Wpf 9-09/9-15

jeffrey-wimberly

Dr Frankendiesel
My projects this week were a pair of Stewart F9's and a Proto 2000 BL2, all of which needed heart transplants (remotoring). The Stewarts (Stewart/Kato A/B set) both had motor issues and the B unit had truck issues in addition. The A unit got an Athearn-type motor from a Proto 2000 FA1. The motor for the B unit is an Athearn type from a Proto 1000 switcher. Athearn flywheels were added. The B units damaged trucks were changed out with the trucks from the Proto 1000 switcher. Some surgery on the Stewart frame was required to make them fit.

DSCN1545.jpg

P2191937.jpg

Stewart F unit chassis with Athearn motor shoehorned in. What remained was to insert foam shims on either side. This was before I discovered the trucks were trashed. As you can see Gomez Addams came to visit.

P2181932.jpg

This Proto 2000 BL2 also needed it's motor replaced. After a breakin and a test it's best speed was a scale 20 mph and the motor was hot to the touch. It's replacement came from an Athearn SD40.

P2201939.jpg

This E7A (Proto 2000 E6 chassis wearing a Walthers Trainline E7 shell) also required some attention. It had a good sized crack in the nose. I put some super glue in the crack and held it closed for 15 minutes while I played solitaire.

P2201943.jpg

P2181931.jpg

I did most of that in the space of a day.

Last edited by a moderator:
DJ, I am continually awed by both your work, and your photography! WOW!

I have been doing a bit more on the Engine House. Added some soot to the doors among other things.

BranchEngineHouseDetail19w.png

Also did a bit of a photo shoot on my Walthers Roundhouse. (Getting documentation for buildings I have assembled and detailed or scratch built for the NMRA Structures AP Certificate. I have a long, long, way to go....)

Roundhouse16w.png

Thanks, Jeffrey and Ray. Ray, your engine house is a work of art. You surely deserve a merit award for your modeling. DJ.

Ray, the doors look good. I was thinking there was something else missing and found this photo:
http://www.trainweb.org/roundhouse/hrm/rhimages/photos/roundhouse.jpeg
It shows a sooty mark above each door opening like you have on the enginehouse.

I can show one of my projects for the week for a change. This is for a Halloween display/fundraiser. It is 3" long and made three small pieces of steel.
axe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It is nice to see such excellent photography of wonderful models. I haven't posted a new image myself in weeks. Here is a new one showing a busy afternoon at Seneca.

FirstcopyJ_edited_res.png

I weathered some of my autoracks this week.

An autorack train lead by an ES44AC at the Big Ten loop in Coal Creek Canyon.

P1000646_1.jpg

Crandell. Neat bus! Whose model?

Alan, I honestly don't know. I picked it up on Vancouver Island at a toy store five years ago. It was not in a box. It is diecast metal with a wind-up momentum motor of the kind where you push down and backward on the bus to wind up an internal spring. It is Chinese, and there is a logo with a capital S over a circle, and there are eight thin lines left of the S a short distance and running into it.

i guess the structural engineer's gave the ok to run heavy 6 axle power? LOL

What you going to paint it? I've hated that demo scheme since I first saw it.

Steve, yeah the bridge is a bit light for that big monster. She'll stay in the GE paint scheme. I kinda like it. It'll match the GE C44-9W I have in Demo paint.

i did some light research on this unit and it was pretty interesting. glad to have seen it today:

GEDC1505.jpg

Back