Wpf 9-09/9-15

The rear unit on the front truck on the model doesn't seem to be oriented the way it appears on the prototype, Jerome...I think this is what he means. :)

Crandell, all of the brake cylinders are pointed inward towards the fuel tank. Both front and back sets. Here's the info from the gentleman that I bought it from.

Unit is heavily modified to represent the real GECX #2000, with number board holes in the rear, modified paint, modified trucks (to represent the Dofasco trucks), modified fuel tank, appropriate air horn and color, MU hoses, GE style ditch lights, proper snowplow, grab irons and antennae. On top of all this, the unit features an Accurate Lighting kit which allows the headlights and ditchlights to work, along with ground lights under the cab. If that weren't all, There is also a 55-gallon drum and oil lines on the front platform leading to the lead axle, so this unit was built for testing mode, as it was in 1994.

Last edited by a moderator:
i did some light research on this unit and it was pretty interesting. glad to have seen it today:

GEDC1505.jpg

Where'd you catch that one at?

Rotor

Jerome, I assume you meant to say GECX 4400 as GECX 2000 is a B23-7. I have never seen that paint scheme before and couldn't see a number to do a search for photos. Searching for GECX 4400 does get some photos but still show the model has the wrong trucks or at least the inboard brake cylinder is in the wrong place. Your model appears to have GE's GSC trucks and should have Dofasco's short 3 axle truck commonly seen under MLW locos. The reason it had Dofascos is GE hadn't developed their own hi-ad truck yet which is needed with an AC drive.

Part of the hi-ad design is having all the traction motors facing the same direction so as they turn the axle all three axles are exerting the same vertical force within the truck. If one motor is reversed like in the GSC, two motors will be lifting their axle as they try to turn while the other will be pushing it down. In the opposite direction, two will be pushing down, the third will be trying to lift.

Modeling the Dofascos is a bit difficult at the moment. Bowser does or will be making them to put under their MLW built C630s. They show as adv. res. at Walthers. Liz Allen modified a set of Athearn HTC trucks into Dofascos for one of the Canadian locs she built.

To muddy the water a bit, Dofasco is a steel manufacturer in Canada and cast most of the trucks under equipment built there. Apparently even BN has a few Dofasco trucks under some of their SD40-2s but they are very close to the usual EMD HTC truck. So while Dofasco built many different styles of truck the short hi-ad 3 axle is what comes to mind.

Here's a photo from Railpictures.net showing the Dofasco truck:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=38007

Here's a C30-7 with GSC trucks:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=195054

Seeing that the loco was built in 1994 explains the paint scheme.

How about a little night action, as WM 209 overtakes a resting tank engine.
night%20trains.JPG

Yeah, LED's may be all the rage, but nothing imitates incandecent lighting like incadecent lighting!:D

Micheal, are you sure the crew isn't getting a killer tan in there?:eek: Wow! That looks like the cab of some of my Athearn locos. Other than that it looks real good.:cool:

Drummer: That bus is first class!:cool:

Nice job jonyb. I would have put a little more rust on the roof but it looks good. There's a similar structure in Leesville Louisiana. It was a new/used car dealership back in the 80's. The first Dodge Viper R/T10 to be sold in this area was sold there.

Jeff, it's not that bright, the photo was just overexposed because of the night shot.
Aha. I get that with my old Olympus D550Z SM camera. It takes much better night shots than my much newer Nikon L20 which makes a royal mess of them. The Olympus is a very good camera but is also very old. I just hope I don't have to buy another media card for it anytime soon. At $50 each that gets expensive! But that's the price for using an antique.

Nice job jonyb. I would have put a little more rust on the roof but it looks good. There's a similar structure in Leesville Louisiana. It was a new/used car dealership back in the 80's. The first Dodge Viper R/T10 to be sold in this area was sold there.
Thanks sir! This one was supposed to be "Southtown Hi-Fi", but I screwed up the decals. I'll search the car lot you speak of, maybe I can make a better sign or decal, "craft hut" doesn't really fit what I'm shooting for..... Ill work on that rust too.

The name of the car lot was 'Pyne's Chrysler'. It started off as Sartor Motor Company back in the 60's. Ray Pyne's retired and if I remember correctly the lot closed in the mid 90's. I believe his son, Robert, bought up the operation and moved down the highway a bit to an old Chevrolet dealership (Alford Motors) that moved out of town to the other side of New Llano. The name on the newer lot is still Pyne's Chrysler. Here's a LINK to the existing business.

Jerome, I assume you meant to say GECX 4400 as GECX 2000 is a B23-7. I have never seen that paint scheme before and couldn't see a number to do a search for photos. Searching for GECX 4400 does get some photos but still show the model has the wrong trucks or at least the inboard brake cylinder is in the wrong place.

What you're missing is, GECX 4400 was built as GECX 2000, then renumbered a few years later to 4400.

In any case, I think you're right, the cylinder should be outboard of the inside axle, facing the fuel tank, not inboard of it as on the model.

Very convincing model though! Much better then the Athearn model out of the box.

Back