WPF 19 20 21 October

EMD Reunion

Down at the club today, three trains got ready to pull at the same time, so we hostled 'em around for a "Class Photo"

The SSW and MKT power is mine, the C&O is fellow MRRF'er wongsing's.

Steve, that's really something that you have steam power over there that's still being used in at least semi-regular service. You Brits have an amazing variety of passenger trains and liveries compared to our pretty bland Amtrak. Privatization has really made British trains a lot more colorful. Nice weathering jobs on those American prototypes too. Do other modelers in the UK think you're a little "odd" to be modeling US prototypes?

John, nice video. The viaduct really looks good now with that weathering job.

Gappleg, I'm not surprised to see that a sign company has a sign that makes one scratch their head and wonder exactly what it means. I will say that most of the signs I've seen say something like "Police Parking Only" or "No Parking Except for Police Cars" but I'll bet I've seen 25 variations of that wording in all my years in law enforcement.

I just installed a new scene and wanted to see how it would look in a picture. Miss Lilly's cat "Puffy" has gotten caught up in the tree again and the firefighters are out trying to get him down. You can just see Puffy at the top of the tree. He's mostly brown and blends in pretty good, which makes it hard for the firefighters to grab him as he goes by. The police are there too, doing traffic control, as Main St. traffic starts to back up.

CatinTreeMedium.jpg

The lighted fire truck and police car are from e-bay. The fellow who makes them does a nice job and they usually go for a reasonable price. Do a search for "kimthehairdresser" and you usually find several different types of lighted vehicles up for auction.

Jim Great shot, look's like the dog chased poor pussy up the tree there. You can find an amazing variety of railroad modeling, European, African, American and so on over here, i'm off to a show in a mo, i'll get some pics to show you later.

Blackburn show today
large layout based on blackburn
10-08-07016-3.jpg

10-08-07005-3.jpg

10-08-07012.jpg

Greek layout modern image, very well done this one
10-08-07022.jpg

10-08-07023-2.jpg

This another one of blackburn MR clubs layouts this time in N and based on a local seaside town of grange over sands, my friend Robin has transformed this layout into somthing special, he's also equiped it with motorised vehicles useing the Faller road system
10-08-07034-1.jpg

And my new toy, a Bachmann class 47 with sound,,, very tasty machine :)
10-08-07009.jpg

10-08-07010.jpg

and at home in the yard
10-08-07013-2.jpg

all we nead now is DCC control

It is still weekend.. so just finished one of the last N modules before we go to MRR meeting: Eurospoor 2007 end October.
(still one to go...)
You can see a small/narrow road tunnel under the main tracks to Maastricht. ( built in the end of 1880!)
A German bus did not watched carefully the signboards along the road and he has to drive back BUT first he has to wait for the musiciens!!!..The farmer stepped of his tractor and is watching the scene ...( cows also)

Jos

just for fun...WPF

a very old picture of a N scale commutertrain on the mainline : Heerlen- Maastricht ,in the south of our country..
of course...fotoshopped;)

Jos

Thanks for all the nice/beautiful pictures from what you've made/ seen and sharing with us!
So I can watch and enjoy the pics too here on this forum=))

Jos

Yes Steve, finaly the end! =)
This winter we are going to start making a chem.plant on 2 modules( about 8 feet long..) so NO trees on it may be some small shrubs he he ...

Jos

ps : nice layouts you photgraphed!

Jos, those are some very creative scenes, especially with the bus that won't clear the tunnel. I can imagine you're sick of tress. I'm up to about 300 of them so far with about another 100 to go and there have been many times I wished I was modeling the desert. :)

Steve, those are some pretty impressive layouts, especially for being portable. I like that Greek village too. Your new baby looks very tasty indeed - how's the sound? Another question, if I may. I notice British locomotives are almost always cab front (or double ended) with no apparent protection for the crew in the event of a level crossing accident. Crew protection is a big deal here in the US, which is why you always see American locomotives with a fairly large nose out front. Is this just not a problem in the UK or is some kind of protection built in to that crew cab?

Also, the dog in my scene is probably something that's uniquely American. It's a Dalmatian and they were often used as mascots by fire departments with some of the dogs sitting right on top of the fire engine on the way to a call. Back in the days of horse drawn engines, the Dalmatian would run ahead of the engine and bark at other horses in the way - sort of a animal siren. :) The Dalmatian has pretty much disappeared from firefighting today but they are kind of a firefighting icon and that's why I have one in my scene. He's probably not making it any easier to get Puffy out of that tree though, now that you mention it.

Jeffrey, what road is that engine painted for? I don't recognize the scheme.

While all the excitement is going on with Puffy, work still goes on. The forest fire season is over and the P&N 70 tonner is shoving a flatcar with two locally based US Forest Service fire trucks, well chained to the flatcar, on to the interchange track. They will eventually end up in Boise, Idaho, the USFS headquarters, for repair and rehabilitation so they are ready for next year's fire season:

USFSonflatcarMedium.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats interesting about the dalmations Jim,,,most modern loco's have a built it safety cell around the crew and are VERY strong indeed, older loco's didn't have such strength built in to save the crew, they were tough old beasts and normally come off best during crossing accidents, they didn't fare very well during accidents with other trains though, i remember one about ten miles from here were an electric loco ran into the rear of a flat car, the result was the flat car got propelled 18ft into the electric loco right through the engineer and condctor, both died, my friend back then was first paramedic on scene, not nice.

Gone Fishing

Got a couple of spare hours today and was allowed to play due to good behaviour (cooked a roast dinner and did the washing up)

Used up the last of my polystyrene packing to create a hillside next to the viaduct.

S7002106.jpg

S7002108.jpg

It was suggested I needed a "lord of the manor" so found a spare "painter" Figure that look like he wanted to come up in the world, changed his white overalls for green waders nicked his paint brush and made him a fishing rod... and here he is ... The butler will have to wash the "landy" when he gets home though!!

S7002114.jpg

Started with the base coat on the riverbed ready for stocking with some salmon..

S7002101.jpg

John
RJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice progess everyone!

I have a real award-winner for you today. My friend Matt found this in a vacant trailer house and I've had it stored away for a while. I am going to weather it and eventually use it as a dead locomotive on a neglected siding on my future layout. I think it's an SD40, but I have no idea what the manufacturer is; it just says "made in yugoslavia" on the bottom - any ideas?

img1001pd8.jpg

img1002bb7.jpg

And here is some progess on my next Rock Lobsters: Walthers Trainline GP9 (former Soo), Athearn AC4400 (former beansniff), and Kato AC4400 (former CPR). Next step: decals!

img1000ny9.jpg

I think that dead SP is a Mehano or Rocco manufacturer. I have an old one in UP and I pulled the shell for a chop shop job...:D

The "made in yugoslavia" is a dead giveaway to AHM, also known as IHC and Rivarossi. They produced almost all their later models in Yugoslavia instead of Italy due to cheaper manufacturing costs during the mid-80's through about 1993, when Yugoslavia ceased to exist. Unfortunately, these Yugoslavian engines were among some of the worst ever made so finding a place for it on a RIP track is a good idea.

Back