Woody & Son Railroad (WSR)

Just my opinion

If you are happy with the layout then I would not waste time and money on the landscaping over the grass mat you probably wont be satisfied the way it turns out. I would make sure everything is where I want it and map it out also take pictures then take it apart put down your road bed and go from there Just my 1 1/2 cents worth I am to new to the hobby to have a full 2 cents worth.

A question to ask yourself (and your son). If you go the discard the grass mat and start on serious scenery route, there will be "down time" where the layout will be unusable. How do you and probably more importantly, he, feel about that? Will either of you be able to tolerate not being able to run trains?

For roads, how about cutting them out of cardstock (reasonably thick artists card, might even get it in gray) and just stick it down on the grass mat.

What make is your BNSF diesel and how does it run. I am looking into getting another diesel and really like that one.

BNSF is Intermountain ES44AC with ESU w/loksound. It might be their Heritage edition. I can let you know tomorrow what the box says. It runs great and love the sound. Throttle is very smooth. It is factory programmed for a long startup and shut down with associated sounds. That's one if the biggest reasons I wanted the Loksound chip. Dutch lights flash when horn is sounded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the suggestions on material for the roads. I went to Hobby Lobby and found some 2mm thick foam sheets for $.89 each that work great. Just cut them the size you want. Got some black for roads, gray for concrete, and rust color for dirt roads.
46e359275580365eb280ab38ecbe948b.jpg

900e8b831a3007f82cb6ad7d86e1fbeb.jpg

Well over the past few days I have made a few adjustment to clean the layout up a bit. Took care of a few minor track issues to make the locos run smoother. Still moving the structures around to find their spot. Looking for a few industrial structures for the side with the rail yard and open field. Purchased some 2mm foam sheets for roads. Cut the foam and laid out some roads and temporarily tacked down with small nails. My sons lives the roads as you can see in the photos. We are having a blast working on this project. Any input appreciated.
0dc22bbdf2efa5d000c72a3d4041d26e.jpg

a84d192e9e0284bb010be8f8b4894592.jpg

38f25ffb8afb356a068d91c207b43dda.jpg

b37c751fb49c2dd1ab423bdcc51e2d60.jpg

Thanks. His wants are the priority right now. I want him to be able to interact and enjoy this hobby. I did buy a nice ES 44AC with sound for us (me...lol). My plan is to make this 4x8 table more interactive for him and use the other 4x8 to start working on landscape design. So far he loves it.

Lol. I know it's hard to believe. :) We still like the Bachmann's, just not as much as these.

A little late to the show... sorry I didn't read earlier! I really like the proportions of rail to structures to roads. Nothing seems to be crowded or cluttered. Glad to see you're keeping the son involved!

Thanks bklynman01. It's been a blast enjoying this adventure with my son. He loves interacting with his cars, so that is a must. Going to start working on detailing the other table more to suit me. Then we will both have what we want.

Going to start working on detailing the other table more to suit me. Then we will both have what we want.

Sounds like a good plan, probably the best one to keep his interest high. Nothing like "ownership" to create enthusiasm.

Went to run my trains tonight and my NCE Powercab acted as if there was a short and kept rebooting. Everything was fine last night. After investigating everything I could think of, my wife suggested I remove all the trains. Well guess what, Powercab powered up as normal. I started placing my locos on one at a time and all was good until I placed my 2006 model BLI class j 4-8-4 with a Qsi quantum decider w/sound on the track and wouldn't do anything. The Powercab began rebooting as if was detecting a short. I ran this loco last night with no issues. Any idea what is happening. My guess is something is going on with this loco.

Back