1:48 scale. Except for the lack of people, he's done a great job of making scenes that simply look like the real thing.

Finescale Modeler ran a article back in the eighties about a guy who built WWII german aircraft and built dioramas, blending them into the real background. The trick was to elevate the camera so that if it was x SCALE feet above the diorama it was also x REAL feet from the ground. My son does 1/24 NASCAR models and using that technique produced a couple of shots that make it appears a real race car is sitting on my driveway! I've also done a few model plane pics that looked really good that way.

Back