Worse case scenario? Bachmann goes out of business

Its a shame that the gentleman Lee Riley passed away. He was really an excellent guiding hand for their products.

Ah, 'Sams Trains'... [Rolls eyes upwards...]

Unfortunately, the doom mongerers, tea leaf and chicken entrail readers and anyone with an "opinion" and access to social media have been prattling on the last few weeks about the supposedly doomed UK model railway scene as one major annual show was cancelled in the same week that a major retailer shut up shop.

A lot of nonsense and waffle has appeared in the popular press and online, much of which is not worthy of further comment.

Unfortunately, the doom mongerers, tea leaf and chicken entrail readers and anyone with an "opinion" and access to social media have been prattling on the last few weeks about the supposedly doomed UK model railway scene as one major annual show was cancelled in the same week that a major retailer shut up shop.

A lot of nonsense and waffle has appeared in the popular press and online, much of which is not worthy of further comment.
Regardless he is entitled to an opinion, whether he's correct in his assumptions is another matter, only time will tell.

But it does raise the point of where is OO scale going, we're the only country that uses it, fewer modellers are coming in and taking it on as a hobby and you can get far more for your money in HO scale. A good example is Marklins Flying Scotsman and Hornby's, for £300 I get a DCC ready locomotive, (plus another £50 for a so-so sound decoder), for £150 more I get decent sound, smoke, firebox flicker, and classification lights on a HO model.

From Marklin for £500 I get
  • Completely new tooling.
  • Especially intricate metal construction.
  • Many separately applied details.
  • Factory-installed smoke unit with speed-dependent, dynamic smoke exhaust.
  • Cab and tender corridor lighting digitally controlled.
  • “World of Operation“ mfx+ decoder and extensive light and sound functions included.
  • Buffer height on the locomotive and tender adheres to the NEM.
And this is what I get for £300 from Hornby

Tech Specs​

DCC StatusTXS Sound Decoders

Last edited:
Short answer no, here's a list from the On30 website.

90+% of the companies on that list produce 0 On30 products. They at best offer O "scale" stuff, but it is compatible only in scale, not gauge.

To be honest as a relatively new N-scaler Kato, Minitrix and Dapol have impressed me more than Bachmann. I have 2 Graham Farish/Bachmann locos, and while I am delighted with my (brand new) class 37, the older loco I have that I bought second hand has a serious flaw in design. The top of the armature warps meaning the motor's rotor is often either too tight or too loose. This is a horrible design, and is common for Bachmann/Farish N guage steam locos made in the 2010ish time. My mallard has been a complete PITA because of this. So if Bachmann went under I wouldn't cry over it to be honest...
Ok it would be a sad thing, but not the end of the world for me.

Last edited:
Its a shame that the gentleman Lee Riley passed away. He was really an excellent guiding hand for their products.

I met him in Strasburg, Pa once. He was very passionate about the hobby.

Bachmann UK 00 scale produces excellent products, far superior to Hornby in my personal opinion. So it would have a major impact in the UK if it closed. The US scene, not as much impact because there are more producers than the UK scene. I actually like Bachmann US locos…I‘ve always had very good luck with their quality right out of the box so I consider them excellent value for money. Granted their accuracy and finer details are not up to the quality of say Atlas or Rapido but neither is their price. So I would miss them is they closed their doors.

I'm the opposite, well nearly, I don't like Bachmann's mechanisms overall and on older models, the split chassis design leaves a lot to be desired, detail is quite good, and I have to agree Bachmann's model detail is, overall, better than Hornby's, but I find both noisy runners.

But both companies are vying for the same middle-of-the-road market, neither seems to be willing to up their game and offer more for your money until recently, and it seems both have had to be dragged into the modern world to offer more at a reasonable price (if you consider £300 for the new version of Scotsman by either of them reasonable) by the likes of Accurascale and others.

I'm the opposite, well nearly, I don't like Bachmann's mechanisms overall and on older models, the split chassis design leaves a lot to be desired, detail is quite good, and I have to agree Bachmann's model detail is, overall, better than Hornby's, but I find both noisy runners.

But both companies are vying for the same middle-of-the-road market, neither seems to be willing to up their game and offer more for your money until recently, and it seems both have had to be dragged into the modern world to offer more at a reasonable price (if you consider £300 for the new version of Scotsman by either of them reasonable) by the likes of Accurascale and others.
I have to admit I haven’t bought a new loco from either Bachman or Hornby in at least 5-6 years so am a bit out of the loop on more recent models. But I have to say that my experience personally, plus that of most of the guys I personally know, granted only about 10 people, was that Bachmans quality out of the box, over the past 20 years was superior to Hornby. But each to their own.

Unless you care about steam engines, particularly small ones, 19th Century railroading and rolling stock, then you will notice Bachmann leaving the market. Broadway Limited majority does big mainline steam engines, their smallest being a generic 2-8-0 less detailed than Bachmann's model and the Pennsy 4-4-2 Atlantic. Athearn rarely does steam but when it does it is way overpriced for what it is and what few small steam they make is in very small numbers, basically no advertising for it, and they sell out quick like when they sold their Roundhouse 2-8-0's a few years ago that you can't find anywhere. Other than them and Bachmann you have no representation in the market vs. diesels. If you only do and like diesels then sure you won't miss Bachmann since you are well covered with lots of options available, but not everyone models current day railroads like me who has zero interest in them.
Not for nothing, no one but the retailers that sell it would care...So called "Serious" modelers don't use it, and another entry level importer would fill the gap for starter level modelers. Rest assured, Kader / Bachmann are not going anywhere.
Highly doubt otherwise they would have done so already. Walthers Trainline and Lionel HO (blah) have been the only ones that make HO starter train sets outside of Bachmann and not nearly on the same scale. Walthers Trainline is alright but offer no steam sets and Lionel, well is Lionel. Their HO is rebranded Model Power/Mantua/Marx tooling that is overall crap. Bachmann is better quality than Lionel in this scale.
So I guess, the hobby of model railroading will be around for a long time? Nothing to worry about, right?
I would say yes to a degree. You can budget in this hobby but noobs don't want to do extensive research to find a cheap train they expect to just hop on Amazon and have something delivered to their door right away. That is the nature of commerce now whether people agree with it, like it, or not.
Especially, considering Kader is owned by the Communist Government of China, (PDR).
Unless you only buy from Accurail, KATO(?), Bowser, or ScaleTrains you are supporting the PRC. Every other HO manufacturer outsources to China and you think their government has a hands off approach to it? Like they are letting them in as a charity? No, the Chinese government profits off American companies in China from the tax revenue collected to the stealing of IP's. Every factory has political commissars and every company there must submit complete control and authority to the PRC or you will not operate there. They can commandeer the factory for any reason on a whim, take your tooling, and there is nothing you can do about it. So if you don't want to buy from Bachmann because they are Kader owned I hope you don't buy anything from Walthers, Athearn, Rapido, Atlas, BLI, etc. since they all are benefiting the Chinese government too.

Well if you watched the video you would have seen that he took a balanced approach and showed the argument on both sides while ultimately concluding the hobby is fine despite the UK's recent setbacks.

Last edited:

Back