Woody & Son Railroad (WSR)

I'm having some difficulty figuring out how to put Caboose switches in a few spots where 2 tracks are close together or near the edge. Room does not allow installing a switch. I thought about switching 4 turnouts to the Peco brand to elevate the problem. Do I need to install switches? I am using manual switches. Any recommendations?
Any reason you are favoring the Caboose ground throws, instead of the Atlas ones? Are you thinking Peco turnouts because they don't need a ground throw at all? The one looks like it could just be moved to the other side of the track. Perhaps the first one could be cut back far enough to fit the ground throw in. If not, as some of the others have suggested wires and toggles for a remote ground throw.

Mount the Caboose throw on the far side of the other track and run an extension bar under the intermediate turnout to the one in question. Yes, that would mean cutting a notch in the board.
ThrowBar.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Atlas undermount switch machines would be the ticket there. They use the hole in the center of the throw.

This or there is a manual undermount mechanism, or wouldn't be too hard to fabricate with wire and wood.

By the way, I like the name of your railroad.

lasm

Atlas undermount switch machines would be the ticket there. They use the hole in the center of the throw.

P.S: I happen to have several of them (NIB)I am thinking about parting with.

Are these manual or electronic?

Any reason you are favoring the Caboose ground throws, instead of the Atlas ones?
Nope, I am open to any brand. I just saw the Caboose switches used at my LHS.

Are you thinking Peco turnouts because they don't need a ground throw at all?
Yes, They don't look like they need a switch and seem to have a spring installed. Very nice turnouts. Are the Peco small turnouts the same length and measurements as the Atlas #4 MarkIV?

The one looks like it could just be moved to the other side of the track. Perhaps the first one could be cut back far enough to fit the ground throw in. If not, as some of the others have suggested wires and toggles for a remote ground throw.

I've cut a few back to make them work. These 2 had a tighter space than the others.

Mount the Caboose throw on the far side of the other track and run an extension bar under the intermediate turnout to the one in question. Yes, that would mean cutting a notch in the board.

I can do that if that is the best option. That is the main one I was looking at replacing with a peco to eliminate the need for a switch since room is tight. Any idea on diameter of the wire needed for this?
View attachment 45818[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
there is a video on youtube that shows how to make a spring for an atlas turnout that will make it work like a peco turnout.

Progress made the past 2 days ...
Laid grass mat, laid track and secured with track nails, wired for DCC, Setup NCE Powercab, son decorated and ran some trains.
d15c7319801fd06d9683c45411c86526.jpg

7f3391b773342e5998bdeda78cb39ed5.jpg

aaeb68813283e60320ba9cc6abc6396d.jpg

fa21b79f3cc6d88b24f9e32d73b245b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With this current layout, how would you recommend putting some roads in? Here are a few thoughts I came up with:

1. Paint roads using a 3" roller
2. Mark and scape the grass off the roads and paint
3. Use Smooth -it and tape to layout the roads.

I'm open to any suggestions

using that stuff, you can mask off your roads, use a spray bottle with water and spray your road area. use a putty knife and scrape the road area away and paint or pour plaster or whatever.

if you are going to glue the grass mat down, just cut the roads out.

using that stuff, you can mask off your roads, use a spray bottle with water and spray your road area. use a putty knife and scrape the road area away and paint or pour plaster or whatever.

if you are going to glue the grass mat down, just cut the roads out.

I just watched a video on that method. My son wants roads now lol....so I have to do something soon. I wanted to wait and remove the grass mat and go the more detailed route and design the landscape.

With this current layout, how would you recommend putting some roads in? Here are a few thoughts I came up with:

1. Paint roads using a 3" roller
2. Mark and scape the grass off the roads and paint
3. Use Smooth -it and tape to layout the roads.

I'm open to any suggestions

Any more ideas? My son wants roads now lol....so I have to do something soon. I wanted to wait and remove the grass mat and go the more detailed route and design the landscape.

I am beating my head trying to make a decision wondering which way to proceed. I wanted something quick for my son and I. Now I'm rethinking if I should keep the grass mat and do what I can with it or remove the mat and start the detail landscaping, starting with roads, ballast, and building the 3d landscape. I know eventually I want the 3d landscaping. Wondering with my being new, if I should move that direction or stay with what I have and just add some detail. My son mainly wants ballast and roads, but know he loves the 3d look. Afraid if I install ballast now, it will be a pain to switch to 3d landscaping and possibly risk messing up some track if I switch over later. I'm at a good place to switch if recommended. I'd like to hear som recommendations.

Back